View Full Version : [ KB ] How to clean a catfish

cherylrw
12-07-2004, 05:05 PM
Category: How-To's
Type: How To

Article Name: How to clean a catfish
Author: cherylrw
Description: catfish filleting

>>Read Full Article (http://fishingtx.com/forum/kb.php?mode=article&k=5)

cherylrw
12-07-2004, 05:06 PM
dwaynez

usa.gif

PostPosted: Fri 29 Oct, 2004 1:20 pm Post subject: Reply with quoteEdit/Delete this postBottom of PageBack to topDelete this postView IP address of poster
Good Post

Always helpful to see pictures along with instructions on cleaning catfish. Once you do it a few times it becomes second nature.

I was cleaning a chicken the other day and found myself looking for the fins, LOL!

cherylrw
12-07-2004, 05:07 PM
OUTLAW
FishingTx Registered Member

PostPosted: Fri 29 Oct, 2004 10:19 pm Post subject: Reply with quoteEdit/Delete this postBottom of PageBack to topDelete this postView IP address of poster
good post! Cool I haven't got any fish stink in a while. Time to try again

cherylrw
algonzo

usa.gif

PostPosted: Today at 2:55 pm Post subject: Reply with quoteEdit/Delete this postBottom of PageBack to topDelete this postView IP address of poster
This also deserves to be in the Knowledge Base section....

Maybe one of the moderators should move it... oh and fix the dead link.

cherylrw
dwaynez

usa.gif

PostPosted: Today at 2:59 pm Post subject: Reply with quoteEdit/Delete this postBottom of PageBack to topDelete this postView IP address of poster
Currently the only how to in the knowledge base is on how to make flagging jugs. This and the perch cleaning articles would fit in that category.

cherylrw
12-07-2004, 05:09 PM
algonzo

usa.gif

This may sound stupid... but this last summer when I started fishing, I didn't even know how to tie on a hook, which way the bobber went, all the simple stuff. I think those things will make some really nice How-To's. Maybe if somebody has got the time, they can post up some How-To's like that in the How-To section. How to make Rod Holders for a boat, or to fish on the bank, How-To setup your rig for different species... things like that. If I knew how I would do it myself, but it would be like the blind leading the blind.

cherylrw
12-07-2004, 05:10 PM
dwaynez

usa.gif
I will work on a few things this week and try to get some informative pictures posted. For instance there are multiple ways of rigging up for catfish.

I will try and work on a few and get them posted.

I also sent the request to cheryl to move cleaning perch and cleaning catfish posts to the knowledge base.

cherylrw
12-07-2004, 05:11 PM
algonzo

usa.gif
Sounds good... The multiple catfish riggings is exactly what I was talking about. Things like that can really help a brotha like me out.

cherylrw
12-07-2004, 05:11 PM
dwaynez

usa.gif
I will put a few things together as soon as possible it will be easier to explain with pictures as well as text, Hopefully I will have the time to work on some things this week

algonzo
12-08-2004, 12:54 PM
Cheryl,

The images on the Catfish fillet How to's are broken. Can you fix them?

TeamGonzo
12-11-2004, 12:47 AM
The problem with cleaning fish is just the problem Algonzo and I had over the summer. We had caught 2 cats out in Lake Conroe (the only fish we've ever caught) and we didn't know how clean them or fillet them. A neighbor of his skinned them for us and filleted them. Which process is easier? Randy's process looks easier to me (and less messy), but I'd be scared to leave some food on the leftover skin after you flip it to remove it from the skin. Also, are there downsides to skinning them as oppose to Randy's process? As a newbie, I'd like to learn how to clean them so maybe me and Algonzo can get some practice out at the muster. Also, I'll see if Algonzo can take his dig camera so we can take pics during the skinning process so we can post that process as well. For that matter, maybe we can go ahead and use the camera to start working on some of the other how-to's. Like riggin up lines, baiting jugs, riggin jugs, etc. What does everyone think? I'll volunteer to type it all up and handle the posts and pics.

dpiper
12-11-2004, 09:13 AM
The larger problem is leaving skin on the meat. Skinning and fileting the catfish can be done very quick with a little pratice. Some like to filet through the rib cage but when fileting large numbers of fish it dulls your knife a lot faster.

The upcoming muster will give you and Algonzo plenty of practice to hone your fileting skills.

Hey, BigDave do you have a problem with letting the Gonzo brothers in on your fileting pleasures? :lol:
Dpiper

TeamGonzo
12-11-2004, 11:18 AM
Man, I can't wait! I've been looking forward to this all week!

BIGDAVE
12-11-2004, 08:57 PM
At the last muster we cleaned 60 fish for the fishfry. I expect we will have at least twice as many to feed this time. Yep.....I am sure the Gonzo brothers will have fish cleaning behind them after this muster. hee hee he

Thin Water Tracker
12-11-2004, 10:18 PM
And they will learn the right way to clean and what too do with what is left. Plus a great way to fry them babys up.

TeamGonzo
12-13-2004, 08:43 AM
I think me and Algonzo may be getting ourselves into something we might look back and say we shouldn't have volunteered, but I think that's gonna be the only way we're gonna learn.....trial & error. Thanks, gents!

dwaynez
12-13-2004, 08:48 AM
TeamGonzo

Just takes practice, the way I learned was with my dad, he showed me how to fillet when I was younger and he made sure I did it the right way. From then on it was easym, but to me it's fun, I like nice fillets so that I have a choice of grilling, frying or baking the fish.

You should be a pro after getting your hands nice and slimy. Just watch and learn and dive right in.