PDA

View Full Version : surf fishing

vernon courvelle
01-24-2007, 06:41 PM
whats your favorite spot for bull reds???. i always went to highisland, and went left on the beach. a couple miles, less fishermen, and water seemed deeper.

Extreme Sharker
01-24-2007, 08:53 PM
Thats where I have caught and seen caught more there than anywhere and the largest by far. There are some really big fish there, just gotta deal with the nudies I have seen them get real obnoxious criminal even. We try to get as far past them as we can I take our ranger where only a 4*4 should be and thats where We set um up and knock them down, besides the huge bull reds there are some nice big toothies of several species, and ray's that have covered the hood of My truck.

roadtrip57
01-24-2007, 11:44 PM
Great area in a small group to fish camp get away. Not the safest place alone too many nuts out [thieves]. Early winter till late spring till the mosquito's get bad. It can seem like the coldest place on earth when a front catches you unprepared. I think there is almost a bull red run year round, lots of reds.

willie
01-25-2007, 04:28 PM
besides high island i have also done well around san luis pass.thats all i know unless you have a boat.and then it would be the jetties or sabine pass.them big reds are fun to catch but they aren't real good to eat.

whitebassfisher
01-25-2007, 04:40 PM
I remember reading of a huge bull shark caught off the High Island area in the past.

Scotta
01-25-2007, 05:33 PM
I have seen some people fishing the beach across from the rusty hook on Galveston Island. They are usually at the beach across from the water tower. I dont know if it's true but they told me the island points out there. I couldn't argue with them because they were yanking the Bulls out.

whitebassfisher
01-25-2007, 05:42 PM
Turning toward the beach at the Rusty Hook and then driving to be even with the water tower is one of the few places I've caught specks to speak of while wading in the surf.

Scotta
01-25-2007, 06:12 PM
I caught a limit every morning before 10 am for a week straight in august where the seawall ends. Even got into some bird action while it was raining. Caught a fish every cast for 10 to 15 minutes. One of the best trips ever. If the water color is right this is a good spot to wade the surf. I had three spools get taken straight out to see probable a Bull. Hooked on chrome rat'l trap. Who knows thats one thing I like about the surf you get a grab bag and never know what you got. Freshwater, if you are fishing with lures, you have target a certain species with your type of tackle and location. I guess that isnt true OCOE has a honey hole and comes with a grab bag everytime.