PDA

View Full Version : salt water fish

gator
05-20-2008, 01:36 PM
okay i have fished salt some and can identify 90% but a friend called yesterday and i was tell him about the baby croaker we caught for bait.he responded "yeah my father in law eats them things do you believe that" now i just figured josh knew but he didn't, there GREAT to eat. he thought they were a trash fish. this got me to thinking i wonder how many people would fish more or post more but affraid to ask what does a ------look like?
so lets don't use pictures off net cause of all the pictures of whiting i have seen there darker multi colored looking i have seen so post a picture of some saltwater fish you have caught lets try to identify all commonly caught fish in our bay. i have never caught a spanish macral any one got a good picture.
there was some confuession on hardheads and galftop so i will repost those pictures here. i hope this helps someone.

the one in the rag is a hardhead my opinion not worth eating becareful handling fins highly toxic bad infection small ones like this will get you went you toss them back easy expierance talking here.

the other on deck is a galftop fish very good eating notice long white tip fins. very very slimy channel & blues don't have anything on this fish

medulla762
05-20-2008, 02:07 PM
Here are two you mentioned. These are from a jetty trip a couple years back.

Southern kingfish aka whiting and smacks(spanish mackeral). southern kingfish may be distinguised from gulf kingfish aka whiting by the wide angled stripes of the southern kingfish.

caution=small king mackerel are very hard to identify from smakcs

gator
05-20-2008, 02:42 PM
joe is that sting ray wings i have heared there good never ate any havent caught one big enough for the trouble

medulla762
05-20-2008, 02:53 PM
yep, over 30 pounds.

I like 'em but I don't dare eat any without endocin and/or allipurinol handy...hahaha...they are extremely high in puric acid and will flare up some serious gout!

My favorite is make a soup with lemongrass and noodles...mmmm...mmmm

Melissaa52
05-20-2008, 02:54 PM
joe is that sting ray wings i have heared there good never ate any havent caught one big enough for the trouble

It could be bloody stingray! lol

Ole Bill
05-20-2008, 03:12 PM
i think ya got a sheephead in that pic to medulla at least it looks like it

medulla762
05-20-2008, 03:15 PM
indeed

kingwoodcatfisherman
05-20-2008, 05:19 PM
Thanks for the post and pics Gator. Medulla had informed me last week that I had caught hardheads at Kemah. At the time, I was not familiar with a catfish species known as a hardhead. I can see the difference between these two. So the hardhead's meat doen't taste good like a channel cat.

RAYSOR
05-21-2008, 06:23 AM
no, KWCF but a lot of folks like the Gafftop which looks like the hardhead

waterspout
05-21-2008, 07:35 AM
Gaftop is dang good grub. KWCF,, I've never tried HH,, But it diet is pretty close to that off the Gaftop, I know those cajuns eat them. They also eat Mullet in a lot of the eastern states.

Joe, you mean to tell me you get gout? rotfl! aint it grand bro,,,,

medulla762
05-21-2008, 07:37 AM
Hardheads are not bad to eat. The deal is it would take a ten pounder to get a few ounces of meat.

Most fish have a visible lateral line, with hardheads this line covers the entire side of the fish and it must be removed to be eatable.

Hardheads are all head to begin with and once you remove all that dark meat there is very little left for the table even with a five pound fish.

dwaynez
05-21-2008, 07:52 AM
Good Info being posted, keep it up

kingwoodcatfisherman
05-21-2008, 08:37 AM
Hardheads are not bad to eat. The deal is it would take a ten pounder to get a few ounces of meat.

Most fish have a visible lateral line, with hardheads this line covers the entire side of the fish and it must be removed to be eatable.

Hardheads are all head to begin with and once you remove all that dark meat there is very little left for the table even with a five pound fish.

Thanks medulla :) , that clears it up well for me on the hardhead eating question.

croxt
05-21-2008, 11:29 AM
i am still trying to figure out which is which.....kingfish....are there 4 in the picture? where are the spanish mackerel?

i recognize the sheephead and the wings......what is the small fish below the sheephead?

Here are two you mentioned. These are from a jetty trip a couple years back.

Southern kingfish aka whiting and smacks(spanish mackeral). southern kingfish may be distinguised from gulf kingfish aka whiting by the wide angled stripes of the southern kingfish.

caution=small king mackerel are very hard to identify from smakcs

medulla762
05-21-2008, 02:18 PM
There are no kings in the picture

The warning is only fyi

Scotta
05-21-2008, 02:22 PM
Very nice mess of fish and good idea on this thread Gator

allworknofish
08-24-2008, 06:48 PM
i am still trying to figure out which is which.....kingfish....are there 4 in the picture? where are the spanish mackerel?

i recognize the sheephead and the wings......what is the small fish below the sheephead?

the others are whiting. and as far as croaker go...they are nothing more than a small redfish. excellent eating and very plentiful...very closely related to reds