PDA

View Full Version : trout

Nine Lives
01-05-2005, 08:39 PM
For those that might be interested, Tom Bass Park was stocked with 5,500 trout today. The park is on Cullen near Beltway 8. Close to Hwy 288.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/fish/infish/reports/trout_stocking.phtml

BIGDAVE
01-06-2005, 04:29 AM
Thanks! Good information to know.

dwaynez
01-06-2005, 06:56 AM
Cool
They will start filling local ponds with trout real soon, the local park in college station will be stocked in Late January to early Feb

mrmakAUCTIONEER
01-06-2005, 10:14 AM
good post bro. last time i did the trout thing DUNCANVILLE caught 2 - 2 1/2 pounders and one 3 pounder. cant remember what the 4th one was. using the lil yellow jig they give. slight wiggle rod tip. directly in the airiator. target the center of the pipe if yer in a pool situation. let the jig go naturaly where it wants to. just as it falls wiggle the rod tip. ignor ther first thump set the hook on the second.

algonzo
01-06-2005, 10:22 AM
Good post...

I've been trying to read up on trout fishing, as I am trying to learn a little bit about them so that I could get on some trout for the first time now that they are stocked and ready for the frying pan.

mrmakAUCTIONEER
01-06-2005, 10:26 AM
jig should represent free flowing spawm in heavey current. (wild ) **** these trout will be the farm boy types, fishfarm, hatchery stuff, fed grain, practice before showing up drop some niblets corn in in yer big dog bowl, (assuming yer dog water bowl is a big tub like yall have rotts too), garden hose should be running simulating fast current. set the niblets as close to the water source as possable, watch how they move.simulate that with yer jig. big ones feed first yaknow.

dwaynez
01-06-2005, 10:38 AM
I was able to catch some trout last year in the College Station Park, they stocked the ponds in there with trout, not a pool environment but a pond that also features bass, perch, and some catfish as well.

mrmakAUCTIONEER
01-06-2005, 10:58 AM
PONDS- let jig drop, on the fall naturally, slack line. count to 3 SLOWLY. move rod tip slightly right to left l/R, slowly. when u hit the bottom, slowlly, move jig along bottom, TROUT are spooky, save yer jumping jacks, and stomping fer the parkinglot as u pitch them bigguns inna cooler.
also remember dont do NUTTIN on first bump set hook on second thump.
trout may knock the food with their tail and swing back and scoop it up.

dwaynez
01-06-2005, 11:02 AM
mrmakAutioneer

Good Tip, I usually just fish for them with corn or sweet peas and catch my limit, I use an ultralight setup with 2-4lb test line.

I did however try a few little jigs last year and they seemed to jump on it pretty good, but the second tap is a great tip, lots of people missing hooksets on those trout.

mrmakAUCTIONEER
01-06-2005, 11:12 AM
ever wonder why a fly rod is so nimble. Trout have very tender mouths. u go yankin hard like a catfish hookset, u will go home with a fish story that will sound like this. "well i had a lot of bites, **** they musta been bitin lite cause i didnt land any". no ol redneck just shakes his head and pats ya on the back and says GENTLY BRO EVER SO GENTLY, trout is a skill. practice with a ***** driver. HOOKSET skills are wrist action only, if you yank back and yer arm moves u loose. heavier trout same tender mouth. let the fish come to u keep the line snug only, tight line, u loose.
if you are inna creek a hooked trout trout WILL be going down stream.

waterspout
01-06-2005, 11:15 AM
If you want to hammmer them use the Berkley power bait trout formula in pink or yellow. they also have real small power worms that work very good at Academy. I never have luck with marshmellows or corn. To each his own though.

l8rs!

algonzo
01-06-2005, 11:22 AM
What size line and type of hooks are typical for trout?
What should a trout rig setup look like?

mrmakAUCTIONEER
01-06-2005, 11:28 AM
noww if you are fortuneate enought to get inna tail walking adventure, and that biggun is shaking hook stuff, good time to know about keeping the line snug stuff. ever wonder why fly rods have sucha mickymouse realing system? you cant reel faster than that trout can come airborne. **** u can pull all the slack out of the line by pulling it with the the line hand stuff. u know keep yer mits off the reel crank. the line is in yer hand. if the trout is running (swimming hard away) YOU FEED IM LINE. when he turns back u pull the line snug again, nun a dis yankin stuff.

dwaynez
01-06-2005, 11:28 AM
Algonzo I am a novice when it comes to trout but I used a split shot with a small perch hook ( eagle claw ) i used a very small splishot to get the bait down and went from there.

