PDA

View Full Version : Flounder help

CircleHook
06-05-2007, 08:44 PM
Hows it going guys? I might go fishing in about a week and I was thinking of targeting flounder. I will more than likely be fishing from the beach or surf and will try to catch flounder with lures. I have the DOA shrimp in glow/white color and also the Texas Trout Killer 2. I also have some hard plastic lures as well as some soft plastics from Texas Tackle Factory like the double rigged shad. I was wondering what the best method of fishing for flounder would be with lures.

Also, do flounder take dead mullet?

Thx

Bill Barrick
06-05-2007, 09:35 PM
One of my fishing partners is a pretty good flounder catcher, so I try to use the same baits that he does. One of his favorites is ZOOM Fat Albert Grub in White Pearl, another is a red plastic with a white tail simulating a shrimp body. Some people swear by putting a small piece of Flounder belly skin (size of a nickle) on the hook of the jig head. Run a live bait 18 inches above that on a 6 or 7 inch leader. At times the clear water is all the way to the beach and the Spanish Mackerel come in and cut the line as if it were cut with scissors. Then you change to wire leader. They liked the white grub one day for me.

gator
06-05-2007, 10:29 PM
best bait for me has always been mud minnows

Scotta
06-06-2007, 06:53 AM
Mud minnows at High Island park in La Marque. Always caught limit. Dont even have to ride all the way to Galveston

Ole Bill
06-06-2007, 07:03 AM
thats what i would use too is mud minnows not much on artificial when it comes to flounder

RECONER
06-06-2007, 09:52 PM
Drag the arti as slow as possible and wait for the THUMP!

CircleHook
06-07-2007, 12:13 AM
Thanks for the help people.

BTW did anyone try these flounder pounder lures before?

http://www.flounderpounder.net/pounders%202.htm

gator
06-07-2007, 04:24 AM
nope seems a little pricey but i have seen mud minnows out preform plastic enough to just use them but if i had a few of those i would try it any way

gator
06-07-2007, 04:28 AM
something that may help when im flounder fishing usually fall of the year drag it slow and when it feels like a tap do not set the hook just stop and wait a minute because they will grab a bait turn it and slowly eat it. give em a second to swallow it then set the hook and call me i will bring the butter and lemon pepper

Ole Bill
06-07-2007, 03:47 PM
i can bring the crab meat stuffing and tomatoe and trinity sauce

Bill Barrick
06-07-2007, 05:09 PM
06-07-07
I have used the flounder pounder on the bottom and as mentioned before and a live bait above. Sometimes we caught fish on live shad--mullet and mud minnows. Once in a while the plastics caught some. I lean toward live bait. Several ol codgers at Sea Wolfe Park (wade fishing) talk about how long to wait before setting the hook after you feel the little subtle nibble. The one guy said to count to ten and another said count to 100. I think he was exaggerating some. ???? When you see someone else catching all the fish, it might pay to find out what they are doing. It may only be that you are just not holding your mouth right. BAWhhhhaaaaaaahaaaaaa

Bill Barrick
06-07-2007, 05:13 PM
What is "Trinity Sauce?" Ol Bill

Ole Bill
06-08-2007, 07:01 AM
What is "Trinity Sauce?" Ol Billthat is diced tomatos with chopped onion celery and bell pepper a pinch of cayenne to taste and a pinch of salt if ya want it 1/4 teaspoon each of sweet basil oregano and tyme. stew in a pot for 15 to 20 minutes cool slightly and serve it spooned over the top of stuffed flounder. the onion celery and bell pepper is known in cajun cusine as the trinity and that is why it is called trinity sauce if ya want to use fresh herbs like i do then use 1/2 tsp. or a little bit extra of the three herbs. fresh herbs are not as strong as dried are

catfishjon
07-24-2007, 08:41 AM
I like to go flounder gigging and I am looking for someone to rig out my boat with the rails, lights, and small motor needed for this type od fishing. I also like to shoot carp and gar and will use this boat for that also. Anyone have a recommendation that I could contact about getting this work done? Thanks, Catfishjon