Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 26

Thread: Updating Forum!

  1. #1
    Josh
    Guest

    Updating Forum!

    I'm about to begin updating the forum. It will more than likely take about an hour just to get the basic stuff up to date. During this, there will be no shoutbox, recent topics, or basically anything on the front page besides the forum. Also the "Local Weather" may or may not need to be fixed when I'm done. The attatchment mod will definatly need to be reinstalled so there is no need for trying to post pictures for the time being. The pictures should still be intact after reinstallation however. It would be best NOT to post anything during this update, not that it will cause damage to the forum; but your data may be lost during the update. Feel free to set back and watch the update in progess. When I'm done, i'll post a new topic here, or reply to this thread letting you know. Thank you..

    If you have any questions during this process, then send me a message through AOL or AIM at xXJockaXx

  2. #2
    Josh
    Guest
    since the board is active right now, I decided to give you all time to reply to posts or read your posts. It is now 11:00 am. At 11:30am I will begin updating, this should give you plenty of time. Thanx.

  3. #3
    Josh
    Guest
    no more posts should be made until the next reply to this thread. do not reply to this thread until I say that I am finished, or your post COULD be erased.

    UPDATE IN PROGRESS...

  4. #4
    Josh
    Guest
    OK SECURITY UPDATES DONE! Which means, feel freely to post. However, I still haven't put the attachment mod back on yet so you'll have to wait a little longer to look at, or post pics. All that's left for me to do is:
    Quick Reply
    Attachments
    Shoutbox
    Recent Topics
    Weather

    If i forgot anything, feel free to remind me.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Master in FishingTX
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Humble
    Posts
    646
    What is the logic on the Recent Topic feature. By selecting the Recent Topic option will we be able to see recent posts... if so, how far back does it go? Just curious... I've seen in other forums where that is an option.

    Also,

    Is there an option for example when you select a users profile, where it will show you if the user is online or offline, but will also show where in the forum they are located at the current time...

    And also that will show you where that select user is more active by showing a percentage or posts in that section of the forum... also something available on other forums.

    MODERATORS:

    While on the subject... I figured I would also make another suggestion. As a newbie to fishing, I'm frequently searching the various search engines such as google and yahoo for "Fishing How-To's". I'm always looking for ways to learn new things and learn how to make certain things. I think it would be an excellent idea to add a How-To's Topic section to the forum.

    I'm sure all the newbies like myself would greatly appreciate that, and would give the oportunity for everybody to learn things from eachother. I believe the moderators should come together and take the resposibility to post frequent How-To's such as How to build Flagging Jugs, How to build a rod holder, how to service your boat, how to catch crappie, catfish, how to fillet catfish/crappie, how to descale crappie, etc. but be very descriptive and add lots of pictures. Maybe you guys come up with a standard format for posting How-To's and cheryl could review/ modify and post in the How-To section. Just so that the posts are similar in formating and consistant. I might be asking for too much... but I figured I would give my .02 cents while we were in the process of whipping things in shape. I'm willing to help in that part as well. I plan on making things, and take pictures during the process so that I could share. I'm sure there are already lots of how-to's lost in the forums somewhere, and quite frankly, don't think they are getting the visualization that those helpful posts really deserve.

    What do you think?
    A bad day of fishing is better than a good day at the office!!!!

  6. #6
    Josh
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by algonzo
    What is the logic on the Recent Topic feature. By selecting the Recent Topic option will we be able to see recent posts... if so, how far back does it go? Just curious... I've seen in other forums where that is an option.
    Well, it's recent topics.. So it shows the last 10 most recent topics (the set default). However, it can be set to show more or less, and without the scrolling. I'm sure it can be coded so that not all users have to see it.

    Quote Originally Posted by algonzo
    Is there an option for example when you select a users profile, where it will show you if the user is online or offline, but will also show where in the forum they are located at the current time...

    And also that will show you where that select user is more active by showing a percentage or posts in that section of the forum... also something available on other forums.
    Saw all this on vbulletin, didn't you? lol Well, I'm sure this is possible, however it will take time and would be done after the other, basic mods were installed. I'll look into it though.

    Quote Originally Posted by algonzo
    While on the subject... I figured I would also make another suggestion. As a newbie to fishing, I'm frequently searching the various search engines such as google and yahoo for "Fishing How-To's". I'm always looking for ways to learn new things and learn how to make certain things. I think it would be an excellent idea to add a How-To's Topic section to the forum.

    I'm sure all the newbies like myself would greatly appreciate that, and would give the oportunity for everybody to learn things from eachother. I believe the moderators should come together and take the resposibility to post frequent How-To's such as How to build Flagging Jugs, How to build a rod holder, how to service your boat, how to catch crappie, catfish, how to fillet catfish/crappie, how to descale crappie, etc. but be very descriptive and add lots of pictures. Maybe you guys come up with a standard format for posting How-To's and cheryl could review/ modify and post in the How-To section. Just so that the posts are similar in formating and consistant. I might be asking for too much... but I figured I would give my .02 cents while we were in the process of whipping things in shape. I'm willing to help in that part as well. I plan on making things, and take pictures during the process so that I could share. I'm sure there are already lots of how-to's lost in the forums somewhere, and quite frankly, don't think they are getting the visualization that those helpful posts really deserve.

    What do you think?
    that's a good idea.. however, i just fix the forum when there's problems lol.. so i can't answer you

  7. #7
    Senior Administrator Master in FishingTX Gentleben's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Huffman,TX
    Posts
    21,343
    Are guests still allowed in this
    Make AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!!

  8. #8
    cherylrw
    Guest

    Guest

    Ben guest cant get on or see the forum at all..You have to sign in to view..But when he gets done with it all buttons logo etc. then Im thinking we should show the board but noone can post unless they are a member.

  9. #9
    Josh
    Guest
    However, I do plan to install this either tomorrow or ASAP. If any of the admins, mod's, or members can convince myself and the webmaster to install a knowledge base to place "How-To's" and such; then I will also install this. Of course I'd have to give credit for this idea to algonzo. 8)

    ::EDIT::
    ok quick reply was installed. since people seemed to enjoy the vbulletin chat room, i'll be looking for one that resembles it.

  10. #10
    cherylrw
    Guest
    THANKS JOSH LOOKS GREAT

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •