PDA

View Full Version : I went and did it. Now need advise.

katjim00
08-30-2010, 07:06 AM
I finally broke and did something I have never done. Since it was license renewal time I went ahead and got a freshwater/saltwater combo. I am now going to ask for some help. I have always freshwater fished since I did not want any of the cleanup headache that goes along with saltwater fishing. I think my wife and I might give it a try a few times this year and see what happens

I do not want to buy lots of equipment to go fishing but since I live so close to the big water I am going to try. I am in need of guidence on what types of lures to buy and where to go. I will use my freshwater rods and reels and if I need to change out some string no problem. I think I would prefer to use live bait and hooks and corks over buying lots of artificials.

I live in La Porte so places close by would be prefered. Technique is another thing I guess I can research on the internet but I would like some info from ya'll as well. And most importantly boat care. I have an aluminum bass tracker modified V hull as they call it. Not a true deep V and not a shallow hull bass boat style either. Kind of an in between. Am I going to have to wash everything down on the outside all the time. My trailer is galvanized so I should be ok there. Of coarse I know I have to flush the motor so is running water with the ears ok or am I going to have to use a chemical salt flush?

Also what about some jettie fishing. I am good with leaving the boat at the house and setting out when it cools off a little. I just really have no idea where to go or how to do it when I get there. Sylvan "beach" is close to the house and I believe they just rebuilt the pier. I figured that would be an okay place to try since it is only about 5 miles from the house.

Any help is greatly appreciated and welcomed. Also if someone has an open seat they don't mind sharing I would like to learn from someone who knows what they are doing.

Thanks Jim

Pasadena65
08-30-2010, 08:12 AM
http://www.facebook.com/pages/La-Porte-TX/Lindas-Sylvan-Beach-Bait-Tackle/326896039020

Heres the link to the Sylvan Beach pier facebook page...Lots of pictures of the pier and you can read what others are posting and pictures of some of the fish they are catching..

Salt water fishing is fun.....

fishaholic35
08-30-2010, 10:17 AM
Piers open again cool really???

jakubbb
08-30-2010, 10:46 AM
Katjim I just recently got into salt water also. I really like it, can't say that I like one more than the other but it is nice to change it up and you can't beat how good those trout taste. I use my regular bass rods and reels with 14 lb mono. I do have curados so they are built for the salt but you have to clean them or they will go to ****. I just spray everything off when I get home and its not that big of a pain.

For some trout action get the cajun thunder popping corks, dunno why but those things work better in my opinion. They are louddd. Use 20lb mono for a leader with a size 6 treble, they are fairly small. We always use red ones, just a confidence thing. We have been wearing the trout out at seawolf park and don't have to worry about washing a boat but still get the saltwater fix and we go at night so its a bonus to not sweat to death. We use (2) 1000 watt stage lights from Cheaplights.com it brings bait in like crazy. Only thing I have to do when I get home is spray off reels and generator then wake up and clean some fish.

jakubbb
08-30-2010, 10:49 AM
The reason for the mono leader is to allow the shrimp to swim natural. I use the DOA artificial shrimp under a popping cork sometimes and if you are in them it works just as well as live shrimp. It is so fun watching that cork disappear, reminds me of being a kid perch jerking.

Eagle_One
08-30-2010, 03:23 PM
Bolivar jetty is always nice too. If you decide to take ur family. Seawolf is nice to but I dont like to be around a lot of people and rats. But yeah i take my lights out there and bring the trout in and u dont have to pay 8 bucks.

1448 BASSIN
08-30-2010, 05:45 PM
I dont salt water fish near la porte so i cant help there, but one note about your trailer, if you should take your boat out, make sure and rinse the axel off with fresh water, particularly where the hub is welded to the axel. This area is usually spray galvinized and not hot dipped like the rest of the trailer and is usually where the axel breaks. And make sure your hubs are full of grease. Good luck.

GILBERT G
08-30-2010, 08:27 PM
go to thompsons an fish the ATKINS ISLAND stay about 50 ft from the Island edge an cast close to the edge use shrimp on a cork you`ll catch specks, reds, sheep head.
the water is usually smooth .remember THOMPSONS BAIT CAMP
they are very generous with the bait.

katjim00
08-31-2010, 06:36 AM
Thanks everyone I will have to check into all these places as I know where none of them are or how to get to them. Except for Sylvan beach of coarse ;)