PDA

View Full Version : Flounder

algonzo
01-06-2005, 11:43 AM
What about flounder. I've always loved to eat flounder. I'll go down to Pappa's Sea Food and get me a a nice stuffed flounder platter for like $25.00, with some rice pilaf, and a vegetable medley, topped with a creamy shrimp and crawfish sauce, and a tad bit of Tabasco sauce and finally sprinkled with some nice cajun seasoning and salt.

I get a stiffy every time I go down to Academy and see them pictures of the them boys holding them stringers full of flounders.

That's also on my "To-Do" list this year.

Can you guys tell me a bit about Flounder and whats a good spot around the Houston/Galveston area to go to?

dwaynez
01-06-2005, 11:58 AM
I am right there with you Algonzo love to eat some flounder, the best I ever had was on a trip to Galveston at Pier 19 Resteraunt, that was some good eating.

I have only fished for flounder once but I loved it and want to go again sometime.

waterspout
01-06-2005, 12:13 PM
There are still some flatties around they never all leave the bay. Seawolf would still be good I'd guess.

Cut the head off that flounder, fillet the bone out By cutting down the rib cage on one side and the cut the bone out. Fillet all around it as tight as possible and pull the backbone and ribs out.leaving the fish in one piece. Now take that suka and put you some DJ's Booo-dan(can be found at Kroger) in dar and slide it off in the oven a bake it. You won't need Pappa's no mo! You can put u sum cream suase if ya want.

waterspout
01-06-2005, 12:14 PM
There are still some flatties around they never all leave the bay. Seawolf would still be good I'd guess and the dike. I fish from a boat.

Cut the head off that flounder, fillet the bone out By cutting down the rib cage on one side and the cut the bone out. Fillet all around it as tight as possible and pull the backbone and ribs out.leaving the fish in one piece. Now take that suka and put you some DJ's Booo-dan(can be found at Kroger) in dar and slide it off in the oven a bake it. You won't need Pappa's no mo! You can put u sum cream suase if ya want.

waterspout
01-06-2005, 12:15 PM
That was suppose to be edit not quote.eeeeeeeerrrrrr!

algonzo
01-06-2005, 12:28 PM
Some Boo-dan sounds real good about now too. Bu-dan with tabasco sauce and crackers, and I'll be set.

Every year I have a crawfish boil at my house for my wifes birthday at the end of march. Right when them crawfish start coming in big. I usually boil about 40 to 60 pounds with some corn, whole small red potatoes, and eggs. When them craw-daddys is ready pull it all out peel the eggs and let them soak in that spicy water for a few more minutes to pick up some flavor.

dwaynez
01-06-2005, 01:02 PM
I plan on having a crawdfish boil myself in the near future, but first I will make a huge pot of chili. The last time I made a 30qt pot and slow cooked it outside all day long and it was the best, if I have to cook inside I slow cook it for about 10 hours or so and it has the best flavor.

Thin Water Tracker
01-06-2005, 02:25 PM
Spuot is right you can still hok up with some at wolf. The weather never did drop and hold cool temps. there always are some around. Once spring works it's way around bay marsh and old pier piling are your best places to look for them. Shell and rock will hold them. Normal if tyou find a area that's holding them there will always be some in that area most of the summer and fall til they start their run for the gulf in late fall. Some of the best eating fish you'll ever lay a lip on. They are a blast on R&R and the best way to put it on how to fish them is slowwww when using live bait. They will hit plastic and spoon. the main this is keep you bait on or close to the bottom. Fin fish are just about the best bait Mullet and black saltys being the top baits but they will hit shrimp. in my book they are the best eacting saltwater fish to put on a plate.

dwaynez
01-06-2005, 02:33 PM
TWT

I have a few flounder lures I picked up when I was in Galveston a while back called flounder pounders or something like that they basically are a large tailed grub with a heavy jig head that is made of a heavy grade plastic almost like cutting board material so it is resistant the the abrassive rocks.

I use it for bass and have great success with it, There is also another one just like it but ti has a treble hook attached to the jig head, kind of a cream white white a chartreuse tint on the tail.

Thin Water Tracker
01-06-2005, 07:40 PM
They are good ones to use, They stopped making them a few years back but someone started back up production on them last year. A good Coon A$$ trick is tip all plistic with dead shrimp and they will hold on to it longer and give you time to set the hook. That were most people fail when flounder fishing they don't get a good hook set and lose the fish at the boat. When using bait I give them a little free spool and let them move off with the bait for a about45sec. to a min. then cross their eyes. They are the ture master at thorwing a hook so you never want to give them slack or you'll pull in a empty hook. And Always use a net I've had more than I can count spit to hook once in the net and the line is slack. Beside it's like trying to hold on to a greased pig. If you don't get in the gills your not going to be able to hold on.

minner skinner
01-06-2005, 09:16 PM
Ive lost more flounder at the side of my boat than all other fish combined. Then some wait till they're in the net before they fight. Crossing their eyes is definently needed to hookem good. My favorite thing about flounder is you can scale them with the waterhose. When eating just watch those fins cause they have about a million spines beneath the softer ones.

dwaynez
01-07-2005, 07:26 AM
TWT

Great Info on the hookset and the landing of the flounder, I have only fished for them one time but that was from the bank. They are one of the best eating fishes around in my opinion.

dwaynez
01-07-2005, 07:27 AM
I actually ate some flounder about 3 weeks ago, I tried a new resteraunt that had opened up and they offerred a stuffed flounder meal with a few sides as a special. It was pretty good, but the stuffing they used was not the best.

