PDA

View Full Version : inflatable pontoon for saltwater

mchadpayne
03-20-2010, 04:11 PM
I have recently became the owner of a new 9' inflatable pontoon, and was wondering if anyone has tried them for fishing in the galveston area? I have been fishing many miles off the coast but never around the shore or in the bay. What kind of fish do you target in this area? are there any kings or snapper?

thanks

fish1
03-20-2010, 06:57 PM
never seen an inflatable on the bay , ought to be allight . i target whatever will cooperate , mostly trout , reds , flounder , and such . never heard of kings or snapper in the bay .

Lou The Fisherman
03-20-2010, 09:02 PM
Like fish1 said, the bay produces spec's, reds, flounder.

chicken...
03-21-2010, 10:48 AM
If you hook up on a king or a snapper you're not quite in the bay. To add to fish1's comments, in the bay most people will target the "Big 3", trout, redfish and flounder. There are also croaker, sand trout, whiting, black drum to mention a few and those dreaded hardheads (no good bait stealers). The fisherman who target the Big 3 will typically use artificals as that will narrow your bite down to those 3. The inflatable should work, heck I fish out of a kayak and do just fine. Just watch the weather and know your limits, you'll be fine and good luck on your fishing.

vett0111
03-21-2010, 02:22 PM
If you hook up on a king or a snapper you're not quite in the bay. To add to fish1's comments, in the bay most people will target the "Big 3", trout, redfish and flounder. There are also croaker, sand trout, whiting, black drum to mention a few and those dreaded hardheads (no good bait stealers). The fisherman who target the Big 3 will typically use artificals as that will narrow your bite down to those 3. The inflatable should work, heck I fish out of a kayak and do just fine. Just watch the weather and know your limits, you'll be fine and good luck on your fishing.

Chicken no need to talk about Lou like that. Yes he is a hardhead but he is a good guy. Lol.

You should be able to get into some of the Big 3 action. Like others have said keep an eye out on the weather.

Scotta
03-21-2010, 03:42 PM
You have to go a little past the breakwater to target kings and snapper. You will be fine in an inflatable. The coast guard has a really cool inflable that I had the privelage of riding in a few years back. Should be a fun wet ride

Scotta
03-21-2010, 03:43 PM
You have any pics? I would love to see it.

chicken...
03-28-2010, 08:29 PM
Chicken no need to talk about Lou like that. Yes he is a hardhead but he is a good guy. Lol.

You should be able to get into some of the Big 3 action. Like others have said keep an eye out on the weather.

I just call'em like I see'em :114:

vett0111
03-29-2010, 12:25 AM
LMBO.:applause::stooges::cheers::hammer:

BigMike005
03-30-2010, 06:36 PM
Dont discount the rock fish along the north jetty. This time of year you can cherry pick a few sheeps head and small drum and have a ball!

KayakingJ1
03-30-2010, 08:33 PM
You should do fine on a nice day out. I wouldn't go out on a day that has too much wind. I am looking forward to kayaking the bay and off surfside this summer. For the bay or surfside I wouldn't go out when the wind is 15+. Thoughs speeds it gets alittle dicy. Thats when I head for mosses lake.. lol.