PDA

View Full Version : flesh eating disease

gator
08-25-2009, 01:16 PM
okay i had to take my daughter to doc yesterday to get a shoot for school anyway long story short........
i trust this guy a lot hes not afraid to say he don't know. i use to fish salt a lot but got scared a few years back by the news hype on this disease. well i asked him. i learn something that i didn't know so here goes. he said if your liver is in good working order and no kind of hepatitis nothing really to worry about. use common care and watch for any kind of flu type signs. but if you have any kind of liver problems he said he would stay out of the water cause this can be deadly very quickly.

harv418
08-25-2009, 02:10 PM
Most of the folks I associate with have taken to using a blean solution in a spray bottle to take care of any nicks or scrapes they get out there...

BUT it is out there, and it can be deadly... It is the reason I am not fishing Saltwater these days. Once the water cools back down, I'll get back after it, but while it is warm, no way, Bring on the Swamp Trout.

TallTexan
08-25-2009, 03:07 PM
This disease will attack you skin even if you are healthy. . There is acase of a runner in great shape getting it, He did not die, but the scar that it left along with the pain is nothing to play with.

When it first was known to be in the TX bays many thought that if you washed you skin with a 25/75 of bleach and water you would kill it. this was so if you did not have any cuts on you legs or feet....How many of you wade fish and never scratched yourself doing so

I wear waders now days and do not fish when the water turn warmer then 85 degrees ...just to hot in waders

Scotta
08-25-2009, 04:51 PM
I am a walking cut so I will stick to freshwater

clu35
08-25-2009, 04:55 PM
never hurt me worked in it for years heck i even would bath in it at the end of the day still here. If you think about how many people are in the water and how few get infected you really dont have anything to worry about, yes i know it can kill you but hey what won't kill you these days.

Scotta
08-25-2009, 05:50 PM
I dont go through life worrying about what could happen. I no youn shouldnt take unnecessary chances but I watched people walking around with masks at work when this flu thing started this spring. I was like the day i cant go outside my house without the fear of wearing a mask, I just wont leave my house. There are so many things to worry that COULD happen. I would go insane. Heck, how many people went wading fishing, swimming, etc since spring? How many people got this flesh eating bacteria. Seriously, thats about, not quite, but similiar to being afraid of getting hit by lightning. I use to have a saying, "just because I am paranoid, doesnt mean they are not out to get me." lol. just my two cents and I appreciate the heads up Gator it is something to be aware of for sure but I also keep warnings like this into perspective.

GILBERT G
08-25-2009, 06:38 PM
I agree with GATOR your liver is what controls your immune
system

vett0111
08-25-2009, 10:25 PM
good info Gator. Thanks for sharing

BassingtxLady
08-26-2009, 09:07 AM
The Organs of the Immune System

Bone Marrow -- All the cells of the immune system are initially derived from the bone marrow. They form through a process called hematopoiesis. During hematopoiesis, bone marrow-derived stem cells differentiate into either mature cells of the immune system or into precursors of cells that migrate out of the bone marrow to continue their maturation elsewhere. The bone marrow produces B cells, natural killer cells, granulocytes and immature thymocytes, in addition to red blood cells and platelets.

Thymus -- The function of the thymus is to produce mature T cells. Immature thymocytes, also known as prothymocytes, leave the bone marrow and migrate into the thymus. Through a remarkable maturation process sometimes referred to as thymic education, T cells that are beneficial to the immune system are spared, while those T cells that might evoke a detrimental autoimmune response are eliminated. The mature T cells are then released into the bloodstream.

Spleen -- The spleen is an immunologic filter of the blood. It is made up of B cells, T cells, macrophages, dendritic cells, natural killer cells and red blood cells. In addition to capturing foreign materials (antigens) from the blood that passes through the spleen, migratory macrophages and dendritic cells bring antigens to the spleen via the bloodstream. An immune response is initiated when the macrophage or dendritic cells present the antigen to the appropriate B or T cells. This organ can be thought of as an immunological conference center. In the spleen, B cells become activated and produce large amounts of antibody. Also, old red blood cells are destroyed in the spleen.

Lymph Nodes -- The lymph nodes function as an immunologic filter for the bodily fluid known as lymph. Lymph nodes are found throughout the body. Composed mostly of T cells, B cells, dendritic cells and macrophages, the nodes drain fluid from most of our tissues. Antigens are filtered out of the lymph in the lymph node before returning the lymph to the circulation. In a similar fashion as the spleen, the macrophages and dendritic cells that capture antigens present these foreign materials to T and B cells, consequently initiating an immune response.

