PDA

View Full Version : Pruning members

cherylrw
12-22-2004, 01:39 PM
I have received a LARGE response fromt he members who DO NOT post much and it seems they sure like reading the information here.So I have informed them they will not be taken off.I will set this to prune users who join and dont log in within 3 months.That should be pretty fair what do you think?

We have a lot of lurkers who like to read the posts but dont like responding so keep up the good work guys..

HAPPY HOLIDAYS

dwaynez
12-22-2004, 01:50 PM
Same to you and your Family Cheryl

sounds like a great idea to me

Gentleben
12-22-2004, 04:46 PM
Sounds fair I have many friends , yes i do, and they like to come in read the posts and look at the pictures. they do not like to post , they are bashful and really are afraid that some one will bash them, as they do on other sites. That will never happen on this site as long as i am on this board.

BIGDAVE
12-22-2004, 06:38 PM
I agree. Great idea!

dpiper
12-22-2004, 08:03 PM
That is a much better idea. It would be regrettable to lose actively viewing members because they don't post.

Will the non-visiting members get a pre-prune email?

Nine Lives
12-22-2004, 08:24 PM
Sounds like a great way to "wring-in" the new year.

Thanx

In lurking mode till Spring crappie run.

Gentleben
12-22-2004, 10:26 PM
Niner we ain't wating til the crappie run :wink: we are going after them next weekend i am off, 8) DD. N-Splendora and myself.

Larry G
12-23-2004, 02:27 AM
Just a thought here. I found this sight because there was some bad mouthing of this sight on another forum. The issue was the pruning. One mans trash is another mans treasure. I'm sure there is a way to, after a period, delete old unused files on the QT and then correct any that may come with an objection. :idea:

Gentleben
12-23-2004, 03:36 AM
LarryG, they have been talking about us since we started this site and that's ok , we talk about gatherings, fishning,enclousers and ideas, they talk about us, because they have no ideas , can't catch fish and they don't know how to be nice, so consequently nobody comes to their gatherings!! Someone said we had "Hospitality "that is correct you, treat people right and they will keep coming back .
We appreciate you making "Fishingtx" your home.
Hope all who read this have a Happy Merry Christmas and Holidays too.

dwaynez
12-23-2004, 09:07 AM
Same to you and your family Ben, ( Merry Christmas and Happy New Year )

This is a great forum because everyone is really courteous and friendly to everyone who visits and joins this site. I feel very welcomed and accepted on this board and that is why I post on a regular basis and keep involved. The other boards are just jealous and childish and really have nothing of value to post so they choose to attack others. This board does not stoop to that level and that is why it is successful and will continue to be for many years to come.

cherylrw
12-23-2004, 10:46 PM
Well its great to know we get new members from being bashed he he he

dwaynez
12-24-2004, 08:08 AM
This forum will continue to gain new members because it is a quality site and the people are great. The others will bash themselves out of a site sooner or later because people want to talk fishing and the outdoors not listen to someone who holds a grudge sit on a soapbox and talk allday everyday.

just my .02 cents

Larry G
12-24-2004, 08:19 AM
I saw a picture in a post of a large blue. I asked, which lake? Never did get a reply. Woop de do. Like it is a big secret. Problem is that I saw a boat coming off of this lake in that same afternoon that, from a distance, looked just like one that I saw posted on that forum a month back. (including a very large fish net and poles that could be seen from 4 football field lengths away). :evil:

dwaynez
12-24-2004, 08:29 AM
Larry G

I believe in sharing information and helping others to enjoy the great sport of fishing. I have seen the same on other forums where people will not reveal anything unless you pay them to take you out or they are afraid you will catch all of their fish.

Oh well that's why there is a forum like this where everyone openly shares information and tries to help others enhjoy the success they are having.

Thin Water Tracker
12-24-2004, 10:04 AM
I don't have a problem with three months. But if someone sign on and doesn't post in a month chances are they will never become a active member. Dead wood does have to be trimed off a tree to keep it strong and in good heath.

dpiper
12-24-2004, 10:08 AM
I call them Jetsam.

dwaynez
12-24-2004, 10:12 AM
Members that dont make any posts are not really members to keep the forum flowing smoothly and keep it growing we need active members on the board.

Thin Water Tracker
12-24-2004, 11:59 AM
I se it as a give and take. It works better if we are all giving in some way.

dwaynez
12-24-2004, 01:16 PM
I couldnt agree more.

Gentleben
12-26-2004, 03:40 AM
Many people are under the belief that if they don't post, that their ip addy is not revealed. :D Those folks are usually here for the wrong reason :roll: :shock: anyway and do need to be cut out.
Ther is some pros and cons. :lol:

cherylrw
12-26-2004, 10:00 AM
Ben you are right they do think that...

dwaynez
12-27-2004, 08:21 AM
they will learn sooner or later they can't outsmart the admins, I say the pruning process is needed to keep the site going in a positive direction.

