PDA

View Full Version : Kayak Fishing ANWR Wednesday

chicken...
01-11-2010, 09:16 PM
Looks like Wednesday may be a pretty good day for fishing. With the ICW and Rollover in close proximity to Frozen Point and the flats east of the point I figure the fish may venture into the area after our cold spell. I plan on being there around 9 to 9:30am, but I'm undecided on where to launch. Is there a spot to launch between Frozen Point and Oyster Bayou?

Feel free to pm me if you would like to join me.....

dbldaddy
01-11-2010, 09:29 PM
I see pics of ppl catchin monster fish in a kayak. I wanna try it. Although I would probly b kinda uncomfortable bein that close to a big fish

kayak_fishing92
01-11-2010, 09:31 PM
You don't appreciate the size of a fish until 2 things happen
1. It drags you around
2. It nearly make you capsize when you try to lift it

:D Why I love to fish out of my yak

Good luck chicken! Be safe and have fun.

Bass Fishin Tejanos
01-11-2010, 09:49 PM
You got me on this one chicken. :scratchhead::scratchhead:

But I'm sure someone here should have an anwser for you. Let us know how you do out there. Good luck to you.

chicken...
01-12-2010, 07:15 PM
You don't appreciate the size of a fish until 2 things happen
1. It drags you around
2. It nearly make you capsize when you try to lift it

:D Why I love to fish out of my yak

Good luck chicken! Be safe and have fun.

x2, wouldn't trade it for anything :D

vett0111
01-12-2010, 11:24 PM
Good luck Chicken

willie
01-13-2010, 06:13 AM
good luck. there are fish there i hear. fish slow and corky's if you have them.

doublek
01-13-2010, 07:08 AM
Have fun while the po' folks work. Good luck.

yak07
01-13-2010, 04:22 PM
Wish I could make it. Hadn't had a chance to get down there yet in my kayak. For those who have not fished the surf in a kayak, you have to give it a try.

chicken...
01-14-2010, 04:00 PM
Made it to the boat ramp around 9:00am and knew I would be in the middle of the tide rolling out, but man that water in the canal was skinny. Winds were out of the ESE at around 10 mph which made for a little chop, but oh well at least it wasn't freezing cold. I decided to set up a drift (with a drift sock) and paddled out toward Frozen Point and the whole paddle was in gin clear water no deeper than 2 feet. Man that tide was really rolling out and I threw the sock out for my drift. I made a good drift all the way back to the ramp and NOTHING! I mean I had no pecks, bumps, snags, nothing. Saw some birds working an area about 60 yards from the mouth of the boat ramp canal (where I started :mad:) and shifted my drift to pass through the birds. As I got closer, the water was getting more and more shallow, heck it wasn't even as deep as my paddle blade. Any way, I picked up 5 dink trout, one 16" trout and a 21" red in that one pass and then it turned off (released all). Paddled down to Robinson Bayou and nothing there, so I decided to head back home and had to drag the yak through the boat ramp canal as it got real skinny in there as the tide had pretty much rolled out by then. Sorry, no pics today as I left the camera at home and my iPhone in the car, but at least I got slime on my waders :D and had a great time on the water.

minner skinner
01-14-2010, 06:07 PM
thanks for the detailed report. maybe we can kayak the bay sometime. i have a few spots that r great 4 kayaks.

vett0111
01-15-2010, 12:12 AM
Awesome report Chicken. WTG. Thanks for sharing

Lou The Fisherman
01-15-2010, 10:53 AM
Good stuff Chicken -

that 21 RED made the trip worth it. I love every fish that swims but there is NOTHING that compares to catching and fighting a RED fish.

I think BFT and Vett0 would agree with that!!

Glad you got your line stretched a bit. . . .

vett0111
01-15-2010, 11:50 PM
Yes Lou I love the fight of a big red.