Last week a gentleman died of the flesh eating bacteria in Galveston after sustaining a scratch while fishing off the jetties. he lived for 4 days after the event happened. Now mind you i do not know the particulars of his pre-existing conditions that allowed this to move so quickly into total body sepsis. but all i can tell ya, is be careful and carry antiseptic ointment, spray, on your trips to the salt water to fish....

my philosophy is though when you reach the tenured age of 40 then you should take
vitamin C 1000 mg daily along with
Vitamin E 800 units

this is a great cocktail to strengthen your immune system.......

okay i'll stop being a medical person ........and go back to fish talking.....

dbldaddy
08-26-2009, 10:02 AM
What did she said?

dbldaddy
08-26-2009, 10:08 AM
Hey gator, imageine wat ur lil scratch u got on ur leg woulda looked like with this stuff in there. U must have a good immune system

gator
08-26-2009, 01:08 PM
Hey gator, imageine wat ur lil scratch u got on ur leg woulda looked like with this stuff in there. U must have a good immune system

well now you know why i ask my doctor cause im always cutting poking or falling on something

GILBERT G
08-26-2009, 03:33 PM
BASSLADY don`t hesitate in letting us know of your medical knowledge we could use all the advise you have for us
THANKS A MILLION

gator
08-26-2009, 03:51 PM
yeah how you go fishing without going to hospital?

GILBERT G
08-26-2009, 03:54 PM
yeah how you go fishing without going to hospital?

FIESTA FOOD MART LOL

Bass Fishin Tejanos
08-26-2009, 04:32 PM
Don't forget about the 7 up, it never fails

FIESTA FOOD MART LOL

Scotta
08-26-2009, 04:36 PM
Terrific information, thanks a lot.

The Organs of the Immune System

Bone Marrow -- All the cells of the immune system are initially derived from the bone marrow. They form through a process called hematopoiesis. During hematopoiesis, bone marrow-derived stem cells differentiate into either mature cells of the immune system or into precursors of cells that migrate out of the bone marrow to continue their maturation elsewhere. The bone marrow produces B cells, natural killer cells, granulocytes and immature thymocytes, in addition to red blood cells and platelets.

Thymus -- The function of the thymus is to produce mature T cells. Immature thymocytes, also known as prothymocytes, leave the bone marrow and migrate into the thymus. Through a remarkable maturation process sometimes referred to as thymic education, T cells that are beneficial to the immune system are spared, while those T cells that might evoke a detrimental autoimmune response are eliminated. The mature T cells are then released into the bloodstream.

Spleen -- The spleen is an immunologic filter of the blood. It is made up of B cells, T cells, macrophages, dendritic cells, natural killer cells and red blood cells. In addition to capturing foreign materials (antigens) from the blood that passes through the spleen, migratory macrophages and dendritic cells bring antigens to the spleen via the bloodstream. An immune response is initiated when the macrophage or dendritic cells present the antigen to the appropriate B or T cells. This organ can be thought of as an immunological conference center. In the spleen, B cells become activated and produce large amounts of antibody. Also, old red blood cells are destroyed in the spleen.

Lymph Nodes -- The lymph nodes function as an immunologic filter for the bodily fluid known as lymph. Lymph nodes are found throughout the body. Composed mostly of T cells, B cells, dendritic cells and macrophages, the nodes drain fluid from most of our tissues. Antigens are filtered out of the lymph in the lymph node before returning the lymph to the circulation. In a similar fashion as the spleen, the macrophages and dendritic cells that capture antigens present these foreign materials to T and B cells, consequently initiating an immune response.

Last week a gentleman died of the flesh eating bacteria in Galveston after sustaining a scratch while fishing off the jetties. he lived for 4 days after the event happened. Now mind you i do not know the particulars of his pre-existing conditions that allowed this to move so quickly into total body sepsis. but all i can tell ya, is be careful and carry antiseptic ointment, spray, on your trips to the salt water to fish....

my philosophy is though when you reach the tenured age of 40 then you should take
vitamin C 1000 mg daily along with
Vitamin E 800 units

this is a great cocktail to strengthen your immune system.......

okay i'll stop being a medical person ........and go back to fish talking.....

BassingtxLady
08-26-2009, 06:09 PM
:scratchhead:......and i thought i was rambling there...and would be invited to shut the heck up.......:surrender:

hey i payed alot for the knowledge with not only money but blood sweat and tears....so i'm happy to share the knowledge .......

i have a very extensive first aid kit on my boat.....i can glue a slice together and still continue fishing.....hehehehehe.....

GILBERT G
08-26-2009, 08:09 PM
BTL I RATHER CALL YOU THAN 911
you need to be at all our fishing gatherings

dbldaddy
08-26-2009, 09:03 PM
Especially with ben and jeffro around

vett0111
08-26-2009, 10:35 PM
Great info Bassintxlady

BassingtxLady
08-27-2009, 04:50 AM
well, give me the 911 and i'm there ......i have a ranger bass boat and can hit the water runnin........:)