It is hard to beat a flounder that is cooked the right way.

dwaynez
01-07-2005, 10:51 AM
Has anyone tried the Frozen Flounder Fillets they sell at walmart and some of the other stores. I bought a box of them a while back and if you thaw them a day ahead of time and cook them in a skillet or grill them on the pit they have a great flavor, the box is like 3-4lbs of fillets and has about 6 fillets in the box.

Not as good as fresh fish, but not bad if you are unable to get your hands on some fresh flounder or if you don't wanna spend the money at a resteraunt.

algonzo
01-07-2005, 04:03 PM
Funny you mentioned that. I bought a box or them at Sam's about a month ago, and a box of Talapia fillets. I bought the big boxes though. like 12 to 15 fillets. I get a sheet of aluminum foil, lay down a bed of veggies, a couple of fillets, drizle some olive oil over the fillets, slice up some limes and oranges, and place the slices on top of the fillets, sprinkle some of that cajun seasoning, wrap that foil tight, and pop it in the oven for about 15 to 20 minutes...(still working on figuring out the exact time), and then take them out and leave them in the foil, still closed for about another five minutes, unwrap, and drop it next to some rice on the plate, and dinner is served.

Thin Water Tracker
01-07-2005, 08:03 PM
Foil Pack was the way we would cook most of the fish when we camped down on PINS. Take a make a big foil pack. I would take one or two onions put them on bottom. Cut up three or four potatoes put them in on top of the onions. Then put in one of those packs of those baby carrots in on top of the potatoes. Then lay six or eight fish filets on top of it all, place a stick of butter on them. Then cover it with three or four chopped Texas Green beans for those that like it hot. Add a ¼ cup of water seal it leaving a vary small hole in the top middle. Place on camp stove with both burners on medium low. When you get a good strong flow of steam out of the small hole it ready.

dwaynez
01-10-2005, 09:12 AM
TWT

Man that sounds good, I used to do something like that when camping down on the river with friends. Brings back some good memories and makes me hungry at the same time.

dwaynez
01-10-2005, 09:16 AM
Algonzo

The last few timesI hit Gibbons Creek I caught 4 or 5 Talapia each time they were all in the 1-2lb range. They hang around the dock where I catch my shad and perch and half the time you will pull a bunch of them in with the casting net or hook into a few while catching perch for bait.

I tried some Talapia at a local resteraunt a while back with a mango citrus pico sauce man it was good . The Talapia was spicy and the mango, onions, tomatos, cilantro, jalapenos, was great on top of the fish. Served on a bed of spicy rice.

algonzo
01-10-2005, 10:56 AM
Thats the why I like my Talapia, sweet, citrusy, and real spicy. Slicing up them oranges and limes and laying them over the top when baking them adds a real good citrusy flavor to it. I'm gonna have to catch me some talapia some day and see what freshly caught talapia tastes like.

dwaynez
01-10-2005, 10:57 AM
Algonzo
Next Time I am at Gibbons I will keep the ones I catch and throw them in the freezer for you.

Thin Water Tracker
01-10-2005, 04:30 PM
I don’t know if it would work with those but I have a way I like to cook speckled trout.
In small fry pan throw some onions and garlic and a little olive oil about a tsp. when they start to clear throw in about a pound of chopped shrimp when they start to turn pink throw in about ¼ cup of finely chopped Jalapenos. Once the shrimp look like they are cooked through. Throw in some cream to cover it all about a ¼ inch. Lower the heat and let it thicken once thick pour over fillet that have been cook on the pit. You can use the frozen shrimp out of the store just put you Jalapenos in with the onions and garlic and if the shrimp are pre-cook throw them in with the cream. I’m tell ya you’ll hurt your self.

dwaynez
01-10-2005, 04:52 PM
TWT

that sounds like some good stuff, i will have to try that with some white bass fillets and catfish fillets I have in the freezer. I will be glad when the weather worms up again so I can grow more jalapenos in my garden. Had so many this past season I was giving them away left and right.

Thin Water Tracker
01-10-2005, 05:27 PM
I had a plant that lasted three years living down here on the coast if we do freeze it maybe one or two time in most years. I drug this plant in and out with the wife stuff when I had to move the 300 plants she has in ever time it got below 40. it lasted till I just plant ed in the ground one year and the first cool snap got it. but the 3rd year it was put out peppers that were so dark green they looked black. And they would light you up. Each year we figured it wouldn’t make it. The thing would be down to three or four leaves when we would put it out and with in a few week it would be setting peppers. Going to have to try that again. One better is plant you one jalapeno plant then plant three or four bell pepper close as you can to it. Talk about a good salad bell pepper crisp and just the right heat.

dwaynez
01-11-2005, 08:34 AM
That is exactly what did this past year in my garden, I created a seperate planter box right next to my house and had 4 jalapeno plants, 4 bellpepper plants, and 6 tomato plants. They all grew together and produced some beautiful veggies.

