PDA

View Full Version : Salt Water Newbie

basshog
05-28-2009, 08:54 AM
Man I wanna Catch me a Red or Speck or anything else out there for that matter, I've been fishing in la porte's Sylvan Beach for awhile now and I have only caught one measly baitfish size sandtrout (i think thats what it was). I mostly use what everyone else does - Dead Shrimp on a Drop shot rig, or on a Popping cork. I've tried my whole tackle box full of bass lures, but nothing seems to work. The water in La Porte is very Brown and Muddy, I think that's why I don't see anyone use ANY artificials out there. The fishing routine out there is to cast out a shrimp and sit back in a chair and wait...... and wait.... ... and wait... and wait.... then out of all the people there, someone catches a sandtrout. You can see why I ain't an Avid Saltwater Fisherman.

Why do I see pics in magazines of dudes catching Speckeled trout, Redfish on Mirror lures, Softplastics, spinners, Topwaters and all that good stuff, yet whenever i talk to a fisherman co worker or someone i run into they ALWAYS use shrimp......and the mention of even using and artificial lure is ridiculous to them.

SOMONE HELP ME !!! I SUCK AT SALTWATER FISHING !!! I've only caught one small BAITFISH ! in like 30 trips !

FlippinCrazy
05-28-2009, 09:39 AM
I wont try to explain the logic behind some of the folks ideas about not using live or artificial. I myself like artificial myself but will throw live bait Tidal movement is key for catching saltwater fish. Active bait is a good sign of activity in the food chain, bait fish dont mean that you will catch but the odds are that the bigger fish are gonna be close by. Try really productive areas and you will increase your chances by being where the fish are jetty,beachfront, in or around the passes. As an avid salt/fresh water angler I have places that are usually productive but learning to read the water is key learn this trick and you will be more productive. BUT dont forget that being on the water is sometimes enough

basshog
05-28-2009, 10:11 AM
cool i've heard the term "jettie" what is that? what do they look like?

irfishyir2
05-28-2009, 10:44 AM
If you drive along the seawall in Galvestion you will see an occational jetty jutting out from the beach. At the end of the seawall boulevard you will see the south jetty that juts out into the gulf for hundreds of yards. Take the ferry over to Bolivar penninsula and the north jetty will be to your right after you come off the ferry. The jetties are made of gigantic square grantic boulders....ya sure have to be careful when going out on the north and south jetties on foot.
Hope this helps.

scurlee90
05-28-2009, 11:10 AM
Get some GULP shrimp put it on an 1/8 oz head under a popping cork and go to town.

TXNewbie
05-28-2009, 03:33 PM
We were on the beach this past weekend at Matagorda bay. We caught Reds, Sand Trout, Hardheads and even some Black tip shark. We caught these on dead shrimp and Gulp shrimp in the color New Penny.

As stated previously you have to watch for the tides and watch for the green water comming in.

Keep trying you will get it. At least you are getting out and fishing and that is the best part.:applause:

basshog
05-30-2009, 09:24 AM
nice ... i'm gonna keep this stuff in mind when i go out again for some saltwater action.

Scotta
05-30-2009, 09:53 PM
The only thing I could add to this is that when fishing for trout find green water. Specks fish by site. Look at wind and try to think which one of these "productive areas" will hold clear water. If you cant see your bait 18 inches down, Move!

I wont try to explain the logic behind some of the folks ideas about not using live or artificial. I myself like artificial myself but will throw live bait Tidal movement is key for catching saltwater fish. Active bait is a good sign of activity in the food chain, bait fish dont mean that you will catch but the odds are that the bigger fish are gonna be close by. Try really productive areas and you will increase your chances by being where the fish are jetty,beachfront, in or around the passes. As an avid salt/fresh water angler I have places that are usually productive but learning to read the water is key learn this trick and you will be more productive. BUT dont forget that being on the water is sometimes enough

scurlee90
06-01-2009, 11:08 AM
Make sure its not to clear or the fish will be very skittish and youll be hard pressed to catch anything.
The only thing I could add to this is that when fishing for trout find green water. Specks fish by site. Look at wind and try to think which one of these "productive areas" will hold clear water. If you cant see your bait 18 inches down, Move!

harv418
06-01-2009, 04:35 PM
My Strategy for fishing Galveston Bay:

Dawn through 7:00 - Topwaters shallow. Fish a chugger or a dog walker in waist deep water around mud and shell. Trout will work a transition zone just like bass. Look for bait. Shrimp popping, mullet rafting etc. Look for current breaks.. it may be as simple as a single clump of oysters. Trout are ambush pedators.

7:00 - 9:00: move out deeper waist to chest deep. I will switch to a soft plastic, but I never stop tossing a topwater. it will always be available.

The reds wake up around 8:00 in the morning.. and they will be moving deep to shallow.. marshes are your best bet. get shallow.. really shallow. Trout will move deeper as the day progresses. Flounder will move slightly offset with the tide... as it starts moving out, they will press inward to get anything being pulled out of the grass/shell.

irfishyir2
06-01-2009, 07:30 PM
All good information, folks. Thanks!

Bass Fishin Tejanos
06-01-2009, 10:34 PM
I don't go out to Galveston much but will keep this info handy Thanks for the pointers

basshog
06-02-2009, 08:32 AM
So do u think even Though the water at sylvan beach is DARK BROWN (can't see a foot deep), do u think a Topwater will still work for Specks and Reds Early? CUz i read about that in Texas F&g and I really LOVED the Idea of Casting Topwaters and Catchin a Mean Trout or Red. Or do you think that stuff only works in Cleaner water.. cuz i've NEVER seen anyone use a topwater lure out there (la porte)

harv418
06-04-2009, 11:41 AM
my second largest speck in galveston bay (7lbs 2 oz) came off a she dog in dirty water (chocolate milk).

Often the dirty water will "float" over much cleaner water.. also, one major technique is fishing the transition line between dirty and clear.

Gentleben
06-26-2009, 10:33 AM
Good positive feed back thankjs ,keep it coming!!!!!!!!!!!!:applause:

vett0111
07-16-2009, 12:46 AM
good info guys. Thanks

parablazer
08-22-2009, 08:31 AM
Very good Information, I shall keep this in mind as well.
-Cheers-