PDA

View Full Version : Need Lure advice

CircleHook
09-30-2006, 03:17 PM
Hows everyone doing? I'm about to go get some fishing supplies, so I need advice on which lures to pick out. I usually fish of San Luis Pass and sometimes the Surfside Jetties and whenever I go I mostly use dead/live bait most of time. My friends that I go with have been using Yo-zuri lures and have been catching speckled trout and other fish with them.

My question is, which Yo-zuri lure should I be looking into for Speckled trout? My friends used the 3d crystal minnows and the 3d fingerling. Also which colors work best?

I've also been looking into the Rapala X-rap slashbait, anyone use these either and what about those Texas Trout Killer II lures?

Thx

Gentleben
09-30-2006, 03:52 PM
Welcome to de board Circlehook ..I use perch and beef heart, shad so not much on salty fishing but some of those saltties will be by in a little bit to help you out!!!

dlmarinaman
09-30-2006, 03:57 PM
I can’t really give you much feedback on the hard bait, the only hard bait I chunk is a thunder stick and shedogs, now for the soft bait I may be able to help. I toss a tandem speck rig with a roach( hogie with a lime tail) and limetrusse (bass assassin)comb. Work very well for me in the surf and in the lights , I just started using a flutter hook.

I hope this helps..
Peace
Dwayne

OnlyTheHomely
09-30-2006, 04:26 PM
I gave this alot of thought before posting and almost decided not to say anything. Eighteen years ago when I started fishing Trinity Bay, I caught the majority of everything on a plumb and white shrimptail. I used a plain leadhead jig with no color but the lead color it came with out of the package. I caught more than my share of fish this way too. The thing is, now I have more than one tackle box full of all the colors and flavors that the tackle companies offer. If you know of something that works, use it. The main thing is to find something that you have alot of confidence in and throw it as if you expect to catch something on every cast. I have gone back to the plumb and white shrimptail along with chartreuse sand eel and solid white. You will find your favorites soon but you will continue to buy more and more just like the rest of us. That's why Academy stays soooo busy.

Paul

willie
09-30-2006, 05:15 PM
get some norton sand ell juniors glow and chart.pearl and white.also try some of the new berkly gulp 3"shrimp in new penny color.i also use plain lead jig heads.also i have had great luck at the pass with a white and chart. skitterwalk made by rapala.good luck.

NewCaneyFishingLady
09-30-2006, 07:01 PM
Interesting... Thanks for the help guys!!! I have only used live shrimp for specks.

Pawpop
10-01-2006, 02:59 AM
This is why I like FishingTx so much! Ask and Ye shall recieve.

Gentleben
10-01-2006, 05:46 AM
Thanks for the replys guys I learned something !!

fishin'lunatic
10-03-2006, 06:17 AM
I like the TTK plastics because they survive many a vicious hit from a speck and don't tear up as easy. The Gulp shrimp are stinky and $$. A little over 5 bucks for a pack of 5. Go with the DOA or try the new Bass Assassin shrimp cocktail. You can use them with jighead or under a popping cork. I'm gonna test 'em out at Keith Lake this friday to see what works best.

KingTut
10-03-2006, 07:39 AM
Last April while planning a trip to Port "A" I compiled this list from the web site "2coolfishing.com." Had a great time filling it at Academy!

strawberry/white tout
MR51 She Dog
MR51 808 chartreuse or dynamite
Top Dog Jr. in chartreuse
52MR subsurface, top water, Bone Spook
Spook Jr.
Saltwater Assassin in glow chartreuse
Clown Rubber-back
Black Silver Black TD Jr., Red Shad assassin
Speck-wrangler
Mirrow lure 1100w
Rappala F11 mag redhead
1 original Cocahoe
Producers Ghost
Corky
Pink Skitter Walk
Corky (any color)
Mojo Norton Sand Eel
1/4oz gold spoon
Woodpecker Super Spook
chrome and green She Dog
origional Queen Cocohoe in red and white
pink Skitter-walk
Got-Cha plug
Jumpin Minnow or Ghost
Morning Glory BA
Red and White Mirro-lure
Firetiger BA
TTF Pumpkinseed/chartreuse tail trout killer
Bone spook jr.
Weed less gold spoon
Chartreuse and Strawberry / White taut (bass assassin)
Redfish magic
white Skitter Walk
pink Skitter Walk

minner skinner
10-03-2006, 09:29 PM
well i have a box full of old "must have" and "my favorite" lures. throw what you feel is your favorite and sometimes try something else if you SEE it working. most of my favorite lures for saltwater are made for bass fishing so dont be afraid to try something different.

CircleHook
10-19-2006, 04:58 PM
Thx for the info everyone

Bassmaster 200
10-19-2006, 09:36 PM
i would probably try the x-rap then try some of the yo-zuris. I think that you are better off just using shrimp or cutbait. I would try with the smaller bait for the speckeled trout unless you are also trying for snook, shark, jack or even the redfish closer to shore. try close to some of the peirs or off some of the peirs. I usually de head and de tail the shrimp then skin them. use a half an ounce weight and have an inline hook about 1 1/2 feet up from your weight.

CircleHook
10-20-2006, 12:40 AM
The Yo-Zuri ones my friends let me use worked very well when I first tried them. I personally like the 3d crystal minnows and the 3-d fingerlings.