I have seen a lot of people use a setup used for perch with a small bobber and a small perch hook with the bait of choice.

mrmakAUCTIONEER
01-06-2005, 11:29 AM
no sinkers required bro. really

dwaynez
01-06-2005, 11:30 AM
waterspout

I used those berkley trout baits last year and I did not have success with them, most likely it was due to the fish being a little picky. The small worms like meal worms did seem to work very well as did traditional canadian night crawlers cut into small pieces.

waterspout
01-06-2005, 11:32 AM
Small,, real small. I use the smallest darn treble I can find.I forget the size, but if you drop it , its gone. You'll never find it.lol four # or less line. just a real light action rod but heck it doesn't really matter you can use a heavy pole you just won't feel the fight as long as they can swoller da hook. real small jigs smalllest you can find. remeber they use those lil bitty fly's for them and you want to match that size in whatever for the most part.

algonzo
01-06-2005, 11:35 AM
While on that subject, why is it that fly fishing kits are so darn expense. I've seen starter kits going for a couple hundred bucks. Why is that?

I take it Trout are top feeders, hince the whole fly fishing for trout right?

dwaynez
Waterspout

I used a few flies last year and caught a couple as well, my ultralight setup was on a 6 1/2' rod with a super sensative tip, it worked great and made the little guys seem like they were much bigger.

So do you have better luck with a treble on the trout?
I normally use the straight single hook, maybe i will try the treble this time and see it my bite to catch ration increases.

mrmakAUCTIONEER
If you want to hammmer them use the Berkley power bait trout formula in pink or yellow. they also have real small power worms that work very good at Academy. I never have luck with marshmellows or corn. To each his own though.

l8rs!
the corn thing is a spawn thing, spring time. smallest hook, will be a right hook. fly line floats u know the leader on the fly line could be a 2 pound test u know. again gentle is the key no matter what the bait. AND NO STOMPING alloud. :shock:

dwaynez
01-06-2005, 11:37 AM
LoL

That probably explains why I did not catch them real quick due to all the people who wee stopping around and making lots of noise.

I should carry a quiet please sign like during a golf tournament, should get a reaction at least.

mrmakAUCTIONEER
01-06-2005, 11:40 AM
Waterspout

I used a few flies last year and caught a couple as well, my ultralight setup was on a 6 1/2' rod with a super sensative tip, it worked great and made the little guys seem like they were much bigger.

So do you have better luck with a treble on the trout?
I normally use the straight single hook, maybe i will try the treble this time and see it my bite to catch ration increases.

THAT IS A KEY word u know sensitive rod tip u know. the gentle stuuff again.

never use a treble thats kinda like a garden tiller in a trouts tender lips.

course as skill is aquired BARBLESS HOOKS are available too u know.

mrmakAUCTIONEER
01-06-2005, 11:46 AM
While on that subject, why is it that fly fishing kits are so darn expense. I've seen starter kits going for a couple hundred bucks. Why is that?

I take it Trout are top feeders, hince the whole fly fishing for trout right?

expensive IS ONLY THE BEGINNING BRO. catching trout is a skill so is making equipment that works. ever notice expensive trout stuff is made in america. non of this labor camp mass produce china ****.

waterspout
01-06-2005, 11:48 AM
I use a small treble cuzz you is suppose ta keep everything up to five then stop anyway. No catch and release! I don't set the hook on them just real them in, lol, they aren't specs. We used some real worms and they worked.

I figure this year I will use a cast net it shouldn't take me near as long to get a limit :shock: and I can get out of everyones elses way faster :P

algonzo
01-06-2005, 11:49 AM
Good stuff guys. I'm really learning something now. I think I'm going to need a notepad cuz I don't think this dummy can soak all that up. My wife and son will think I'm pothetic when I whip out the notepad at the lake or pond and start reading out loud....LOL

Trial and error baby.... that's what it's all about. Learn from your mistakes. If it don't work the first time... keep trying til you get it right.

mrmakAUCTIONEER
01-06-2005, 11:50 AM
LoL

That probably explains why I did not catch them real quick due to all the people who wee stopping around and making lots of noise.

