PDA

View Full Version : Need help deciphering advisory....

HawgHunter
07-30-2008, 06:56 AM
ok....so I've been checking the advisories and bans for the Galveston area....I understand less now than when I started.:confused:

I mainly concerned with the blue crab advisory (small children and nursing baby) in the area I fish....San Luis Pass, which is in the West Bay. Here is where I'm reading....
http://www.dshs.state.tx.us/seafood/Survey.shtm#advisory

Here is what I'm reading....

Galveston Bay - Blue Crab (394KB)
Galveston Bay - Fish (288KB)
Advisory 35 - Galveston Bay including Chocolate Bay, East Bay, West Bay, Trinity Bay and contiguous waters (25KB) Lower Galveston Bay (524KB)

If you click and read each link on the page you get different results. I'm not too worried about me, but with kids and a baby I really need to understand this.:help:

lazya8838
07-30-2008, 07:31 AM
it's telling you not to consume more than 8 oz of fish from these areas per month..it recomending that small children and preg.. women not eat it at all..this is for catfish of all species and spotted sea trout..when this comes up, i just don't eat fish at all from there..and for sure not my kids..they have a way of confusing every one...i think they work on that..

Ole Bill
07-30-2008, 08:29 AM
yep far as im concerned its safer not to feed it to the kids just in case ...but i feel that is the states way to stop people from fishing given areas through fear of eating toxic fish. what better way is there than to say all of a sudden after years of people eating fish from there that they are toxic now. stop and reason it out. if they are toxic now they didnt git that way over night and ya dont here much about people dropping dead from eating them. in the same breath figure it this way these areas are getting heavy pressure from fishing and they do good boys want to slow it down. if they say its off limits yer gonna get a couple of million texans ticked off by taking their fishing away so just tell em they are toxic cause they will believe everything big brother says. but dont chance your kids on it .... what i like to do is take it to someone who has the ability and equipment to test these fish and git an unbiased opinion instead of what big brother wants us to believe. all it takes is an interested group and a private lab willing to do the tests

Ole Bill
07-30-2008, 09:28 AM
truely toxic waters will not support life. that is water with enough pollution to make it hazardous to consume the aquatic life in it. filter feeders like clams mussels and oysters are a good indicator of toxic waters.

if the water is bad they are few and far between and eating what is there is not safe. if they are abundant with a good population of crab shrimp and other crustaceans then you can bet the water is a lot purer than government official and government paid scientists are telling you.

if you want to control and stop a crowd of people from entering an area then give them something to fear. i cant believe that the water is bad if the aquatic life is thriving and abundent. these animals will die and contract disease just like we would if these waters are so toxic. I bet in a few years there will be a proclamtion that states well its safe to eat the fish here now the toxins are gone.

of course the area will be overrun with runty crabs fish and other life from overcrowding not from toxins in the water you might say that the proof of toxins is the reports of people with flesh eating bacteria. excuse me but everyone has these bacteria on their bodies as i write this. it is one of the most virulant bacterias on earth and it is calledStaphylococcus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://search.mywebsearch.com/mywebsearch/redirect.jhtml?qid=E53F0208E35EF571B8804B74FBA8C19 3&searchfor=staphylococcus+bacteria&action=pick&pn=1&ptnrS=ZU&ss=sub&st=bar&cb=ZU&pg=GGmain&ord=6&redirect=mPWsrdz9heamc8iHEhldETQ7yG7eb7Dq8XWywy0uC 6DwQTfxiKaUfAXF%2BVjsnqO2MJvpkP0uzUrrpdJJ837cvw%3D %3D&ct=AR) bacteria... everyone and i mean everyone has a form of this bacteria on their bodies.

your immune system is what protects you from it and with todays lifestyle they are finding that some has lost their immunity to an extent they become suseptible to this bacteria which comes in many forms and not from toxins dumped in the water. until they can show me with unbiased reports that the waters of these areas were just polluted and by whom i believe i will still eat the fish.

what a lot of people dont understand is that the natural action of the tides the marsh lands and the gulf streams act as natural filters and if water was polluted it would soon be pure and clear if the source of pollution is controlled ...

if this is not the case and the polluters are still doing the nasty then why isnt government doing its job that we pay taxes for. the money is there why isnt it being spent for the purpose it was intended. why do i have to put up with being told not to do this or not to do that. why arent these so called sites of pollution being cleaned up.. dont tell me it takes time all it take is work and the money is there to pay for it.

im not a tree hugger i dont believe in protecting spotted owls and green toed lizards and three eyed bobbelywinks. what i have a problem with is government beauracrats telling me not to eat the fish that God put on this world for my dinner because the water is polluted. what i want to know big brother is why is it still polluted and why arent you doing what you have been payed to do. if there is any government official monitoring this site then contact me im not sqeamish about gittin into your face about it.