I was picking peppers every couple of days as well as some large bellpeppers. I love to use bellpeppers and onions while cooking as well as jalapenos.

Thin Water Tracker
01-11-2005, 07:57 PM
Did the tomatos pick up the heat from the Jalapenos. I knew Bells would get hot growing next to the jalapenos IF tomatos do that cool I'll have to try it. All three with someother stuff would make some killer hot sauace.

minner skinner
01-11-2005, 08:43 PM
not sure but thought I read you had to clean out the guts of talapia as soon as they were caught. Not sure but worth looking into.

Thin Water Tracker
01-11-2005, 09:26 PM
That is something to look into Skinner. I sure wouldn't want to have problems with a good catch. Could it be that the State wants that done to keep them from spreading to other waters.

dpiper
01-11-2005, 09:31 PM
You are correct MS.

TPWL (page 26):
It is a violation to:
Fail to immediately remove the intestines from tilapia.

Thin Water Tracker
01-11-2005, 09:35 PM
Same as grass carp!!!

dpiper
01-11-2005, 09:37 PM
10-4

Thin Water Tracker
01-11-2005, 09:41 PM
If I wasn't going to conroe this weekend I would hit the west fork of Houston and see if I could pick up a few.

algonzo
01-11-2005, 10:25 PM
Is that the west fork of Lake Houston? I didn't know we had flounder in there....LOL

Must be half salt water and half freshwater.

dwaynez
01-12-2005, 09:10 AM
The Talapia that we catch are gutted on the spot and put in a cooler to keep them fresh and to keep within the laws of the state.

dwaynez
01-12-2005, 09:12 AM
TWT

I did not really notice a heat transfer to the tomatos, but the bell peppers did have a little more kick to them. I will do the same this next season and grow them all together again, they really produced this season so why change a good thing.

Thin Water Tracker
01-13-2005, 06:47 PM
I'm going to do the Bell and Jalapenos together. Tomatos are a pain to keep up with. The pepper you can just about plant and forget about.
It's not that I'm that lazy is just working shift work with over time. things can be forgotten about a few weeks at a time.

dwaynez
01-14-2005, 08:39 AM
The bell peppers and jalapenos are grow very easily and they keep on producing, I will check them every few days when they are really growing and they just keep producing.

I was having to give them away at one point because there were so many, I hope my green thumb will be as good this next go around.

dwaynez
01-14-2005, 08:41 AM
TWT

I was out in my back yard the other day and I checked the spark plugs and filters on my tiller and cranked it up or a test run, running like charm and it will need to once I start setting my rows for my garden.

Whenever I get it all going I will post some pics of my garden setup and my plants once they start producing.

Thin Water Tracker
01-14-2005, 08:54 AM
We'll Start caliing you mr. GreenJeans. That my have been a little before your time.

dwaynez
01-14-2005, 09:19 AM
LOL

One of the funnest things for me is getting out there and putting in a hard days work to get my garden ready. My wife and I were able to buy our first place this past April so it is nice to be able to do what I want to do. My parents live on the next road over and we always grew somthing while growing up if it was not a my house it was my Grandma and Grandpa growing fruits and veggies in the garden. Some of my best memories were going into the garden for my Grandpa and picking squash, corn, tomatos, greens, okra and all the other fresh veggies as well as picking up tomato worms to be used as bait.

I love having fresh vegetables at my house and being able to grow what I want, nothing better than enjoying a fine cooked meal with your own supply of vegetables.

Thin Water Tracker
01-14-2005, 02:39 PM
I hear that. Having Veggies that have had all the **** spryed all over them is nice to have they just taste better.

dwaynez
01-14-2005, 02:47 PM
Sure do, I that is why you see so many organically grown veggies in the store. They are a lot more expensive, but they are grown differently and are said to be healthier. I just prefer to grow them myself so I know exactly what I put on them.

psalty
04-07-2005, 09:27 PM
I am a little late in the post but you might try Rollover Pass with the water reaching the majic 70 degrees. Try using finger mullet for live bait and DOA shrimp for the artificials.
Cooking: Using foil- place the fillets w/ onion, bells and a couple of bannana or jalapeno peppers for a little notch. Oil lightly and bake.
Some kinda good w/ slaw and beans. pitcher of cold tea.
At least it works for me.

Thin Water Tracker
04-08-2005, 07:43 AM
psalty, If it has flounders and Jalapenos in it has to be good. Make mine with double Jalapeno and two pitchers of cold iec tea!

dwaynez
04-13-2005, 02:03 PM
TWT

Sounds like a meal fit for a king.