Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: trout

Senior Member Master in FishingTX
    About how long would they last with this weather, and what does that do to the meat(Flavorwise) throughout the weeks/months?
    A bad day of fishing is better than a good day at the office!!!!

Registerd user Master in FishingTX dwaynez's Avatar
    TWT

I will have to try the small spinners, I cooked mine with some butter and lemon and crushed black pepper and cooked them on the grill, they turned out pretty good.

But nothing compares to some good ol catfish or crappie.
    Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
    -Mark Twain

I just got back from lunch with my wife, and I convinced her for us to go this weekend to Eyez-N-Hower Park and try to catch some trout. She seemed pretty excited when she read that article that I printed out and wants to take my son out there this weekend if the weather permits. She's working Saturday, so we'll be out there Sunday morning, bright and early. Anybody else going to be out there that day?

From what I remember about last year they are gone within a few months max, they only put a limited number in the ponds and they encourage everyone to catch their limit one day and come back the next and catch another limit.

If they are exposed to the heat and begin to get weak the meat would not be very good, but I am not sure on that just my experience with other fish. They would probably die off from the warm temps before it got to that point or the majority would be caught by anglers.
    Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
    -Mark Twain

mrmakAUCTIONEER
    yer taxi sevice pick up in ferris bro.? if so i will be der. may be in livingston this weekend? would like to get my kid inna boat before he heads back to collage.

I'll be out there Sunday, weather permitting. I might pick me up a light-medium action 6'+ spinning rod tonight. I'll be spooling it with some 8lb test line, and baiting a number 6, long shank bait holder with some Berkley Power bait, mealworms, nightcrawlers, corn, or small colorful party marshmellows two feet under a bobber casting it real slow. I've got my 7'medium action that I will respool with the 10lb test, and same rig setup, and my sons light-medium action the same way, while feeding the ducks crackers and bread.

One question? Is it limit 5 per person, or per group, or how does that work?

So from what I understood, there is no major hookset when landing these trouts right? Just let them take the bait, and give it a small hookset with the twitch of your wrist and reel it in slow.

Or what is the best way to set the hook and reel in these bad boys?

From what i have gathered it is a soft hookset from the wrist if you try and rear back on the hookset you will lose them.
    -Mark Twain

Good Luck Algonzo
    let us know how it goes with the trout fishing and post some pics if you get a chance.
    -Mark Twain

mrmakAUCTIONEER
    algonzo - ya five fish per person.
    nutter cheep rod and a real thriller fer trout is that telescoping thing 10 footer. plenty of flex on end of that one. small hits feel like major strikes,
    stikes gets yer blood preasure up. fish in the basket, gets ya grinnin, like cant wait to try dat again stuff.

Thin Water Tracker
    One other way we have used in the pass. Get one of those clear plastic floats you can add water to and some small flies use for fly fishing and use about a one to two foot leader and throw it out and reel it back in slowly. You can add water to the float if you need get it out far or if you having to thorw it under handed the add weight help a lot. You also don't have to use a rod set up with light line just make the leader out of lite line. 202 and 404 make good fresh water trout reels.