PDA

View Full Version : Updating Forum!

Josh
11-22-2004, 10:29 AM
I'm about to begin updating the forum. It will more than likely take about an hour just to get the basic stuff up to date. During this, there will be no shoutbox, recent topics, or basically anything on the front page besides the forum. Also the "Local Weather" may or may not need to be fixed when I'm done. The attatchment mod will definatly need to be reinstalled so there is no need for trying to post pictures for the time being. The pictures should still be intact after reinstallation however. It would be best NOT to post anything during this update, not that it will cause damage to the forum; but your data may be lost during the update. Feel free to set back and watch the update in progess. When I'm done, i'll post a new topic here, or reply to this thread letting you know. Thank you..

If you have any questions during this process, then send me a message through AOL or AIM at xXJockaXx

Josh
11-22-2004, 11:02 AM
since the board is active right now, I decided to give you all time to reply to posts or read your posts. It is now 11:00 am. At 11:30am I will begin updating, this should give you plenty of time. Thanx.

Josh
11-22-2004, 11:33 AM
no more posts should be made until the next reply to this thread. do not reply to this thread until I say that I am finished, or your post COULD be erased.

UPDATE IN PROGRESS...

Josh
11-22-2004, 12:41 PM
OK SECURITY UPDATES DONE! Which means, feel freely to post. However, I still haven't put the attachment mod back on yet so you'll have to wait a little longer to look at, or post pics. All that's left for me to do is:
Quick Reply
Attachments
Shoutbox
Recent Topics
Weather

If i forgot anything, feel free to remind me.

algonzo
11-22-2004, 01:20 PM
What is the logic on the Recent Topic feature. By selecting the Recent Topic option will we be able to see recent posts... if so, how far back does it go? Just curious... I've seen in other forums where that is an option.

Also,

Is there an option for example when you select a users profile, where it will show you if the user is online or offline, but will also show where in the forum they are located at the current time...

And also that will show you where that select user is more active by showing a percentage or posts in that section of the forum... also something available on other forums.

MODERATORS:

While on the subject... I figured I would also make another suggestion. As a newbie to fishing, I'm frequently searching the various search engines such as google and yahoo for "Fishing How-To's". I'm always looking for ways to learn new things and learn how to make certain things. I think it would be an excellent idea to add a How-To's Topic section to the forum.

I'm sure all the newbies like myself would greatly appreciate that, and would give the oportunity for everybody to learn things from eachother. I believe the moderators should come together and take the resposibility to post frequent How-To's such as How to build Flagging Jugs, How to build a rod holder, how to service your boat, how to catch crappie, catfish, how to fillet catfish/crappie, how to descale crappie, etc. but be very descriptive and add lots of pictures. Maybe you guys come up with a standard format for posting How-To's and cheryl could review/ modify and post in the How-To section. Just so that the posts are similar in formating and consistant. I might be asking for too much... but I figured I would give my .02 cents while we were in the process of whipping things in shape. I'm willing to help in that part as well. I plan on making things, and take pictures during the process so that I could share. I'm sure there are already lots of how-to's lost in the forums somewhere, and quite frankly, don't think they are getting the visualization that those helpful posts really deserve.

What do you think?

Josh
11-22-2004, 01:29 PM
What is the logic on the Recent Topic feature. By selecting the Recent Topic option will we be able to see recent posts... if so, how far back does it go? Just curious... I've seen in other forums where that is an option.

Well, it's recent topics.. So it shows the last 10 most recent topics (the set default). However, it can be set to show more or less, and without the scrolling. I'm sure it can be coded so that not all users have to see it.

Is there an option for example when you select a users profile, where it will show you if the user is online or offline, but will also show where in the forum they are located at the current time...

And also that will show you where that select user is more active by showing a percentage or posts in that section of the forum... also something available on other forums.

Saw all this on vbulletin, didn't you? lol Well, I'm sure this is possible, however it will take time and would be done after the other, basic mods were installed. I'll look into it though.

While on the subject... I figured I would also make another suggestion. As a newbie to fishing, I'm frequently searching the various search engines such as google and yahoo for "Fishing How-To's". I'm always looking for ways to learn new things and learn how to make certain things. I think it would be an excellent idea to add a How-To's Topic section to the forum.

