PDA

View Full Version : Huge Jack Cravelle I caught while on the ocean.

willcfish1
12-27-2015, 08:50 AM
I'm pretty land locked but got to the ocean and caught this beautiful Jack Cravelle. Thanks for the reminder to post on here. I love being a member.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVrZxLJMs7k

dan_wrider
12-27-2015, 09:13 AM
Horse of the sea. Pound for pound, not sure there's a harder fighter out there. Nice video man, thanks for sharing.

mikechell
12-27-2015, 02:20 PM
Sweet catch, that Cravelle! I like the variety of fish you caught. Very nice trip.

Lou The Fisherman
12-28-2015, 10:47 AM
Great video Will and a beautiful Cravelle. Thanks for posting.

SKsCrappie
12-28-2015, 01:15 PM
I dunno bout it being huge but yeah it was a nice'un....I woulda dog it out with that big ole pole you caught it on.....woulda had that joker in in aahhh couple minutes......
Gotta question fer ya.....
"don't ya eat'um"??? LOL:icon_mrgreen::taco:

jackiekennedyfishingguide.com
12-30-2015, 04:31 AM
That may be huge where you fish but not exactly huge by Texas standards, this one took nearly 30 minutes to land with an 8'6" Eagleclaw Granger steelhead rod.

Lou The Fisherman
12-30-2015, 02:30 PM
Holy Crevelle there Captn Jackie - that shore is a purty fish.

SKsCrappie
12-30-2015, 04:02 PM
That may be huge where you fish but not exactly huge by Texas standards, this one took nearly 30 minutes to land with an 8'6" Eagleclaw Granger steelhead rod.
Now that would be classified HUGE for aahh Jack, Jack.......LOL

Lou The Fisherman
12-31-2015, 03:14 PM
Are Jack Crevelle's good to eat?

Dutch
12-31-2015, 04:35 PM
Catfish should love them. They have very bloody meat and do not taste good... perfect for jugging!

SKsCrappie
12-31-2015, 07:58 PM
Have you heard of the cedar plank recipe? I here it works purdy good on those jacks.....:taco::biggrin:

luckydog
01-01-2016, 06:41 PM
Even though they are a Florida game fish most Texas would put a knife to the line and try to catch a nice eating fish like snapper ,reddish, or speckled trout. Pound for pound , those mackerel are great fighters but ...

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

vett0111
01-02-2016, 01:32 AM
Cool video

JACKIE that's a bigun

mikechell
01-02-2016, 08:57 AM
Even though they are a Florida game fish most Texas would put a knife to the line and try to catch a nice eating fish...

Are you saying Texans don't fish for sport, only for eating? I think you're making a very general statement for a population that probably doesn't share your sentiment on C&R or "keep and eat."

SKsCrappie
01-02-2016, 10:53 AM
Are you saying Texans don't fish for sport, only for eating? I think you're making a very general statement for a population that probably doesn't share your sentiment on C&R or "keep and eat."
I ain't sure the meaning of LD's post but how I interpreted it is there "there are better species to target".....if'n you're lookin for aahh fight those jacks are hard ta beat but they ain't one of most folks target species.....
Me knowing LD he wasn't trying to down anyone....mentioning Florida....
JMHO....

BrotherDoug
01-02-2016, 11:41 AM
I've caught lots of them. If you horse them in you can land them pretty quick. They always remain sideways to you, so if you don't horse them it will take forever to land them. I caught 18 big ones one morning with an ambassador 6000 and 20 lb line. the last one the line was wound so tight on the spool it popped the aluminum spool! I've eaten them, and they are edible if you cut thin steaks and play like your eating beef... Happy New Years to all!!!

SKsCrappie
01-02-2016, 01:06 PM
In the right situation there ain't nothin on this earth I won't try'n eat but while I've got choices if'n I want feesh it's gonna be crappie.....
They are tops over all species of feesh if'n ya ask me.....
Are jacks edible? Sure, but at this time they are trash in my opinion....& that's juss my opinion....

01-03-2016, 06:31 AM
To each there own, I sport fish and love the pull of a red drum and a Jack is way ahead of them on pulling power. I do also eat fish and bluecat is my choice and top in my opinion. Everyone is not the same and some like bream and I rate it right up there also.

BrotherDoug
01-03-2016, 09:44 PM
Besides pulling hard, Jacks readily hit lures which makes them sporting and fun. On the edible part, besides the horse meat color of their flesh, they are prone to be wormy, with holes through the meat to prove it... Fun to catch, but catch and release is their best use.

luckydog
01-04-2016, 07:08 AM
Lets get this straight Mikechel, anyone who fishes with me knows that I turn loose plenty of fish, big ones over 10 lbs and dinks, under 15 inches. All those big mouth perch are spared too. I do keep fish, but they are consumed pretty fast. Now back to catching Jacks, most are caught by tourist wearing black socks and sandals looking for a tug on their line. I would rather try to catch a large snook if I was looking for a battle. If you land one of those, you will know what I mean. Lots of fish in the sea for you and me.

mikechell
01-04-2016, 09:33 AM
Don't take it personal, Lucky. I was mostly wondering about the, "... most Texas would put a knife to the line and try to catch a nice eating fish ...".
I was kind of wondering if you cut off all your terminal tackle every time you realize the fish you're fighting isn't an "eatin' fish".

As usual ... my joking around doesn't go over as well in print as it does in person.

Lou The Fisherman
01-04-2016, 09:40 AM
I like to eat all fishes period. Was raised on em. If i had to pick my top 3 or 4 it would still be a nice hand sized blue gill fried up whole as # 1, then Walleye fillets #2 then Crappie fillets #3 and Catfish # 4 plus Reds on the half shell also #4 and my Whitebass #5 and a Flounder also #5. (Numbers 3, 4 and 5 could all be the same and it wouldn't hurt my feelings at all. It's all good.

A fried piece of fish with a hush pup, couple french fries, some raw onion and cabbage slaw is good any time of the day and twice on Sundays.

01-05-2016, 02:09 AM
When you put flounder at #5 I knew you was way off in the cough syrup. Id guess 3 bottles and chug a lug chug a lug.

Lou The Fisherman
01-06-2016, 10:32 AM
When you put flounder at #5 I knew you was way off in the cough syrup. Id guess 3 bottles and chug a lug chug a lug.

L O L oh my goodness I plum left out my cough syrup. That goes goot with everthang.
Shoot a flounder is hard to beat. Like I say, they all goot when fried up. Even an old gar ball ain't bad when fried up just rite and a leetle cough syrup and a good chew of red man rite afterwards.

vett0111
01-06-2016, 11:00 PM

Bawhahaha. I was thinking the same. :pig: