PDA

View Full Version : Hammerhead shark new state record

vett0111
07-11-2017, 12:34 AM
Big ole hammerhead shark caught

https://apple.news/AorX943IlMDWO43qTRPjkHA

jackiekennedyfishingguide.com
07-11-2017, 08:34 AM
and to top it all off this very old shark was killed and not released, a sad state of events.

mikechell
07-11-2017, 03:01 PM
Jackie ... I am a firm believer in catch and release. At the same time, I am also a firm believer that sport fishing is no danger to the fish populations.
Catching/Harvesting more than one's own family can eat and commercial catch/harvesting are the culprits.

Considering the size of this one, it might have been near it's lifespan maximum anyway.

AthensMike
07-11-2017, 08:00 PM
Farewell and adieu to ye fair Spanish ladies....................

SKsCrappie
07-12-2017, 12:07 AM
He/She be aahh BIG'UN....

AthensMike
07-12-2017, 06:29 PM
Farewell and adieu to ye ladies of Spain........

jackiekennedyfishingguide.com
07-13-2017, 05:28 AM
A photo and release would appease most, but not others and give someone else a shot at landing the same fish. When the gaff hits em growth stops.
When you get in the golden years mikechell someone may just knock you off being as you are near life end anyway, no big loss-RIGHT.

Gentleben
07-13-2017, 07:38 AM
guess that's almost as bad a killing a snake because it squirms and crawls on the ground. to some people its not only about the catch but the kill...... to me i get more joy outta seeing someone else catch it.

A photo and release would appease most, but not others and give someone else a shot at landing the same fish. When the gaff hits em growth stops.
When you get in the golden years mikechell someone may just knock you off being as you are near life end anyway, no big loss-RIGHT.

mikechell
07-13-2017, 02:52 PM

Absolutely, Jackie. I'm not a "spring chicken" now ... and I totally enjoy my life. I'm hoping for many more years.
But I've seen plenty and done plenty. If I was to die today, it wouldn't bother me ... oh wait ... of course it wouldn't bother me, I'd be dead and not even know about it.

I'm sure the shark isn't suffering ONE bit, now.

SKsCrappie
07-14-2017, 10:48 AM
From what I've been reading & hearing the shark population has really exploded.... I heartily its hard to get other feesh in tha boat without a shark either chasing or getting a bite it of the caught feesh.... we may need to take a few more shark.... we even have'em in tha trinity river.....

AthensMike
07-14-2017, 06:54 PM
I was 7 years old when I saw JAWS. I might have cried a bit at the end while others were cheering. I have been fascinated by sharks ever since. Hammer heads and great whites especially. Tigers and makos are also high on the list of favorites.
Personally I would have been happy with a video and cut the monster loose to live another day. If I were to see that on the end of my line, after the battle, nope nope and nope.

mikechell
07-14-2017, 09:49 PM
From National Geographic ... a 2013 article.

http://voices.nationalgeographic.com/2013/03/01/100-million-sharks-killed-every-year-study-shows-on-eve-of-international-conference-on-shark-protection/

100 million sharks killed by humans every year.

Again ... I have no concerns over a person keeping a shark, or any other fish, for food.
A large portion of sharks are "finned". THAT kind of poaching makes me wish for global pandemic.