I'm sure all the newbies like myself would greatly appreciate that, and would give the oportunity for everybody to learn things from eachother. I believe the moderators should come together and take the resposibility to post frequent How-To's such as How to build Flagging Jugs, How to build a rod holder, how to service your boat, how to catch crappie, catfish, how to fillet catfish/crappie, how to descale crappie, etc. but be very descriptive and add lots of pictures. Maybe you guys come up with a standard format for posting How-To's and cheryl could review/ modify and post in the How-To section. Just so that the posts are similar in formating and consistant. I might be asking for too much... but I figured I would give my .02 cents while we were in the process of whipping things in shape. I'm willing to help in that part as well. I plan on making things, and take pictures during the process so that I could share. I'm sure there are already lots of how-to's lost in the forums somewhere, and quite frankly, don't think they are getting the visualization that those helpful posts really deserve.

What do you think?
that's a good idea.. however, i just fix the forum when there's problems lol.. so i can't answer you :)

Gentleben
11-22-2004, 03:38 PM
Are guests still allowed in this

cherylrw
11-22-2004, 03:53 PM
Ben guest cant get on or see the forum at all..You have to sign in to view..But when he gets done with it all buttons logo etc. then Im thinking we should show the board but noone can post unless they are a member.

Josh
11-22-2004, 04:50 PM
However, I do plan to install this either tomorrow or ASAP. If any of the admins, mod's, or members can convince myself and the webmaster to install a knowledge base to place "How-To's" and such; then I will also install this. Of course I'd have to give credit for this idea to algonzo. 8)

::EDIT::
ok quick reply was installed. since people seemed to enjoy the vbulletin chat room, i'll be looking for one that resembles it.

cherylrw
11-23-2004, 12:13 AM
THANKS JOSH LOOKS GREAT

algonzo
11-23-2004, 12:55 AM
Let me be the first to say

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CHERYL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cherylrw
11-23-2004, 01:04 AM
LOL..THANKS ALGONZO :D

Josh
11-23-2004, 02:43 AM
Yes.. Looking real good I think. There are many add-on's installed now. Including calendar, photo album, we now have a portal, shoutbox (but is on the portal.. i'll see what i can do about moving it to the index too), news archive (hopefully to be used for fishing secrets such as How-To's and such), more info in profiles, more preferences, etc.....

I had a chat installed but it died lol.. RIP Chat.. I'll see if i can get one back on here though.

Also, as you may have noticed, the board has been moved and cleaned.. by cleaned I don't mean, posts deleted or users banned. I mean that the index is not as long and taking up as much space. There are subforums within forums, such as Lakes, holds all of the "lakes" forums. No posts should be gone :) Hope ya'll like it!

dwaynez
11-23-2004, 12:16 PM
The board looks great

cherylrw
11-23-2004, 01:03 PM
I HOPE EVRYONE LIKES IT...WE WERE JUST ATTEMPTING TO UPGRADE SO WE HAD LESS CHANCE OF HACKING LOL BUT THEN JOSH WENT CRAZY FINDING THINGS WE COULD USE,AND STILL HAVE OUR ADMIN AREA WE ARE USED TO

dwaynez
11-23-2004, 03:28 PM
Improvements are always good, hopefully some of the problem children will be eradicated and stop bothering the board and those that they have a grudge against. I really think this board has a lot to offer and some very knowledgeable individuals and that is why the bad apples try to crash the party because they are jealous of the family like atmosphere on this board,

just my .02

cherylrw
11-23-2004, 10:40 PM
BE SURE AND USE THE VOTE BOARD AND VOTE ON THE BOARD YOU LIKE BEST SO FAR

Thin Water Tracker
11-23-2004, 11:45 PM
New is always good chance is good. Josh is doing a jam up job. haven't more is good. I always fun to find out how to use new toys and you know what they say about boys and thier toys!

BIGDAVE
11-25-2004, 07:03 AM
Cherylrw & Josh is there a way to add the moon phases to the calendar? Small icon next to the date. This would be useful when planning a fishing trips. Example: During a full moon you have had the best luck fishing at night and early morning. Just a thought.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!

Josh
11-25-2004, 09:25 AM
well there isn't currently an option for this, but i have requested it. I wouldn't hold my breath on this though, those people that make the add-on's aren't exactly 'friendly' most of the time.

dwaynez
11-25-2004, 11:51 AM
The moon phase idea is a good one, if it can be implemented in the future that will be great if not we can create a chart and post it under the title moon phases

BIGDAVE
11-25-2004, 07:29 PM
Thanks! Josh

Josh
11-25-2004, 08:28 PM
No problem :)

dwaynez
11-26-2004, 07:46 AM
Good work on the board Josh

cherylrw
11-26-2004, 01:32 PM
Guys I can get the calendar out and put FM....HF .....OR NM .. on the dates where they should be...WILL THIS WORK

dwaynez
11-26-2004, 02:01 PM
Any moon information would be beneficial to the board