Thin Water Tracker
12-27-2004, 04:13 PM
Keepig the cut and paste thing block weeds a lot fo them out. I know peopel that just goes to set join cut and paste all the info they want and move on. A few of them have a large info base they have built over the years one guy has a mind blowing data base of fishig info he has set up in Microsoft Access you just type what your looking for and Bam you got the data pretty cool.

dwaynez
12-27-2004, 04:22 PM
Yep seen setups like that before, but it takes away from the purpose of the forum and that is to share ideas and interact with other people who have the same love of fishing and the outdoors, if you just want info you can do web searches for the info, but you lose out on the interaction and enjoyment of being a part of the board.

Gentleben
12-28-2004, 12:54 AM
By the ip addys there is about 4 of them still in here, 3 male and 1 female , they won't say anything they just lurk in the darkness watch and run back to camp so they can have some thing to talk about.
I can feel a fifth one on in my spirit lurking , lurking, lurking . :evil:
Let's face it , some poor folks ain't very smart enough so they just got to use other peoples stuff ifin the ygo tta say somethin, I do i tall the time :evil:

Thin Water Tracker
12-28-2004, 07:17 AM
It's sad that some people never grow up. And get off by trying to mess with good people.

Gentleben
12-28-2004, 08:18 AM
Funny thing, alot off them you can even tell by their immature handles.

dwaynez
12-28-2004, 12:26 PM
very true, they think they are getting away with something, the only thing they are doing is making themselves look foolish.

Warden
12-28-2004, 02:59 PM
There are a lot of people like that some you wouldn't even think of being that kind.

dwaynez
12-28-2004, 03:08 PM
This forum is a place for like minded individuals to share thoughts and ideas that relate to fishing and the outdoors and friendly conversation, any nonsense or lack or respect should be left on the other forums that specialize in that.

bassman940 welcome to the forum and i look forward to reading and responding to your posts in the future.

Warden
12-28-2004, 04:21 PM
from the above post , everyone seems to think alike here. what is a imature handle? i'm kinda old and not up on that stuff.

dwaynez
12-28-2004, 04:34 PM
An immature handle would be one that is offensive or inappropriate for a fishing forum, it's a matter of using your best judgement when choosing a name.

Thin Water Tracker
12-28-2004, 04:51 PM
When I do that it make you wonder why they thing they are going to be here vary long.

dwaynez
12-29-2004, 08:27 AM
TWT
very true, if you plan on being a long time member and a contributing member it is best to choose a name that is not offensive or childish in any way. Some of the immature individuals who lurk and try and cause problems use very immature handles.

Gentleben
12-29-2004, 08:47 AM
4 examlpe bassman940, there was a "fish 4 sex " or was it "fish or loving"or "assman" get the point ??
I don't even mess with explaining why they are being deactivated or deleted, they know.You'd besurprised at the number of immature handles that never get activated and we know who they are , just not sure on what they want, except tp stir strife.

Thin Water Tracker
12-29-2004, 09:21 AM
They just want to be liek the good guys but just can;t get away from the darkside

dwaynez
12-29-2004, 09:44 AM
LOL

Yep some people are just jealous of a good thing and have to try and taint it.

TEXASLEADHEAD
12-30-2004, 04:37 PM
THATS STRANGE. I THOUGH THIS THREAD WAS ABOUT PRUNING MEMBERS.

dpiper
12-30-2004, 05:06 PM
There ya go TLH. I moved the non sequitur posts to http://www.fishingtx.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1771.

JACKALOPE
12-30-2004, 06:00 PM
Does all caps still mean that someone is mad and hollering?? Just asking.

dpiper
12-30-2004, 07:18 PM
Maybe if it is not their normal style. TLH always uses all caps. No emotion intended.

BIGDAVE
12-30-2004, 07:45 PM
Bubba, normally yes. But with TLH no. All of his post are upper case. If you look to the left of the post you can see he is 120 years old. My guess is he can't see lower case. HEHeeHee Just pickin TLH. lol

JACKALOPE
12-30-2004, 10:40 PM
Guess he could be considered the senior citizen here or is it senor citizen LOL.
You men have a pretty nice forum here, I am begining to get used to it ,I was not sure at first. LOL

dpiper
12-30-2004, 11:02 PM
Thanks for the kind words there Bubba.

Thin Water Tracker
12-31-2004, 07:49 AM
As long as you post Bubba. Caps lower what ever work for you. A lot of people on the net get mad if you use caps all the time but we can tell by what you post if there something in the post.

dwaynez
12-31-2004, 08:44 AM
Each poster is different, once you get to know everyone on here you will be able to see who is upset and who is not. TLH has used all caps since joining and even posted early on that that was his style so everyone would know.

Look forward to reading and responding to your posts Bubba