Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [ KB ] How to clean a catfish

Member Hooked on FishingTX
    The problem with cleaning fish is just the problem Algonzo and I had over the summer. We had caught 2 cats out in Lake Conroe (the only fish we've ever caught) and we didn't know how clean them or fillet them. A neighbor of his skinned them for us and filleted them. Which process is easier? Randy's process looks easier to me (and less messy), but I'd be scared to leave some food on the leftover skin after you flip it to remove it from the skin. Also, are there downsides to skinning them as oppose to Randy's process? As a newbie, I'd like to learn how to clean them so maybe me and Algonzo can get some practice out at the muster. Also, I'll see if Algonzo can take his dig camera so we can take pics during the skinning process so we can post that process as well. For that matter, maybe we can go ahead and use the camera to start working on some of the other how-to's. Like riggin up lines, baiting jugs, riggin jugs, etc. What does everyone think? I'll volunteer to type it all up and handle the posts and pics.

dpiper
    The larger problem is leaving skin on the meat. Skinning and fileting the catfish can be done very quick with a little pratice. Some like to filet through the rib cage but when fileting large numbers of fish it dulls your knife a lot faster.

The upcoming muster will give you and Algonzo plenty of practice to hone your fileting skills.

Hey, BigDave do you have a problem with letting the Gonzo brothers in on your fileting pleasures? :lol:
    Dpiper

Man, I can't wait! I've been looking forward to this all week!

Senior Member Master in FishingTX BIGDAVE's Avatar
    At the last muster we cleaned 60 fish for the fishfry. I expect we will have at least twice as many to feed this time. Yep.....I am sure the Gonzo brothers will have fish cleaning behind them after this muster. hee hee he
    IF You Don't Go, You Won't Know

Thin Water Tracker
    And they will learn the right way to clean and what too do with what is left. Plus a great way to fry them babys up.

I think me and Algonzo may be getting ourselves into something we might look back and say we shouldn't have volunteered, but I think that's gonna be the only way we're gonna learn.....trial & error. Thanks, gents!

Registerd user Master in FishingTX dwaynez's Avatar
    TeamGonzo

Just takes practice, the way I learned was with my dad, he showed me how to fillet when I was younger and he made sure I did it the right way. From then on it was easym, but to me it's fun, I like nice fillets so that I have a choice of grilling, frying or baking the fish.

You should be a pro after getting your hands nice and slimy. Just watch and learn and dive right in.
    Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
    -Mark Twain