Thread: first red on a topwater...finally

Web Owner Master in FishingTX

first red on a topwater...finally

after a long dang wait, i got my first red on a topwater. it was real fun.

got him on a red/white producer. which may become my new confidence lure as it has been the main fish catcher last weekend and this weekend

plus they are only 2 bucks....let's see, they are outfishing mirrolures and are 3-4 bucks cheaper...is this a no brainer?

Senior Member FishingTX Angler Supreme
    please please tell me more. Were you on a shallow reef or working a grass line or something different? Was the water clear or muddy from the winds? were you wading or in a boat? I still have not caught a red on a topwater but i'm working on that. Great catch.

Thin Water Tracker
    If you want to catch reds on top water go south. Rock port area or the back side of PINS you'll get more than you wan't I got my first one about seven year back I was wading in about eight to 10 inches of water and could see her back sticking out of the water up close to the shore line she was runing bait up on the shore and then going back out and run ing up again I watched her do this for ten min. before I got close to throw a lure at her. It took four cast with the lure working pass her before she pick her head up she made a large half circle and smack it lure and the fight was on. A 7.5 lb red in ten inches of water was a blast. A thing I will never forget and will love to do till the day I die.

The lower coast is the place to go if you want to do this day in and day out the reds are so thick in places down there in the bays you would think you could walk across some of the large schools. We seen school with 200 or more fish working out from the shore line 50 or so yards and part would be right up on it. seeing 20 or 30 reds with their back showing get the blood pumping like it never has.

Web Owner Master in FishingTX
    now listen here...i fish behind the island like every week and i have yet to see that big school of reds.

not that it's not there, just elusive as ****.

we hear...."BIG SCHOOL WORKING EAST FLATS FOR THE PAST THREE DAYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" we get there...nothing skunk o rama. anyway, enough negativity. the school is there, but it obviously don't like the boat that sez GIT-R-DONE on the side.lol

basically minner, we were just drifting through the area we have been drifting for the past three weeks. it is a grass flat about 3-4 feet deep with sand potholes. we were close to the shore when i got the fish. also, this weekend all the fish that were caught were within 35 yards of the shoreline.

o yeah, and unless i say otherwise, i went out and threw topwaters the whole trip.

another thing that works pretty good is to throw a 4 1/2'' slug-go or slimy slug (bass worm) Texas rigged weightless on a 2/0 wide gap offset shank worm hook tied with a loop knot. if you work it along the surface, you can even walk the dog with it. these dudes catch fish too!

Thin Water Tracker
    Yarborough pass area is a good place to go and find large schools. Yarborough flats the Islands south of there you can normaly find large schools of reds working the thin water.