PDA

View Full Version : Bull Reds!

jimmyjlazer
08-21-2010, 05:21 PM
When do the bull reds run in galveston? and whats a good spot to fish for them?

Snapshot
08-21-2010, 06:31 PM
I don't know the best place but I have been told that they will start to spawn in September and into early October. I think that is when they are moving around the shores best. - open for corrections and additions as this is all hear say and I didn't pay anything for it. So that's about what it is worth

baitfish
08-21-2010, 06:32 PM
They usally start around the first to middle of august. Don't know how long it lasts. I used to go to san luie pass and fish for them every year till the hurricane came in. Dont know if the pier is still there or not.

BigMike005
08-21-2010, 08:08 PM
I'm not an expert by any means..... but, we catch them yearly at the north jetty on large live shrim in August and September. September is the best time to take one of the1/2 bay boats with a reasonable chance of landing good reds for cheap trip. Take mullet or cigar minnows for yourself and get your line down to the bottom quickly... the good reds will usually be quick to jump on a 6" mullet.

Bass Fishin Tejanos
08-22-2010, 02:19 AM
They start running around late Aug til early and middle of Oct. We usually come out to San Luis Pass and get into a mess of them. I have seen ppl also land them off the surf as well.

Baitfish, the pier is no longer there. We just left the pass and they are still not running but it should be getting good in a couple of weeks.

jackiekennedyfishingguide.com
08-22-2010, 05:13 AM
Tailend is around Thanksgiving.

jimmyjlazer
08-22-2010, 08:53 AM
Thanks!
has anyone had any luck with gold spoons?

FishOn012089
08-22-2010, 09:37 AM
Thanks!
has anyone had any luck with gold spoons?

Ive never had any luck using spoons I usually use shrimp or fresh chopped mullet thats what seems to do the trick for me

baitfish
08-22-2010, 11:00 AM
Btf are they planning on rebuilding the pier or have you heard? That was my fav place to fish.

Bass Fishin Tejanos
08-22-2010, 05:58 PM
Btf are they planning on rebuilding the pier or have you heard? That was my fav place to fish.

I haven't heard any thing about them rebuilding it. But than again it did take them 2 years repair the camping park, so it my be their next project for next year. I'll keep you informed

vett0111
08-22-2010, 06:46 PM
They start running around late Aug til early and middle of Oct. We usually come out to San Luis Pass and get into a mess of them. I have seen ppl also land them off the surf as well.

Baitfish, the pier is no longer there. We just left the pass and they are still not running but it should be getting good in a couple of weeks.

X2 on what BFT said

John3:16
08-23-2010, 08:36 AM
The last that I heard is that they are not going to rebuild the pier. I decked a many a bull red on that pier and the 91st pier in Galveston which I heard that they are going to rebuild but that has been chatter since Ike. I have five custom wrapped Harnell surf rods that are aching to sling some shad again. They have rebuilt the 61st pier but I never fished on that one because it is pretty small. The Flagship Hotel is closed and used to be an option. I am probably going to make the drive to Corpus Christi and fish the Bob Hall pier when the action gets hot. If you go there make a run to Galveston and get some fresh shad as I have never been able to find any there.I prefer the middle of October as it is a little cooler on my bald head and three tide days. However the largest one I ever caught was in June of 05.

fishaholic35
08-23-2010, 09:18 AM
jetties jetties the end of the jetties noth jetty boat cut you always catch bull reds at the boat cut

vandolizm8
08-23-2010, 09:28 AM
Middle of Septemeber to November. Seawolf Park is a great place to fish for Reds and Black Drum during the runs.

baitfish
08-23-2010, 07:50 PM
Never fished seawolf much, maybe twice. I never see any one fishing there so i always asumed it did'nt produce well. I did see a couple older gents on the concrete bulk head one morning that were landing 20 -25 inch specs one after another. Did'nt go like that when i tried the next day though.

Bazooka Joe
08-28-2010, 02:10 AM
I have seen many Big Bull Reds caught at Seawolf...I have been there about 7 times and have seen a big fish pulled in there everytime but once....we have gone overnight and its a nice peir...it was way better before the Hurricanes messed it up but all of the gulf coast was better before the caines....But seawolf is a good peir with there not being many in galveston...i went a few weeks back and there was a group that caught a 5 foot black tip shark and a bull red at about 2:30am-3 am on cut bait back to back