PDA

View Full Version : galveston county

minner skinner
02-04-2004, 08:36 PM
Seen a few other fellow galveston county folks on here. Would love to to hear from yall, especially if you're getting on fish. Maybe a saltwater gathering is not in the too distant future? What do yall think?

Gentleben
02-04-2004, 08:46 PM
I'll go but somebody gonna have to teach this old dog, causin I don't ever saltie water fish!!

minner skinner
02-04-2004, 09:06 PM
First get ya a saltwater stamp, then give me a hollar. Don't need more than your average freshwater set-up, I use 12# test line. Just dont go sticking your finger in any salty fishes mouth or might not be able to count past 9. My catch ratio really improves around april but luck is better than skill sometimes get into them earlier. Besides any live shrimp you don't use for bait is great for dinner. Lets fish. :D

Gentleben
02-04-2004, 09:09 PM
I am going to keep that in mind, about the fingers in the mouth and will take you up on a fishing trip!!Thanks
You gonna be at the gathering???

minner skinner
02-04-2004, 09:19 PM
really really wanted to go but thats the only day I'm busy(2/14/04 right). Got a saltwater fishing seminar in the morning over in baytown (already paid my entrance fee). Then going to houston supercross race that afternoon(already bought tickets for family). Wishin I was fishin, any body going out sunday?

Gentleben
02-04-2004, 10:33 PM
Sunday morning we'll be picking up jugs ,cleaning fish and breaking camp , we'll probably be there til about noonish!!

Warden
02-05-2004, 01:06 AM
i have guest coming sunday, will probably be around till dark on sunday, as advertised 13, 14 and 15

waterspout
02-05-2004, 09:08 AM
Minner skinner , I was gonna go to the SALT seminar but I have to get my son to Reliant to the pits early sat. morning. He races BMX and Motocross so thats an allday event for me. Haven't missed one in so long I cann't count that high anymore, so what one more right

You should enjoy the seminar alot of good info will be there with some top notch guides

minner skinner
02-05-2004, 09:21 PM
Waterspout, Cool another rider. The best time to meet all the riders when they are relaxed is about 45 min to an hour after the race. The security will leave and just go on in the pitts. Lots of souvenier parts (plastics, tires autographs and some will even let you sit on a factory bike for a picture).By the time you leave, all the traffic will be cleared. Ill be there, maybe will see ya there. Heck I know a few houston area tracks with pretty good fishing. Have to hook it up. :D

minner skinner
02-08-2004, 08:10 AM
Is anyone catching any wintertime reds? I've seen a few reported catches over at Greens Cut. If any of you have drifted this area or fished "muddy streaks" of water, some advice just might help this ol boy out.

Bgbluecat
02-08-2004, 05:19 PM
I used to wade and drift the flats pretty hard. Drifting, I pulled two croaker or pinfish rigs behind the boat and cast plastic down wind. Worked well for me but it was principally a warm weather effort. It got to be too much work competing with too many other fishermen for too few fish so I changed to offshore. Usually wait until the water gets to about 72 degrees before I start. Have found so many bull reds around the near rigs that I've had to move to get away from them. Don't know what others call "bulls" but have spent an afternoon releasing fish 42" - 44" fish.
I've got an old 20' Grady White so holler at me this spring. Usually have room for a third hand. Beyond that, a 20fter gets crowded when the fishing gets fast.
May see you at the gathering this coming weekend.

minner skinner
02-08-2004, 07:29 PM
:D Thanks for the tip. I know what you mean about the crowds. I try to avoid most of the crowds. Got a few spots that fish know about but not to many other people. One tip I was told was to never pass up a shore bird, this has served me well. Can't wait for that 70 degrees mark.

