PDA

View Full Version : Using saltwater rod/reel in fresh water?

lake_buddy
07-02-2010, 10:00 AM
I'm planning to get a new saltwater rod/reel but first want to do some research. First question that comes to mind is can I use it in freshwater as well? I'm guessing yes but thought I'd ask since we have a wealth of information with this wonderful website and its members. I have been using my freshwater gear (rod/spinning reel combo sets from walmart-$30 each) in saltwater and was it off thoroughly after fishing. I know that's not ideal but I'm working with what I have. Nothing wrong with that, but I'm sure it's not what I should be using for saltwater.

Rod and reel I have in mind is what my wife's grandfather uses (and has for a few years). I've used it and it felt great.....

Rod - St.. Croix, Avid Series, 7 foot, 1 piece, medium light action, fast tip (Retail: $160)
Reel - Shimano Stradic 2500 FI (retail: $170)

Any input would be greatly appreciated. I guess using the more expensive gear lasts longer, works better and gives you a better feel for the fish.....right?

BassingtxLady
07-02-2010, 10:10 AM
Sounds like a good setup. Fresh water will not hurt it with normal use.

vett0111
07-02-2010, 11:24 AM
WOW that is a high dollar combo. LOL Do you like using Spin cast? If you were going to drop some bucks like that a nice baitcaster to me is a better way to go. Very nice reel your wife's grandfather uses though. I saw some Penn 550ssg R/R comdo's at Bass Pro Shop for $100. I only broght that one up cause BFT caught one when we were fishing one day. Not ure how long it was on the bottom of bay but it cleaned up good and still working Great.

Here is the thread on that reel
http://www.fishingtx.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19404&highlight=Penn+550ssg

Lou The Fisherman
07-02-2010, 09:06 PM
Lake Buddy - y0u got a good R & R so just use it.

Would work perfectly in both Salt and Fresh water.

Matt in Houston
07-02-2010, 10:33 PM
I have a St. Croix Avid and for the money its probably the best rod you can buy hands down. A google search will show the Avid series has quite a loyal following...theyre VERY good rods with excellent sensitivity.

Good luck and have fun!

Bass Fishin Tejanos
07-02-2010, 10:37 PM
That's a really nice setup but a bit pricey. I'd say if you got the money go for it, but you couldn't go wrong with a Curado (greenie) which you could find on ebay for around 80 bucks and a smilar style rod like the St. Croix afrom Academy. Some Academy's have some rods on sale like $59 droped from $90 but you have to check maybe two to three stores.

Or you could try your luck a hook a rod and reel of the bottom of the bay like the Penn that Vett0s talking about. LOL

Gentleben
07-03-2010, 06:59 AM
My riggings are all A/C D/C

jackiekennedyfishingguide.com
07-03-2010, 09:30 AM
clean them reels up good after being in saltwater, that stuff is hard on everything, boats, motors, trailers, and gear.

mikechell
07-04-2010, 10:33 PM
Be careful using saltwater equipment in fresh water.
Saltwater equipment is designed to resist salt by counteracting the effects. If you use this equipment in fresh water, it does not havge the "effects" to counteract, and will "reverse corrode".
This means your equipment will develop "growths" of extra material, almost like a cancer.

lake_buddy
07-06-2010, 11:33 AM
Thanks for the responses guys. I'm a few weeks away from getting my saltwater setup but now I know more than I did. :)

mikechell
07-07-2010, 03:47 AM
Um ... I was joking. I tend to do that a lot, sorry.

vett0111
07-07-2010, 06:45 PM
Um ... I was joking. I tend to do that a lot, sorry.

LOL I thought that clean Alaska air had you in another world. :cheers: