PDA

View Full Version : their baaaack

minner skinner
03-15-2005, 08:48 PM
Ugh i caught my first hardhead of this year. Actually the first two. Does anyone here know where these slimy bait stealing fish head for the winter? Does anybody have any tips for avoiding these salty creatures of the deep(shallow) blue(brown) sea(bay)?

dpiper
03-15-2005, 09:23 PM
Yea, I do. FISH for THEM.

medulla762
03-16-2005, 08:34 AM
Hahaha...yep, that's about as sure fire a way to run 'em off as any!...hahaha...

dwaynez
03-16-2005, 09:06 AM
LOL

flatcats
03-16-2005, 11:59 PM
What are these "hard head" fish?

michael dill
03-17-2005, 08:06 AM
Avoid using dead and even live bait, use arties to avoid the hard heads. Larger live baits like mullet and croaker are usually uneffected by them but only if they are lively. Now Gaftop are a whole other story, I had a gaftop hit my topwater last summer!

Flatscats Heard heads are a type of saltwater catfish constisting of mainly one bone from the mouth to there doral fin with very little meat beyond that. They are an indiscriminate bottom feeder with basicly zero table fair appeal. Known for there large schools and bait stealing tatics. Aside from the enviromental uses they are worthless unless of course you on a deserted island and starving to death.

Gaftop sailfins are another type of salt cat that yeild a much larger amount of meat have less bones and grow to much greater sizes. Gaftops can be a bit more agressive and have some table fair apeal to some.

dwaynez
03-17-2005, 08:12 AM
Mike

good description, I have caught a few hard heads in my limited salt water fishing experience. We did have a lot of bait stolen though while fishing, I adjusted though and wound up catching quite a few trout to take home for my efforts.

flatcats
03-17-2005, 08:15 AM
Thanks Michael, When anyone here talks about salt water fish I'm lost as a goose. :lol:

michael dill
03-17-2005, 08:53 AM
Hey no problem, Salt is in my blood. One other thing I thought of to help avoid the HH'S is to not fish during a slack tide, they have a tendency to feed more when the tidal movement is minimal

dwaynez
03-17-2005, 09:10 AM
Michael

Good info, it helps to have members on here who fish salt water often and are able to give some advise to those of use that don't fish it as much.