I should carry a quiet please sign like during a golf tournament, should get a reaction at least.

u know u entered in trout territory skill levals when u are standing in the rapids gently fishing. and them trout are bumpin yer legs stuff. that would be right at dark er right at daylight stuff.

dwaynez
01-06-2005, 11:54 AM
I was going to purchase a fly rod setup from BPS to give it a shot, I have a friend that fishes the lake I live by for bass and perch. He gets some really amazing fights from those smaller fish. He even landed a few carp on his fly rod, that was a test for sure.

waterspout
01-06-2005, 11:55 AM
mrmak I've fished colorado and arkasas for them little buggers that were in the wild too. It is a way different world than these stockings are thats for sure!

mrmakAUCTIONEER
01-06-2005, 11:55 AM
mrmakAutioneer

Good Tip, I usually just fish for them with corn or sweet peas and catch my limit, I use an ultralight setup with 2-4lb test line.

I did however try a few little jigs last year and they seemed to jump on it pretty good, but the second tap is a great tip, lots of people missing hooksets on those trout.

ya ever land a 3-4 pounder bro? should take about 20 minutes if u win.

waterspout
01-06-2005, 11:56 AM
Matter of fact the guadalupe river is different than the ponds.

dwaynez
01-06-2005, 11:57 AM
I do like using floating flies to catch perch for my catfishing, instead of just loading up real quick I will have some fun and use my ultralight and pitch the line with a popper or fly and catch my bait, those fish seem to love those flies.

mrmakAUCTIONEER
01-06-2005, 12:00 PM
mrmak I've fished colorado and arkasas for them little buggers that were in the wild too. It is a way different world than these stockings are thats for sure!

they tase better too u know , them farmboy types, are mushier too. natural trout feel firm. a lot fermer than hatchery.

have ya tried them browns below bull shoals dam in arkesas. I WANNA do dat before i get to old and gray.

dwaynez
01-06-2005, 12:02 PM
I have a good friend who lives in Oregon ( Rosebud ) and he wants me to visit and do some fishing for trout and visit his families new home.

waterspout
01-06-2005, 12:03 PM
Ya Bull Shoals is a sweet place and a very fine fishery. The Buffalo river is good. There are several others we've(my dad and I) but I would have to strain my brain to hard it been a while sense I was there.

waterspout
01-06-2005, 12:05 PM
Heck I think I need to quit playin on this puter and go to eye's-n-hower and catch my some fitches. lil rainbow fitches that is!

mrmakAUCTIONEER
01-06-2005, 12:16 PM
mmm this thread generates interest. do i see a trout fishin trip comming soon?

dwaynez
01-06-2005, 01:04 PM
To me it is fun to discuss a fish that i don't fish for on a regular basis, that way when I do get a chance to do it I have a better idea of what I need to do to be successful when fishing.

All the input is great, lets keep it going

algonzo
01-06-2005, 01:06 PM
Clipping from a Houston Chronicle article:

Eleven area bodies of water will receive fish this winter. The fishery can best be described as "put and take," meaning that the department wants anglers to take everything they catch. There is a five fish daily, no minimum length, limit. The average length of the fish stocked is 10 inches.

There are some good stuff on this article, and matches up with everything we discussed today.

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/thisweek/zone13/sports/2977430

dwaynez
01-06-2005, 01:55 PM
Good Post Algonzo they want you to catch them all because they will only live for so long because of the temperatures, trout traditionally live in cooler waters and temperatures, so if they are not caught they may not survive when the temperatures begin to warm up.

Thin Water Tracker
01-06-2005, 02:07 PM
I fished them a lot in the pass when they stock them. I use corn and really small spinners. the first few days after they stock them then seem to slow down if the weather isn't cold. one thing I learn they don't have much flavor. the beat way to cook them is with the head on. It took me a while to try ti that way but Scale them and wash them good and a little salt and pepper and corn mill and they are great.

algonzo
01-06-2005, 02:08 PM
About how long would they last with this weather, and what does that do to the meat(Flavorwise) throughout the weeks/months?

dwaynez
01-06-2005, 02:14 PM
TWT

I will have to try the small spinners, I cooked mine with some butter and lemon and crushed black pepper and cooked them on the grill, they turned out pretty good.

But nothing compares to some good ol catfish or crappie.

algonzo
01-06-2005, 02:16 PM
I just got back from lunch with my wife, and I convinced her for us to go this weekend to Eyez-N-Hower Park and try to catch some trout. She seemed pretty excited when she read that article that I printed out and wants to take my son out there this weekend if the weather permits. She's working Saturday, so we'll be out there Sunday morning, bright and early. Anybody else going to be out there that day?

dwaynez
01-06-2005, 02:16 PM
From what I remember about last year they are gone within a few months max, they only put a limited number in the ponds and they encourage everyone to catch their limit one day and come back the next and catch another limit.

If they are exposed to the heat and begin to get weak the meat would not be very good, but I am not sure on that just my experience with other fish. They would probably die off from the warm temps before it got to that point or the majority would be caught by anglers.

mrmakAUCTIONEER
01-06-2005, 03:08 PM
yer taxi sevice pick up in ferris bro.? if so i will be der. may be in livingston this weekend? would like to get my kid inna boat before he heads back to collage.

algonzo
01-06-2005, 03:17 PM
I'll be out there Sunday, weather permitting. I might pick me up a light-medium action 6'+ spinning rod tonight. I'll be spooling it with some 8lb test line, and baiting a number 6, long shank bait holder with some Berkley Power bait, mealworms, nightcrawlers, corn, or small colorful party marshmellows two feet under a bobber casting it real slow. I've got my 7'medium action that I will respool with the 10lb test, and same rig setup, and my sons light-medium action the same way, while feeding the ducks crackers and bread.

One question? Is it limit 5 per person, or per group, or how does that work?

So from what I understood, there is no major hookset when landing these trouts right? Just let them take the bait, and give it a small hookset with the twitch of your wrist and reel it in slow.

Or what is the best way to set the hook and reel in these bad boys?

dwaynez
01-06-2005, 03:43 PM
From what i have gathered it is a soft hookset from the wrist if you try and rear back on the hookset you will lose them.

dwaynez
01-06-2005, 03:47 PM
Good Luck Algonzo
let us know how it goes with the trout fishing and post some pics if you get a chance.

mrmakAUCTIONEER
01-06-2005, 05:05 PM
algonzo - ya five fish per person.
nutter cheep rod and a real thriller fer trout is that telescoping thing 10 footer. plenty of flex on end of that one. small hits feel like major strikes,
stikes gets yer blood preasure up. fish in the basket, gets ya grinnin, like cant wait to try dat again stuff.

Thin Water Tracker
01-06-2005, 07:59 PM
One other way we have used in the pass. Get one of those clear plastic floats you can add water to and some small flies use for fly fishing and use about a one to two foot leader and throw it out and reel it back in slowly. You can add water to the float if you need get it out far or if you having to thorw it under handed the add weight help a lot. You also don't have to use a rod set up with light line just make the leader out of lite line. 202 and 404 make good fresh water trout reels.

dwaynez
01-07-2005, 07:30 AM
Good tips on trout fishing TWT,

I have a few 202 and 404 in the shed, maybe it's time to put them into action as soon as the trout are stocked at the local city ponds, they are stocking in college station in Feb.

mrmakAUCTIONEER
01-10-2005, 06:20 PM
GONZ< well did ya catch trout this weekend bro?

algonzo
01-11-2005, 08:36 AM
Ah.... forgot to send an update on that. The trip was canceled due to my sons baseball registration that we found out about at the last minute. I was planning on heading out there Sunday morning, but a late Saturday night phone-call blew that out of the water when we found out Registration was Saturday and Sunday, and we had already missed the Saturday chance. He's got tryouts this Saturday and Sunday, so I hope to make it to the tryouts Saturday, and go fishing Sunday. I told the wife that if we don't make it to Eisenhower Park, We're atleast going to Lake Houston and dropping about 20 jugs and do a little R&R. I'm keeping my fingers crossed til' then.

dwaynez
01-11-2005, 08:40 AM
Hope the tryouts go well, followed by some great fishing

algonzo
01-11-2005, 08:57 AM
Thanks... He's always been a great baseball player. He was the pitcher for his T-Ball team last year and boy he was quick. Surprisingly enough he pulled a few double plays on his own, and atleast one inside the park homer per game. He was batting third in the lineup, and the coach called him "The Cleanup Man". Pretty tough when you have to run each kid down for that out. And boy that boy could hit. I always had opposing coaches compliment me on his baseball abilities and knowledge. It just sort of comes natural. We don't spend endless days practicing either. He just gets on that field, and he's in another world and so focused and determined to get the job done. Always cheering for his team-mates, and motivating them when they are down. Always a key player in the team. He's got a few coaches that were eye-balling from last year and also the Tournament team, so hopefully he'll be one of the first round drafts. We'll be pulling for him. And to cool things off after a long week of warming up for tryouts, hopefully we'll spend some time on the lake.

dwaynez
01-11-2005, 09:14 AM
Cool

sounds like you have a future Allstar player there, sounds like he is having fun playing the game and that is what is important. I played little league and had blast doing so. It helps build character but from your post he sounds like he has his game together. You mentioned that he is always cheering for his team mates that is important and shows that he really loves the game and cares about his teammates.

I had a few coaches that promoted winning only no matter what the costs, if someone on our team made a mistake you were to let them know they messed up. I did not agree with that, but to each his own. Most coaches know how to teach the game the right way, hopefully you have some good coaches in your area. From the sounds of it you do, that is important when the kids are young that they have a coach who not only teaches the game, but teaches them how to handle the wins and losses with maturity and sportsmanship.

Best of luck to him this year and in the future, sounds like he is a team player and future team captain and Allstar for sure.

Keep us updated on the his progress as well as the teams.

mrmakAUCTIONEER
01-14-2005, 03:22 PM
back to them trout thigamagigs catch yer batch yet?

dwaynez
01-14-2005, 03:24 PM
MrmakAuctioneer how are you today sir,

The trout section has tapered off a bit, no one has posted any catches or any pictures so far. I won't get my chance in my local area until Feb.

mrmakAUCTIONEER
01-14-2005, 03:29 PM
i once caught a 21&1/4 pounder lake trout from lake supirior when i worked for the national parkservice, isle royal national park.
a zebco 202 and a 19cent pounded spoon, castin from shore in the mouth of a lil **** tall waterfall, deep water right on shore, and super huge bolder types rocks. he worked that reel to death and 20 minutes later hand over handin the line the biggun fish fell off the lure right neer shore. he just layed there fer a few seconds, and i lifted im up with my foot in a lil puddle then dove in the puddle to bearhuged and wrestle im to the beach.

mrmakAUCTIONEER
01-14-2005, 03:39 PM
http://www.isle.royale.national-park.com/hike.htm#fish

mrmakAUCTIONEER
01-14-2005, 03:55 PM
http://www.alloutcharters.com/area.html
heavy reading >>
http://midwest.fws.gov/ashland/brook/biochar/biolchar.html
more info posted on fishingt.com in upper michigan wilderness

dwaynez
01-14-2005, 03:56 PM
Wow

that is a nice catch, glad you were able to catch the fish I know I have lost some great fish at the bank

dwaynez
01-14-2005, 03:58 PM
Some great posts there Mrmakauctioneer, looked over it briefly and will read it a little later. Looks like it will be a very interesting read.

mrmakAUCTIONEER
01-14-2005, 04:04 PM
in case yall wanna dig into some really cool yooper big fish and deer bear info, nd got a lot of time on yer hands check out our UPPER MICHIGAN WILDERNESS LUNKERS LINK. at one time this was the most hit link in texas on other states or lakes on 3-5 differant sites , bet yall didnt know that eh? http://fishingtx.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=277&highlight=yooper

dwaynez
01-14-2005, 04:44 PM
Cool Post mrmakauctioneer I will take a look at it as well, appreciate the information

dwaynez
01-17-2005, 09:10 AM
Well just got word from my brother in law that in Feb they will be stocking trout in the river near his house. He lives in Kerrville and he is only 5 minutes from the river. I will be spending a few days down there in Feb searching for some trout and Catfish. Once I go I will take lots of pics and post them in the album, hopefully there will be lots of fish to see.