PDA

View Full Version : Bass boat in the bay?

cpowell
08-03-2007, 03:27 PM
I have had this 15 ft. Pacer Venture with 70 hp Johnson for several months now and am really comfortable with it on the lake. We fish Conroe a lot, so now the wife wants to try the bay for something really exciting.
My question is this: Anyone here ever really put a bass boat in the bay? If so how did it do? How big are the swells in the bay, thinking East Bay but not offshore. Too scary for me, but has someone done that too?
Maybe I am just stupid for even asking such a thing because all I ever recall seeing are bigger boats. I just wonder if it is possible.
Thanks for any input.

Scotta
08-03-2007, 03:50 PM
Watch what you are doing. Bass boiat hulls arent made for the big swells of the ships you will encounter. I saw a bass boat anchored fishing the jetties roll over when one of the ships passed by and the swell hit the boat broadside. You can do it but be real careful and go into the swells and I wouldnt anchor anywhere near the ship channel and for god sakes wear a pdf. Good luck thrill seeker. lol

otocatchfish
08-03-2007, 04:04 PM
Well im a mom

Scotta
08-03-2007, 04:07 PM
Well im a mom
What?

otocatchfish
08-03-2007, 04:29 PM
I was trying to type somthing and I got distacted and had to do somthing and out of habit I pushed the post button and now I dont remember what I was going to say but it wasent that Im a mom. Oh well guess It wasent important anyway cause I dont remember what I was going to say.

Scotta
08-03-2007, 04:36 PM
Your too funny otocatchfish

john
08-03-2007, 05:39 PM
You have to be careful anywhere in a 15ft boat.They just aren't for ruff water.

gator
08-03-2007, 08:34 PM
watch the winds se wind try the intercoastal or north shore of bolivar
try double bayou great for e-se wind but if you get by ship channel they push a big wave you can run behind spoil bank just watch it and you will be okay and look for a low wind day best of luck

Ole Bill
08-03-2007, 09:50 PM
oto im glad to hear im not the only one with forgetful moments. in my case its called senior moments dont know what yer excuse would be. bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhahah

otocatchfish
08-03-2007, 10:24 PM
Oh yeah dont forget to wash your equip. and everything off real good when you get back. And I know you can put that bass boat in the bay cause I put my 14' Jon with a 9.8 motor in the bay, but when you see big dark clouds offshore youde better run for it cause it is on you before you know it and that is where I messed up or mabey I messed up by putting my boat in the bay in the first place. But I didnt drown and I still have my boat so youl be fine just watch the weather and be carefull.

Ole Bill
08-03-2007, 10:45 PM
I think the safest thing to do is find someone on this forum that has a boat suited for that type of water and hook up with them. you could offer to buy half the bait and fuel im sure there would be someone interested in that.

willie
08-04-2007, 04:17 AM
you will be ok if you fish the east side of east bay.stay away from the west side near the ship channel. might be better to go with someone familar ith the bay to show you some spots to fish.right now the bay has alot of fresh water runoff tfrom the trinity river. good luck

RECONER
08-04-2007, 05:23 AM
Get ya a good map and remember your are in the bay and not on the lake.

libertyFF
08-04-2007, 01:41 PM
I have a 16ft Aluminum with a 25 evinrude. I have taken it all over in the Freeport/Surfside area without any major problems. I would suggest this area as a good place to learn. You are never very far from some type of civilization and the area is not that big. HOTSPOTS has a good map of this area..Christmas and Bastrop bays and Cold pass are good places to learn. Be careful running around, reefs and such. The only problem you might have is in christmas, it can be pretty shallow. You being in a bass boat might have problems getting on plane. Obviously watch the weather closely. Good luck!fireman2

dpiper
08-04-2007, 08:49 PM
Good advice liberty

Ole Bill
08-05-2007, 07:25 AM
thanks liberty that tells me where i can put my lil ole 15 footer with 50 hp in the salty sea without to much trouble

cpowell
08-05-2007, 04:30 PM
Having seen todays report of some guys in a 22 ft. getting swamped by a passing ship I don't think I will ever get into the channel but that Freeport area sounds more like it. I just want to mess around, not getting too far from land. Nervous type I guess.
I would like to catch some snapper or something, maybe a little shark just to say I have.
I think maybe I need to have a little more experience on the lake for sure. A couple of weekends ago I was on Conroe and the swells looked to be about a foot and a half in a driving rain and I was REALLY nervous! So, I don't think I want to be out where the big ones are.
I will be putting this info in a file for later though.

Thanks again.

Juggernaught
08-08-2007, 09:33 PM
All we fish is saltwater and we got an 18'8" BayStealth I would not reccomend usin a bass boat in saltwater cause of the swells like everyone said it's just dangerous

greyloon
08-08-2007, 09:58 PM
You aren't going to catch snapper near shore. They are a deep water fish, mostly. West Bay may be ok, just don't get too far toward the channel.

minner skinner
08-31-2007, 09:32 PM
there is pleny of places in Gal. bay to run that boat. mainly stay away from the the jetties,ship channel or ANY beaches or shorelines close the HSC. moses lake is a well protected area. remember that there are lots of reefs to run aground or tear up a lower unit. also be aware of barges in the ICW. i can show you a few places sometime just PM me.