PDA

View Full Version : Flounder gigging question????

NewCaneyFishingLady
09-02-2006, 05:59 PM
Hi, I was shopping for gigs today and saw there are 2 frog gigs. A 3 prong and a 5 prong.

Since there is a $2.00 difference, I was wondering which one do you flounder gigging folks like? :thinking: :thinking: :thinking:

Also, what kind of pole to you attach to them and what kind of lighting do you use? Thank you so much!!! :dinnertime:

dpiper
09-02-2006, 07:03 PM
I gig my flounder with a fork.

why_knot
09-02-2006, 10:02 PM
there should be two types of gigs. The one you need is a flounder gig not a frog gig. The flounder gig is much thicker and should already be mounted on a pole (usually with one or two prongs). Frog gigs are not usually strong enough for salt water. A large flounder can bend a frog gig and the barbs can damage the meat.

Gentleben
09-03-2006, 05:35 AM
Thanks for the come back and welcome to teh site . I am kind ah like piper i gig mine with a fork too, it seems like flounder giggin would be alot of fun , ,MY luck is i'd probably gig ah sting ray and get stung:hammer:

bearwhiz
09-03-2006, 12:05 PM
Why knot is right. I always use the 2 prong if I'm in a boat as it is just a little bit more holding them on when I throw them in the boat. Flounder gigs have no barbs.

bearwhiz

willie
09-03-2006, 04:30 PM
i use a one or two prong barbless gig.i use a lantern with a shield on it.my buddies went thursday night and gigged thirty.one guy had bought a 12volt submersible light and pulled a small kids boat with the battery in it behind him.they said his light was 5 times briter than a lantern.now the others went and got them some 12 volts lights.

NewCaneyFishingLady
09-03-2006, 05:39 PM
Thanks everyone!! I went to Gander Mountain today and got a real flounder gig there, it has 1 straight, stainless prong.

Willie, I like the idea for the light. I had been wondering if one of those lights you can wear on your head would work.

Anyhow, I got my gigger, almost ready to get some flounder. .... :dinnertime:

bearwhiz
09-03-2006, 05:51 PM
The light on your head won't work as it won't penetrate the water.

bearwhiz

willie
09-03-2006, 06:56 PM
some academy's carry the 12volt lights and fishing tackle umlimited on 45s has them.i have also taking a pelican submersible flashlight and duct taped to a stick.the pelican brands are waterproof and work good under the water.

River Rat
09-03-2006, 09:19 PM
I have the 12 volt type light that goes under the water and I have an innertube that I put a 12 volt battery in that I pull behind me, it is just sitting here colecting dust. If you would like to borrow it give me a call . 281-441-2759. my name is Delbert.

NewCaneyFishingLady
09-04-2006, 01:41 PM
Wow, RiverRat, that is a very generous offer, thank you very much.

My brother is due back today, from hunting doves in the valley. When we get this flounder trip planned out, I will give you a call. Again, thank you!!