PDA

View Full Version : Need recommendations for Salt Water Tip

dwaynez
03-18-2005, 09:52 AM
My cousin wants to go deep sea fishing in June either out of Galveston or Corpus. I have gone out of Galveston before and had a good time, but I would like some recommendations on who to use in the Galveston Area or the Corpus Area. They want to go on a Party Boat for either a 4 hour or an 12 hour trip.

Right now I have 2 good referrals for Galveston

Williams Charter Service and Galveston Party Boats

Anyone have any recommendations for these locations or any locaitons in texas such as port aransas or any other place?

michael dill
03-18-2005, 10:02 AM
Capt. Elliots out of Freeport.

dwaynez
03-18-2005, 11:36 AM
Someone else mentioned him as well, I checked our the website and it looks like a 1st class operation

Thin Water Tracker
03-18-2005, 02:05 PM
Hey D go out of Corpus You be in deeper water faster and get more bang for your buck. Going ten miles out down there is like going a 100 mile out of Galveston. You'll get more fishing time in.

Terry D
03-18-2005, 02:10 PM
go out of port isabell @ the south end of Texas
Deeper cleaner water and the beaches are nicer also

dwaynez
03-18-2005, 02:24 PM
TWT

Thanks, i went out of galveston before, but I have yet to fish out of corpus. Should be a fun trip, I would love to stock the freezer with some good eats.

dwaynez
03-18-2005, 02:25 PM
Lets Fish

Thanks for the info, I am the one in charge of finding us a place so I appreciate any advise and info you guys have.

dpiper
03-18-2005, 02:38 PM
I've used Captain Elliots of of Freeport about 6 times. The reason I like This charter service is because the boat ride is shorter than Galveston plus I can drive down the morning of the trip.

The boat ride out to deep water is still more than three hours.

dwaynez
03-18-2005, 03:17 PM
I found a nice looking place in Port Isabel ( Dolphin Docks Charters ) they do bay and deep sea trips for a very reasonable price and the boats they have look very well maintained. I am going to do a little more research on this but the Port Isabel area looks really nice.

dwaynez
03-18-2005, 03:19 PM
Piper
I will look at that one as well, I took a look at their website once alrady and it looked pretty good.

dwaynez
03-18-2005, 03:29 PM
Checked out Cpt Elliots site again, it looks pretty good as well and not as long of a drive, I appreciate all the recommendations so far, keep em coming my way.

Thin Water Tracker
03-18-2005, 04:23 PM
D the port is were I got the trout I'm holding in a vitar it was a trip we made down there last year. It a good area to do more than fishing so if you were going to make a weekend of it there something for everyone.

dpiper
03-18-2005, 04:30 PM
If your going to make a mini vacation out of it check this place out. I've never stayed here but would like to.

Wildhorse Lodge (http://www.wildhorselodge.com/)

dwaynez
03-18-2005, 04:33 PM
Piper

Thanks for the link, looks like a really nice place to stay.

dwaynez
03-18-2005, 04:35 PM
TWT

From what I have seen so far Port Isabel looks really nice, I have never fished there before, my only salt water trip was out of Galveston. The guide service I am thinking about is Dolphin Docks, looks like a good company and good people. I talked to them on the one already and they were very friendly and told me the snapper would be plentiful in June.

minner skinner
03-18-2005, 07:23 PM
Not sure of the best offshore boat but i do recomend getting a cast net. Then head down here and load up on fresh piggies, sand trout and/or mullets. Keep them on ice and leave the cut squid for the other squids to fish with. I know of quite a few folks that enjoyed Capt. Elliot. I do know the Bucaneer out of Galveston makes you leave your snappers on the deck all day long in the sun. I didnt think this was cool. I'd check on freezers or allowed coolers before forking over the cash.

michael dill
03-18-2005, 07:34 PM
Thats the good thing about Elliots, they allow Ice chest with food and drink where as others may not. Also they issue bags to tie off to the rail for your catch and keep them iced down for you. Anything big they throw in the saline frezzer and tag for you.

One suggestion for bait when you go is get some fresh ribbon fish and a few kingfish leaders and hang on! Last year when me and my son went he caught a 47" king i cast to with the ribbon fish and handed him the rod, the king just about jerked him overboard when he hit it, that and I lost a 40+# class wahoo that broke my line and my heart.

dwaynez
03-20-2005, 01:38 PM
minner skinner

I went aboard the bucaneer in the past and they did the same thing with the fish on the deck, most of the others i have seen welcome coolers or at least provide a cooler with ice.

dwaynez
03-20-2005, 01:40 PM
michael

thanks for the info, we are looking at Elliots pretty closely as well, not quite as long of a drive as the dolphin docks charter ( 400 miles ) compared to 168 to go out with cpt elliot.