PDA

View Full Version : Galveston State Park Re-opening

irfishyir2
03-11-2009, 08:46 PM
At one time there was talk about the State of Texas was not gonna re-open the state park in Galveston because of the expense of getting it put back together. I read today that they are gonna re-open the bay side on March 21st on weekends only with no overnite camping. A person will still be able to fish on the bay side. No fishing liscense required. I was glad to read about this going on. The surf side will still be closed since it still needs a lot of work to be done.
I've also read that Roll Over Pass will be filled in since the maintenance cost so much each year. That would really be a shame. They need to take the money that the government is gonna spend to build the Gaza strip and use it to redo both Galveston and Roll Over Pass..........

cacciato71
03-11-2009, 10:06 PM
Nothing is official about Rollover. This is something that they have been trying to do for quite some time. It would be a real shame, but unfortunately that is what very well might happen. Rollover is not a state owned facility, but state funds will be needed to redredge the area, which has been needed for many years now. I would definitely agree to pay a small fee for usuage if they would keep the place clean, but that isn't even on the table. The good news is that is what is on the table for the Texas City Dike. If they do that to that area then I will likely start going there again. Never fear though. There are still plenty of options for bank access other than those areas. Plus, if you aren't disabled it might be time to look into getting a kayak. Very economical and a great way to make new friends, specially on the coast.

gator
03-12-2009, 08:56 AM
at the fishing show the other day we listen to a guide that works east bay he told us that it would take 6 million to fill in roll over pass. problem is this with the flow of water it fills in the inter coastal canal on the back side with sand. so they spend, i think he said 2 million every other year to dredge it out. hes neutral on the subject but leaning on filling it in. why? other side of coin is before it was dug there use to be a lot of grass in the back end of east bay. now with the pass it allows salttinity (-5 points on spelling) to rise and kill the grass. so filling is with it filled in the grass will come back and the fishing has to improve fish quality.
this will be a death blow to the economy of gilcrest.
i wish the powers that be will look at building a pier like down south by corpus. think a big concrete pier that goes out in the gulf would still allow great fishing and keep the area alive.

Ole Bill
03-12-2009, 09:48 AM
Nothing is official about Rollover. This is something that they have been trying to do for quite some time. It would be a real shame, but unfortunately that is what very well might happen. Rollover is not a state owned facility, but state funds will be needed to redredge the area, which has been needed for many years now. I would definitely agree to pay a small fee for usuage if they would keep the place clean, but that isn't even on the table. The good news is that is what is on the table for the Texas City Dike. If they do that to that area then I will likely start going there again. Never fear though. There are still plenty of options for bank access other than those areas. Plus, if you aren't disabled it might be time to look into getting a kayak. Very economical and a great way to make new friends, specially on the coast.ya mean if im disabled i cant git a kymyyak ta scoot around in i thought that would be a good way ta git some exorcise and gator i agree with you whole heartedly

Gone Fishing
03-12-2009, 10:50 PM
Does anyone know what is happening at the East Beach Jetty's? Last couple of trips its been blocked off and very little water around the jetty's.

cacciato71
03-16-2009, 10:31 AM
ya mean if im disabled i cant git a kymyyak ta scoot around in i thought that would be a good way ta git some exorcise and gator i agree with you whole heartedly
You can get a kayak, but it might be a little hard for you to get in and out of it. I would be more than happy to help you get around in one.

Ole Bill
03-16-2009, 10:37 AM
You can get a kayak, but it might be a little hard for you to get in and out of it. I would be more than happy to help you get around in one.well i will agree except fer one thing thats the gittin in part i figure i could just fall in the gittin out might be a problem so i would have to have someone ta help me and you sound like a right nice feller to me if i can git me one down the line i will be sure ta call ya