PDA

View Full Version : Saltwater vs. freshwater

fishin steve
01-12-2009, 03:31 PM
I didn't know which thread to use so I'll use this one. I have always wondered what is it about a fish's makeup that will allow some species to live in freshwater and some in saltwater. Some species like speckled trout cannot tolerate freshwater while some species like redfish and flounder will adapt quite readily to it.

spinner
01-12-2009, 08:10 PM
Best explanation that I could find.

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Biology-664/Fish.htm

dwaynez
01-12-2009, 09:22 PM
Good topic to discuss, fish are amazing creatures. I was setting up an aquarium a few years ago and the fish called for brackish water, partially salt but still mostly fresh water.

dwaynez
01-12-2009, 09:23 PM
That article is interesting, it has some good info in it.

Thanks for posting.

fishin steve
01-13-2009, 03:43 PM
Thanks Spinner. That was pretty informative. I thought it had something to do with osmolarity but wasn't quite sure.(lol) I didn't realize that we swim in water that fish pee in!!

NewCaneyFishingLady
01-13-2009, 07:51 PM
I didn't realize that we swim in water that fish pee in!!

Oh no, not me....and I put chlorine in the pool. hahahahhahaaha Sorry, just couldn't resist it.

mikechell
01-13-2009, 09:54 PM
That's a pretty good answer in the article. I knew that answer ... looked it up years ago. But I have a better one, I think.
Freshwater fish can live in saltwater, they just choose not to, because it stinks and tastes bad and there's no good reason to go there.
Saltwater fish want to live in freshwater but the catfish, bass and other great game species keep kickin' their butts back into the ocean.

fishin steve
01-14-2009, 07:48 AM
That's a pretty good answer in the article. I knew that answer ... looked it up years ago. But I have a better one, I think.
Freshwater fish can live in saltwater, they just choose not to, because it stinks and tastes bad and there's no good reason to go there.
Saltwater fish want to live in freshwater but the catfish, bass and other great game species keep kickin' their butts back into the ocean.

Kind of like..."This lake ain't big enough for the both of us?"

dwaynez
01-14-2009, 09:47 PM
LOL, very true