Thread: Vibrio Vulnificus

Thin Water Tracker

Vibrio Vulnificus

Well it looks like my saltwater fishing had be derailed for a few months. Mama said I could go with all the new out about Vibrio Vulnificus. She said I was taking a chance on my life every time I hit the salt. And with my immunosuppressant medications I take after my transplant I got a more than a 90% chance of getting the stuff. Life sucks but I have to agree with her. It’s not worth the chance. She work hard and I put here through a lot and a lot of people worked hard to keep me around. So I think me giving up a few fish for a while isn't that much to give up. I don’t think there is a time I don’t have a cut or scrape on my hands. I haven’t wade fished that much and when I did I had to say it was on my mind most of the time. I hate to say it but I’m out of the salt till the water cools off. Which isn’t what I want but I have grand kids I want to teach how to fish and I can’t do that six foot under or without hands or arms.
    So you guys that are out there and hitting the salt it be sure to carry some bleach and something to put on those cut and scrapes. Losing something off you body isn’t worth a few fish. I know some of you thing this is a 2% way of thinking when it come to fishing but I have gotten a 2nd chance at life and not going to lose it. I guess I see you on the lakes. Here are some links if you haven’t looked in to this stuff. I can wait on those flounder if I have to.

http://www.surviveoutdoors.com/refer...infections.asp

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dbmd/disea....%20vulnificus

Nine Lives
    I heard a story from a couple years back, that a guy got infected with this stuff when he was "finned" by a redfish at the cleaning table. Supposedly this stuff spreads really fast. News story from last couple of weeks said 2 guys went to the hospital the next day after being infected, and ended up in intensive care. Another guy went to the hospital two days after being infected. He ended up with an amputation.

Thin Water Tracker
    There has been a death also he had a transplant . and was on immunosuppressant medications which kept him from pulling out of it. It's hard on the normal Joe it's can get a hold of us guys than faster than corn through a crow.

Senior Member Master in FishingTX
    Sounds like you have better than the average reasons to be concerned. There's still fish in Conroe and HOuston and flounder time will be here soon enough. Thanks for the reminder. 8)
    watching the skies...

Senior Member FishingTX Angler Supreme
    I've been a little worried myself. Haven't dipped a foot in the water in a couple of weeks. I hope this passes as fast as it came in. I read an article on this about two years ago and it scared me then. Now it's hitting closer to home. If you hear any more, please don't hesitate to post. Just heard about the second Galveston shark bite this year and I know those rays I let go are still laying around. Anybody thinking of throwing plastics from a boat?

Thin Water Tracker
    That the way I have to do it. I really I have only been in the water once this year in baffin. That was the main reason I got a boat the doc's told me not to wade. I mainly drift when working hardware and plaistc. I need to get one more drift sock with the high sides I have she moves a little to fast with one. It will be a month or two before I can gat after it but some of the best salt fishing is beween Sept. to Jan. if you know where to go. The main thin when working that stuff out of a boat is the LD's

Nine Lives
    Quote Originally Posted by Nine Lives
    Another guy went to the hospital two days after being infected. He ended up with an amputation.

Today newsman said they just amputated his second leg.

suppose to be another case wife works wiyh a manager that got it had surgery yesterday and another scheduled this week was vacationing last week galveston????????????? will let you know what i hear