PDA

View Full Version : Christmas trees and helpers needed to refurbish Galveston beach

Terry G.
01-06-2009, 05:30 PM
Dune Seeds (aka xmas trees)
I am hoping that this is approved to this post.

There is a group of people that right after the first of the year "Plant" Christmas trees on the beach to create sand dunes. This has been proven to be a helpful thing to prevent erosion of the beach. When I say plant, it is laying them down and staking them in the sand.

Since Ike had a say-so as to the state of the coastline, the beach will be in great need of new dunes. This will take place on 1-10-09 at Sams Beach. Many of you may know of Sams Beach. Surfside between access road 5&6.

This is a plea for everyone who can that day, help. Trailers are very much needed to haul the trees down, as well as people to pound stakes and tie trees to them. Sturdy shoes, long pants and gloves are recommended. Also a heavy hammer helps.

If you can get trees from your neighbors, great! If you can supply a trailer and truck to pull it, Houston Garden Center donates leftovers to this cause. If you can come on down to "plant" that is always needed. Not an easy job, but also not hard.

Here is a link to the site that does this

http://www.coastalfishing.org/phpbb/...pic.php?t=1914

You can post there, join if not a member (free) or post here and I will relay, or PM me and I will relay. A count is needed as to how many trees to get from the Garden Center.

Thanks in advance to all that will help out.

NewCaneyFishingLady
01-06-2009, 07:03 PM
Thank you very much for letting us know, Terry.

dwaynez
01-06-2009, 08:32 PM
That is very interesting info, thanks for the post

Terry G.
01-07-2009, 07:09 AM
wonder if some one could cross reference this info to the one for "lake Houston" and xmas trees?

and hay no problem, its a worthy thing we do down there and its been going on for a few years.

Terry G.
01-08-2009, 06:10 AM
many thanks..NewCaneyFishingLady