PDA

View Full Version : big burly black drum

minner skinner
02-21-2004, 09:08 PM
Some fun fish are moving in as I type this. This time of year, some big black drum start moving into the bay. It's common to catch 20# to 50# drum on crab halves. It's illegal to keep these big fish but they sure are fun to catch. I'll bet you your arms will want to stop fishing before the fish stop biting. Like reeling in a 40# sack of potatoes(over and over again). Who wants to go?

minner skinner
02-26-2004, 06:53 PM
Well me, steve, his son and ?(could be you) are going. Heading on Friday night to the ship channel (no boat needed).trying to locate some blue crabs for dinner and hopefully some for bait. Should will have some pictures to display. Any of ya'll interested just give me hollar. A standard 12 lb set up will work just fill the spool and lube the drag. :D

medulla762
02-27-2004, 07:06 AM
Oh yeah! The "big uglys" is about to run!

02-27-2004, 07:49 AM
i may walk fast but the gator dont run!!!!!

waterspout
02-27-2004, 08:53 AM
Hey Minner you need to call TP&W wardens to make sure you can get your bait. Crab season closed last saturday the 21st for crab trap clean up in the bays and I don't think it opens again till monday march the 1st just check to make sure you don't get in trouble try'n to have a lil fun.

good luck l8r Darryl

medulla762
02-27-2004, 09:21 AM
If you buy the crabs from Fiesta be sure to keep the receipt just to be on the safe said.

minner skinner
02-27-2004, 09:34 PM
Didn't think about that one. thanks guys Better let em be till after the first. I'll need lots of crabs since them big drum don't come to the table at dinner time.

Warden
02-29-2004, 12:06 AM
they been catchin em all day long on the pier here in corpus today. bait of choice is live or fresh dead sea lice.

i went last night and couldnt catch nothin but economy size hardheads and specks from 4" to 13"

wish it were the other way round

Warden
02-29-2004, 12:11 AM
oh, P.S.

i saw some reds busting mullet on top on some flats just off the intercoastal in aransas pass yesterday. tried a bone producer for awhile, but i think i needed a super spook jr. it is time now, in the late afternoons on flats adjacent to the big channels. reds and specks in the potholes