View Full Version : Expensive Fish

TW
07-07-2008, 09:35 AM
July 6, 2008, 12:35AM
Heavy fines levied in red snapper case
Louisiana party boat owner to pay $80,000

By SHANNON TOMPKINS
Copyright 2008 Houston Chronicle

Federal fisheries officials last week assessed fines totaling more than $125,000 against the captain/owner and the 18 anglers aboard a Louisiana-based party boat involved in a case that saw Louisiana game wardens seize more than 900 red snapper earlier this year.

The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration's General Council for Enforcement and Litigation issued the Notice of Violation Assessment in the case that began when Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries game wardens stopped the party boat Captain Charlie in southeast Louisiana waters April 28.

LDWF officers, working under a joint enforcement agreement with the federal fisheries service, reported finding 909 red snapper aboard the vessel. The recreational red snapper season was closed at that time in both state and federal waters off Louisiana. Possession of red snapper by recreational anglers was prohibited.

Even during the open recreational red snapper season (June 1-Aug. 5, this year), the daily bag limit for red snapper is two per person, excluding captain and crew.

Had the recreational season been open, the 18 anglers aboard the Captain Charlie would have been allowed only 36 red snapper.

Also, Louisiana officials said, 287 of the 909 red snapper seized measured less than 16 inches, the minimum length requirement for retaining red snapper during the open recreational season.

None of the anglers aboard the vessel, all of whom were non-residents (17 from Georgia, one from Florida) possessed a Louisiana fishing licence.

The case was unusual because of the number of red snapper alleged to have been illegally taken by recreational anglers.

Federal officials assessed a fine of $80,000 against the Captain Charlie's owner/operator, David T. Harrelson of Lockport, La., LDWF staff said. Federal officials also moved to suspend for 210 days Harrelson's permit allowing him to operate a for-hire recreational fishing vessel in federal waters.

The anglers who had chartered the vessel were assessed penalties totaling $45,450.

The case drew interest from offshore anglers along the Gulf of Mexico because of the unusually large number of fish involved and the timing of the incident.

The incident occurred soon after federal fisheries officials announced they were halving the length of the 2008 recreational red snapper season because Texas and Florida had refused to set snapper rules in their state waters to mirror those in adjacent federal water.

ewwilli2tx
07-07-2008, 09:50 AM
wow, that is pretty interesting, I guess those were some pretty expensive fish

greyloon
07-07-2008, 10:38 AM
Should have removed the license for the boat and captain.

kingwoodcatfisherman
07-07-2008, 11:35 AM
That's a stiff fine but one well waranted based on the number of fish and their sizes. I would be curious as to hear what that Captain and some of those fisherman had to say about those fines.

CAT KILLER EAST TEXAS
07-07-2008, 11:49 AM
This case is the very reason why all of the restrictions to recreational fishing. Glad to hear that Louisiana is cracking down! Just a couple of weeks ago, my family was camping at Wright Patman Lake and had went to a fish cleaning station in the park to clean our fish....I think we ended up with 20 or so. There I see a car pull up with Louisiana license plates and the guy brings over a cooler full. He pulls out about 10 in a row that I know wasn't 9 inches long at the most (catfish). I asked him if he was from LA and he said yeah why. I asked him if he knew that he was now in TX. He started to get kindof upset with me and said yeah why? I asked him if he realizes how much money in fines he had in his cooler, he said that is why you have to clean them fast and proceeded clean his catch. I hurried my fish cleaning and got the family and went up to the park ranger's station to tell him of our encounter. Don't really know what happened to the guy but I am tired of dishonest people making it harder for the honest to have family time together doing what we love.

gator
07-07-2008, 02:46 PM
yeah i saw that im glad they caught them some more of those guys the rules dont aplly to me attutude