PDA

View Full Version : Fishing in Cozumel

Charles Ellis
10-01-2006, 08:00 PM
I just got back from a 7 day cruise around the Carribean.I got a chance to go fishing in Cozumel.It was pretty much a bust.We did put 4 fish in the boat,but none were very large.We got 2 barracuda,1 very small tuna, and 1 that I didn't reconise.The only tactic that was used was trolling.I guess the easiest discription is,6 guys paying to fish($140 each),5 lines out for 4 hours,4 small fish boated.I was not impressed with the fishing operation offered from the cruise ship but I could be overly critical.It was a disappointing first deep sea fishing trip.It almost has to get better from here.

croxt
10-01-2006, 10:11 PM
sorry to hear it was a bust. could it be the wrong time of year? What kind of depth were you fishing in?

whitebassfisher
10-02-2006, 07:47 AM
Sorry you did not catch more, but the cruise was probably great.

Charles Ellis
10-02-2006, 10:34 AM
It was our first cruise and it was O.K. I guess I'm not much of a cruise person.My wife enjoyed it much more than I did.I have agreed to go on another cruise,but only if we go to ALASKA!!!!

Bgbluecat
11-15-2006, 07:05 PM
I thought fishing in Cozumel was poor also but I did see the biggest barracuda ever there (and I've seen many). Lot of poor people that supplement diets with fresh fish by any means they can get them sort of cuts into the numbers of fish available. Offshore gets better. On a 4 hour charter the skipper hasn't the time to get you out into more productive water so you probably did good getting the 4 fish.

I didn't like the charter prices while on a trip to Jamaica so I went to a local beach where the island sustenance fishermen pulled their boats out. Struck up a deal for $75 for an old fella to take me out the next morning. We trolled awhile and bottom fished awhile (at over 300' depth) - got a bonita, a jack and 7 silky snapper. Took 4 largest snapper back to hotel (let the fisherman keep the others) and traded 2 to the cook to prepare the other 2 for me and wife. Pretty good deal.

If you do get out on that Alaska cruise, work in at least one day for a 12 hour halibut trip. Super but you got to get your arms and back ready for it. 1 - 3 lb cannon ball weights on a release clip, 100lb test rigs fished 100-400' deep. Any fish caught is a work out just to get it to the surface. An 80 pounder will just about kill any normal American couch potato.

Charles Ellis
11-15-2006, 10:39 PM
I'm a couch potato alright,but before we go to Alaska I will make sure to work out a little.I definately want to catch a halibut,but don't want a heart attack doing it!!!!!

Scotta
11-16-2006, 08:48 PM
Sorry you didnt have any better luck than that. Try to talk her into going to Costa Rica, I hear the fishing in crodile bay is fabulous.

Charles Ellis
11-17-2006, 05:56 AM
Scott the fishing is usually fabulous everywhere,except where I am!!!!!!!!!

dwaynez
11-17-2006, 08:48 AM
Sounds like a great trip, my wife wants to take a cruise for our next vacation.

cacciato71
11-19-2006, 11:28 PM
Man I hated our cruise to Cozumel. I am definitely not a cruise person. We loved Cozumel though so we went back 6 months later and stayed on the island. i got in a fishing trip that time. 450.oo dollars for eight hrs and 4 dorado. We went to Xcalac this year and saved a ton of money over the Coz trip. One word of caution it is very remote. i can provide info for you. this is the trip if you want beauty and fishing. 1 guided trip 200 for eight hours. After paying my half, tipping the guy 60 bucks, and giving him the pick of my tackle box I still felt like I was ripping the guy off. Also there was a lagoon in back of the house that had plenty of barracuda, baby tarpon, jack crevalle, and mangrove snapper. You accessed this place by draggin a kayak through a mangrove swamp a short distance and then open water. In ten days fishing never saw another soul on the lagoon.