PDA

View Full Version : Battery charging

SKsCrappie
06-20-2017, 02:44 PM
Anyone with input on using a solar system to keep your bats charged?
I'm looking into getting a panel & charge controller to keep my batteries up.
What works & what's the best?

mikechell
06-20-2017, 08:22 PM
I am a fan of solar power.
However, I've never found the money and time to research battery charging systems. I know there's some good ones, but I can't help you find one.

vett0111
06-20-2017, 09:15 PM
Keep us posted on info you find out.

Gentleben
06-20-2017, 09:21 PM
Northen Tools has some pretty elaborate ones at a pretty a reasonable price not sure of the quatlity though..

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/NTESearch?storeId=6970&N=0&Ntk=All&Ntt=solar+battery+charger&Nty=1&D=solar+battery+charger&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&cmnosearch=PPC&utm_source=bing_PPC&utm_medium=AlternativeEnergy&utm_campaign=generic&utm_content=solar battery charger&mkwid=bGEY7gIJY&pcrid=1435629650&mtype=bb&devicetype=c&storeId=6970&langId=-1&type=search

SKsCrappie
06-20-2017, 11:10 PM
Yes sir I will for sure update this thread when I decide which way to go...

Thanks for the link Mr GB......

dan_wrider
06-21-2017, 06:54 AM
I use the Pa Pa method to charge my batteries. I just tell Pa Pa (my dad) what day we're going fishing and everything is ready :cheers:
It's nice still having your dad around to fish with....

SKsCrappie
06-21-2017, 07:36 AM
With me workn out of town it's hard to get them charged back up after a trip....usually I'll charge them up before taking the boat back to storage...but time hasn't been allowing that so the next easiest thing to do is solar or find another storage that has electricity....

jackiekennedyfishingguide.com
06-21-2017, 07:59 AM
I would find another storage that has electricity and put an onboard charger on it. This can stay plugged in and keeps the batteries at full charge all time. A battery loses some charge daily. I've heard 1% but regardless a good on board charger will always have it ready when you are.
Being as I presume you pay to keep the boat stored one with an electrical outlet is probably not much more expensive if any.

SKsCrappie
06-21-2017, 10:56 AM
The location of this storage works perfect for me & none of it's units has power.....
Goin solar & using a charge controller works just like most other chargers.....
It will charge full power and once the bats are topped off it works as a trickle charger....

Think I'm just gonna have to jump in & make this happen.....don't seem like there's many folks that use solar panels....I done quite a bit of research but just wanted confirmation that what I'm going to do will work....this will be too charge & keep charged the 4 bats I have in my boat...
I'll be charging my 24v for the tm with one 100w solar panel & 30 charge controller & on my other 2 bats I'm gonna make a cable to tie them in parallel just for charging & use another 100w panel & 30a charge controller for them....

Thanks for y'alls input.....I'll update if it works....
With all the research I've done I'm thinking this will keep them fully charged....

vett0111
06-21-2017, 10:14 PM
Get after it buddy. You will figure it out I'm sure.