Ole Bill
08-27-2009, 02:26 PM
that dr speaks my sentiments exactly this flesh eatin disease is caused by a bacteria that is found on everyone. if you do a culture from some part of your skin you will find this bacteria present in small quantities the bodies immune system keeps them in check with anti bodies and immune cells which i dont have all the names for but to us the common people they are anti bodies...far as im concerned the salt water doesn't have anything to do with the bacteria other than keep a wound open long enough and introduce pollutants for them to feed on which your body might have problems of fighting off or even developing a good case of blood poisoning.... if your body immune system is strong enough and the liver which filters your blood is working properly then you are a lot safer from these things but not always can be the case too .... there are several things that effect and build the immune system but they all count on the liver to filter the blood the main route bacteria takes through the body....these bacterias are from the staph family and can be very deadly the one to fear most is staphylococcus aureas that is methacillin resistant better know as MRSA all of these bacteria cause what is known as necrotizing fasciitis or flesh eating disease.....this is found in all bodies of water including fresh water along with some other tiny critters that can do just as much damage by killing you.... the best way to prevent it is don't go into the water fresh or salt if you have open wounds.... this is the main entry way for everything that can cause problems in you.... if you are wading and receive a wound of some kind get out immediately and wash the area with strong anti bacterial soap and cleanse the wound with a lot of flushing of hydrogen peroxide apply an anti bacterial creme and dress it watch the wound closely for a few days if redness persists for more than 24 hours see a dr.... your chances of getting this disease is rare unless your immune system is compromised by illness HIV cancer or other related illnesses.....like some of you here i have waded swam and dove in salt water while in the service and as a fisherman i have swam with open sores before this stuff was even heard of but be assured that this is not a new disease it has been around for a long long time but with the media and todays info system there seems like there is case after case of this malady when actually the truth has not been told if you dont believe what i have said here go to your dr and have a skin culture done it will scare you to death if your afraid of nasty little bacterium......but the fact remains that this has been in the water since before records have been kept.

Scotta
08-27-2009, 05:25 PM
Lostyou after "doc speaks"

that dr speaks my sentiments exactly this flesh eatin disease is caused by a bacteria that is found on everyone. if you do a culture from some part of your skin you will find this bacteria present in small quantities the bodies immune system keeps them in check with anti bodies and immune cells which i dont have all the names for but to us the common people they are anti bodies...far as im concerned the salt water doesn't have anything to do with the bacteria other than keep a wound open long enough and introduce pollutants for them to feed on which your body might have problems of fighting off or even developing a good case of blood poisoning.... if your body immune system is strong enough and the liver which filters your blood is working properly then you are a lot safer from these things but not always can be the case too .... there are several things that effect and build the immune system but they all count on the liver to filter the blood the main route bacteria takes through the body....these bacterias are from the staph family and can be very deadly the one to fear most is staphylococcus aureas that is methacillin resistant better know as MRSA all of these bacteria cause what is known as necrotizing fasciitis or flesh eating disease.....this is found in all bodies of water including fresh water along with some other tiny critters that can do just as much damage by killing you.... the best way to prevent it is don't go into the water fresh or salt if you have open wounds.... this is the main entry way for everything that can cause problems in you.... if you are wading and receive a wound of some kind get out immediately and wash the area with strong anti bacterial soap and cleanse the wound with a lot of flushing of hydrogen peroxide apply an anti bacterial creme and dress it watch the wound closely for a few days if redness persists for more than 24 hours see a dr.... your chances of getting this disease is rare unless your immune system is compromised by illness HIV cancer or other related illnesses.....like some of you here i have waded swam and dove in salt water while in the service and as a fisherman i have swam with open sores before this stuff was even heard of but be assured that this is not a new disease it has been around for a long long time but with the media and todays info system there seems like there is case after case of this malady when actually the truth has not been told if you dont believe what i have said here go to your dr and have a skin culture done it will scare you to death if your afraid of nasty little bacterium......but the fact remains that this has been in the water since before records have been kept.

gator
08-27-2009, 06:31 PM
bill did you drink a whole pot of coffee today

Ole Bill
08-27-2009, 09:09 PM
bill did you drink a whole pot of coffee todaynope did ya fergit how ta read need me ta put it in lil paragraphs so both of ya can keep up bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahah

vett0111
08-27-2009, 10:37 PM
Wow. Alot of info there Ole Bill. Thanks

BassingtxLady
08-28-2009, 10:00 AM
i decided not to post pics of the nasty MRSA....but i will give you a link if you are not faint at heart to see what the many faces of this stuff can look like....

please only look if you have a strong stomach.......

http://www.staph-infection-resources.com/mrsa-pictures.html

Ole Bill
08-28-2009, 02:08 PM
i decided not to post pics of the nasty MRSA....but i will give you a link if you are not faint at heart to see what the many faces of this stuff can look like....

please only look if you have a strong stomach.......

http://www.staph-infection-resources.com/mrsa-pictures.htmlbeen looking at that stuff fer a long time and i agree it is not for a weak stomach or timid mind...its some bad stuff....still gits me queasy ta look at it but ta see it and smell it up close is indescribable .... i have seen some nasty things when i was overseas but that had ta be one of the worst things to look at