PDA

View Full Version : Marsh Lands by Tiki Island

hcontreras68
08-12-2009, 06:30 PM
Has anyone tried fishing in the marsh lands on both sides of the road (I-45) just before you get to Tiki Island next to that railroad system? The area I'm talking about is off I-45, the area just past the Texas City exit (146) and before Tiki Island (on both sides) coming from Houston. I have a canoe I would like to take into those back areas of the marsh. It looks really interesting to me. Has anyone fished there? If so, has anyone done well there? Any tips to offer???? Thanks guys!

Scotta
08-12-2009, 06:32 PM
A lot of crabs. You should try the flat at the northwest corner at the causway. Full of redfish and specks and the occasional flounder

hcontreras68
08-12-2009, 06:37 PM
Are you talking about by where the railroad runs? South of Fat boys bait camp?

GILBERT G
08-12-2009, 06:38 PM
IS THAT THE AREA WHERE YOU SEE PEOPLE CASTING NET`S FOR BAIT AND SOMETIMES THEY CRAB RIGHT ALONG THE FRWY

Scotta
08-12-2009, 06:40 PM
Gilbert, I think thats waht he is talking about

hcontreras68
08-12-2009, 06:41 PM
Yep, but around the back of that area, you see open water that looks very interesting because it's too deep to wade, but no boats can go there, so you have to access it by kayak or canoe.

hcontreras68
08-12-2009, 06:43 PM
There's canals that stretch all the way to the back of those marsh areas

harv418
08-13-2009, 08:13 AM
Put in at the HWY 6 bridge, paddle south. Just after the railroad, take a left, and follow that canal down to the second tressell... there's always some good fishing in there.

Reds will be alond any drop offs, Floudner in the marsh drains, and Sheepsheads will be scattered around.

My CONCERN: Canoe are not noted for being good in the wind. Be mindful of the Wind, and don't get caught out. Powerboats love to run the bayou, so be prepared for wakes..

I've had my best luck at that 2nd tressell, and in teh main bayou. Watch the shoreline for wakes and humps, and use your jigheads to find the oyster reefs... And just go fishing.

FlippinCrazy
08-13-2009, 08:13 AM
You are on track, its a perfect place to put in a kayak or canoe. I throw for bait in that area every flounder season but I know folks that launch out of that area. You can get into some reds when the tide is in the reds will get into the canals and chase bait. I have never heard of any trout being caught but I would think that they would be in there too. Try catching it on a good out going tide and I bet u could do some good The fish would be right outside the marsh grass waiting for all the bait to get sucked out because of the tide going out just my 2cents so hope you do good and let us know how you do . And if you get tired you can always go across the freeway to the nudy bar hahahahaahahh

harv418
08-13-2009, 08:19 AM
Another option is to Go at NIGHT... All along the upper bayou, folks have lights. Trout will stack up in there. I know of one trout over 26 inches in the last two years came from the lights, and we saw bigger trout as well.

Bass Fishin Tejanos
08-13-2009, 09:55 AM
Great info Harv, I tried fishing with lights this past weekend out in MudCut and had a blast.

FlippinCrazy
08-13-2009, 10:44 AM
If you go into the canals at night @ Tiki Island look for some lights that are way different than whats around them there are 3 lights that were a prototype and they will hold fish when no other light will I assume they are still there I dont know for sure since the storm. They will be located on NW side of the island enter the canals from that direction and start loking they will stand out like a turd in a punch bowl

Gentleben
08-13-2009, 03:20 PM
Wowo greta thread I did ino tknow such existed

hcontreras68
08-13-2009, 04:20 PM
harv418 and FlippinCrazy: thanks for the great info! This really helps a lot. Me and my son will be out there next week, we will fish those areas and see how we do. I will definitely post info on our outings. Hope they will be so good that we will post pictures along with it, if we catch anything worth photographing.

One last question: Do you think it's best to use dead shrimp, shad, mullet, crab, or plastics during the incoming and outgoing tides? I know all of the above baits work, but what have you guys used with good success? Thanks guys!

harv418
08-13-2009, 08:56 PM
I prefer plastics, but you can get shrimp at louis bait camp right at Highway 6 and Highland Bayou. With your son going, I'd do that.

l Like to fish the outgoing for flounder. The rising for Redfish, as they will get shallow.. and just moving water for specs..

If you press on towards jones you'll see some boats anchored up.. come back on an outgoing and fish that spot, its a flounder hole.

Not that I have seen any in there, be aware, we do have gators in the galveston bay complex, so it is not out of the realm of possiblities they are in there..

vett0111
08-13-2009, 11:40 PM
Great info guys thanks

hcontreras68
08-14-2009, 01:29 AM
Awesome harv418! I really appreciate the great info. My son is pretty darn excited to go there now! I think we are going to have a great time. I look forward to posting on this board after we get back. I'm off at work all next week, so we that is no doubt our destination. I've got my tide table ready! Thanks!

harv418
08-14-2009, 09:50 AM
Take some Gulp Jerk Shads, and rig them straight on a 1/16th ounce or 1/8th ounce jig head. Fish the drains.

The key is to WATCH the shorelines.. if you see bait activity/bird activity, get on it..

davejla
08-14-2009, 10:31 AM
What size boats can run through the bayou? Also, the water looks like it might be pretty shallow in the marshy area, can any boats other than canoes or kayaks access that and if so how much of that area, tide out?

harv418
08-18-2009, 04:25 PM
The bayou has all sorts of boats, but they can't be too big or they will not get under the railroad bridge.

Teh water on the marsh can get REALLY shallow, but if you find and stay in the guts, in a kayak/Canoe you'll be fine. Airboats can get back there too.

minner skinner
12-11-2009, 10:20 PM
the marsh just off the 45 has a main drain into Jones. there is a gut that runs outta there. ive fished there on a dropping tide with success.

vett0111
12-11-2009, 10:51 PM
How do you fish there? In a boat, wading or kayak?

minner skinner
12-12-2009, 10:05 PM
marsh areas are generally too muddy to wade and very shallow. a kayak or jonboat w a pole is ideal.

vett0111
12-12-2009, 11:56 PM
Good to know thanks