Gentleben
02-08-2004, 11:57 PM
Put my name on that list :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ,

waterspout
02-09-2004, 08:02 AM
The reds have been in shallow water around upper Jones lake area. Fish those shallows when the sun is up and key in on the mullet. You will see the difference between rafting and nervous mullet. when fishing the mud streaks try to drift just inside the mud lines. throw your bait to the clearer water and slowly bring your bait back into the mud streaks. Trout and reds will wait just inside the dirty water for an ambush on the bait and if your drifting across the streak throw about a foot or less into the clear and reel right back down it keeping your bait right on the edge. my 2cent :shock:

minner skinner
02-09-2004, 07:57 PM
Sounds like some solid advice. Thanks :D Looking for a chance to try it out. Jones lake is but a short drive for me. I like using those sand-eels and spoons. Finger mullet is also a favorite. What have you guys used for bait with success?

waterspout
02-10-2004, 08:31 AM
Chartruese assassins, yellow assassins, yellower assassins ,Goosetruese assassins, did I mention yellow or chartruese. And sometimes I might throw a red assassin with silver flake, I also like the corky devil for the winter bite with nery slow retrieve with a twitch every now and then did I mention usen the Chartruese Assassin :lol: :lol:

there are time when darker colors are suppose to be better ( muddy water etc.) but I still go back to the ol trusty Yellow :D

minner skinner
02-10-2004, 07:42 PM
I also love those chartruese ones. Once was guide remarked about He also liked that color as I was cutting one off to put some livebait on. Later while He was digging through his stuff, I noticed a clear plano box containing nothing but alot of chartruese colored plastics. The only color he had. I've got one devil corky but never used it. Those things are worth more than their weight in gold down in S.Texas. Once paid for a fishing trip along King Ranch shoreline for only 30 dollars worth of Corkys. His offer still stands. This Friday (2/13/04) morning going to try that N. Jones lake if weather permits. Any takers? Being friday the 13th and all. :shock:

02-10-2004, 07:54 PM
man come on down to the gathering friday morning on lake houston and flush some of the salt out with some (muddy) fresh water may even get some catfish slim on you not as good as a gaftop but slime is slime :P

Warden
02-11-2004, 11:03 PM
CORKYS ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

for a winter lure, aint nothin better than that devil with the rattle

minner skinner
02-12-2004, 06:22 PM
Was wondering how you rig a rattle in one of those corkys? Is He (Mr. Corky) still selling out of his house or is there somewhere else to get em? What color corky do you consider your lucky color? Do yall use a loop knot with em? Whats your best catch on a corky?

minner skinner
02-15-2004, 11:05 PM
Armed with some new tactics and a different view. Just returned from that S.A.L.T.-Baytown seminar, Learned a lot of stuff, All you could eat bar-b-que, donuts, snacks and drinks. A few salty guides spilled some of their best techniques, fishing holes and lure preferences to my needy notepad. Even walked away w/ some free lures. Was a great time and recommend it to anyone that likes catching fish. If it ain't chartruese, there ain't no use.

waterspout
02-16-2004, 07:51 AM
Is He (Mr. Corky) still selling out of his house or is there somewhere else to get em?

Pual Brown ... 10626 Members, houston, tx 77089.... 713-946-9188
www.corkybandL.com

minner skinner
02-17-2004, 09:57 PM
I never knew that the color of the gills determined the type of Corky. The white, black and absent gills are all different. Better go see what kind I have. Thanks for the website. Wow a week of nice weather. :)

minner skinner
03-20-2004, 10:37 PM
Fished over by Eagle Point and Moses Lake today 3/20/04. Boated several reds and a few flounder. A few throwbacks also. Shopped around and found some live shrimp. Threw plastics but to no avail. Was such a nice day and a good bite that the hardheads didn't even hear a few choice words that I usually share with them (atleast not the first one). Word around the ramp was that a 70 lb + black drum was caught. Probly 5 lbs of worms. yuck.

minner skinner
04-19-2004, 07:51 PM
Went by outriggers resturant over in seabrook. watched the weigh ins of the trout masters tourney. Some some big fish and ate some great food.