PDA

View Full Version : Shrimp regulations-I am so confused-Please help!

NewCaneyFishingLady
07-27-2008, 07:36 PM
I am going to Sabine Lake and the Intracoastal Water Canal tomorrow to do some crabbing, shrimping and fishing. I have packed the "cast net" to target the shrimp but after reading the regulations, I am so confused.

TPWD regulations say this:
Major Bays:

Sabine Lake north of Cameron Causeway to south of a line marked by the Gulf Intracoastal Waterway (Sabine Neches Canal/Sabine River) between the eastern most tip of Goat Island to the western most tip of Stewts Island.I am somewhat clear on that part. Does that also include the water between Pleasure Island and Port Arthur?

Bait Shrimp (Major Bays and Bait Bays)

SeasonHoursLimits

2 quarts/person
4 quarts/boat on boats taking shrimp with an individual bait-shrimp trawl
No count size restrictions April 1-Aug. 14 30 minutes before sunrise to 2:00 p.m.

OK, I am clear on that part. Now to the question I hope one of you know the answer to!!!! There is a "gap" between July 15-Aug 15. What are the regulations for this time period? What we don't use for bait, we will be eating.

Shrimping for purposes other than Bait (Major Bays only)
Season Hours Limits

Spring Open Season
May 15 - July 15 30 minutes before sunrise to 2:00 p.m.

15 pounds / person / day
No count size restrictions Fall Open Season
Aug 15 - Oct 31 30 minutes before sunrise to 30 minutes after sunset

15 pounds / person / day
Must count no more than 50 shrimp/pound

lazya8838
07-27-2008, 09:26 PM
sabine is my favorite place to fish in salt water...i am waiting on the flounder run.. lol

willie
07-27-2008, 09:38 PM
your ok just don't have over two quarts per on you at any time. while your there be sure and try keiths lake