PDA

View Full Version : Chandeleur Islands

baitfish
07-27-2009, 04:13 PM
Well folks, just got back from Biloxi, Mississippi. Went to the Chandeleur Islands for specs and reds. Had a blast. Fish weren't biting just exceptionaly but we landed several, biggest was about 20". Did do some Shark fishing and hung 3, one about 3-4 feet, 2 about 6-7 feet. didn't get them very close, they kept breaking the steel leaders. Using a little too light of tackel I guess. By buddy finaly hung one and we chased it in the boat for 20-30 minutes and got it to the boat. It was about a 6 ft. Think it was a nurse shark but I don't know. Medium brown with smooth round head. The boat and crew were awsome. Friday night we had the best prime rib I ever tasted. saturday was catch of the day. In all we caught 25-30 specs and 3 flounder. and some throw back reds. Others caught specs, 1 flounder, 2 big bull reds and a couple sharks. Hated to head out of state but couldn't pass up the Chandeleur Islands. Supposedly the "Spec capitol of the gulf". If you want a good trip I reccomend the crew we used. They have a 60 ft boat you ride to the islands on. From there you take a two man skiff to fish in. the crew reccomends where to go and tatics. If you aren't haveing much luck they will gladly hop in and go show you where and how. And don't be surprised to see the captain throwing a pole out and bringing in more fish than anyone else. But this was the best 2 days of costal fishing I have ever had. May never make it back, but I'll always try to.

baitfish
07-27-2009, 04:15 PM
Ohh yeah, forgot to mention. I have pics on my camera. If anyone ever goes and catches my camera I would like to have it back. But i figure a shark ate it.

BassingtxLady
07-27-2009, 04:15 PM
Sounds like you had a fantastic trip.

Did you have a chance to take any pictures?

GILBERT G
07-27-2009, 04:19 PM
glad you had a great time and your home save

Scotta
07-27-2009, 04:24 PM
That is my dream vacation. I heard about thpose trips you go out and then do the center console thing. Glad you had a good time

baitfish
07-27-2009, 04:28 PM
Didn't get any pics. Had my buddies sharks to the boat and took a pic, set down my camera, and the comotion of the shark breaking the line I knocked it off into the water. So I didn't get a single trip home. I'll see if Ican get a few from some of the other guys on the trip.

Metalcutterr
07-27-2009, 04:46 PM
I always wanted to fish there. glad you had a good time.

Malibu78
07-27-2009, 04:54 PM
Sounds like you all had a good trip. I have fished the souther tip of the islands out of venice several times. We have always caught lots of trout and reds out there. I gets a little scary out there wade fishing with sharks swiming around you.

vett0111
07-27-2009, 11:56 PM
Great report. Sounds like you will remember this trip for a long time.

Superdave
07-28-2009, 10:18 AM
Saltwater fishing envy here. I did that once back in the mid-1960's when I was a teenager. Went with a buddy, his dad, and a few other men. We primitive camped and fished several days on a deserted barrier island off Louisiana, living off our catch. [Sigh]... good childhood memories. You're a lucky, lucky man!