Thread: Exempt vs. Non-exempt

Senior Member Master in FishingTX CajunDan's Avatar

Exempt vs. Non-exempt

Anybody on here an exempt. I got asked today from the boss about a posibility of me going to an exempt status.

I'm looking for some pros and cons of exempt vs, non-exempt status.

Lets here what ya'lls opinions are.
    Phish On!

Web Owner Master in FishingTX
    My opinion is get on the exempt status, you'll love it.

Administrator Master in FishingTX Gentleben's Avatar
    1st layoff ur gone , lots of perks :lol:

Nine Lives
    Are you reffering to Federal Tax Withholding status on your paycheck? EXEMPT?

If so, I've done this several times in the past with no problems. BUT only under special circumstances.

I think he is referring to being exempt from federal overtime laws. If you are exempt you get a set salary. Which means if you work 1 hr in a week or 120 hrs in a week your going to get a set amount of money. Which end of that spectrum do you think they'll expect out of you?

Your job has to meet certain guidlines for it to be considered an exempt position. Check into that to see if your job fits the bill first off. Find out what is in it for you secondly. They don't convert your job just for the fun of it. It is because your employeer thinks he will be getting more out of you for the same money or the same work for less money. Many times there are priveledges such as unlimited sick time or other perks that seem like a good deal but, in reality are never used and don't add to the bottom line of what you are there for, to make the most money you can for your family.

Read this to see if your situation applies to the standards for your job being converted to an exempt status.

http://www.whoi.edu/services/HR/supervis/exempt.htm

Senior Member FishingTX Angler Supreme MicroSoft's Avatar
    Go for it , even though Bozo may be correct, you may wind up on the smelly end of the stick.
    MC

I am not trying to discourage him from accepting the conversion. I am just cautioning him to ensure that he gets something that is of value in return for the extra hrs. he is probably going to have to put in.

More than likely, they are going to steer you into a supervisory role and that may not pay dividends at the moment but, could be very valuable in the future when raise time comes around or if you ever change companies.

Senior Member Master in FishingTX CajunDan's Avatar
    Trying to negotiate the terms now. It will be a stepping stone position but what the steps are have not been covered or defined. I have to talk to the HR folks this week and see what it's all about.
    From what I've found out so far is that it's not set in stone ain't won't unitl I can get to an agreement point on the terms.
    Phish On!