Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Flounder

Senior Member FishingTX Angler Supreme
    Ive lost more flounder at the side of my boat than all other fish combined. Then some wait till they're in the net before they fight. Crossing their eyes is definently needed to hookem good. My favorite thing about flounder is you can scale them with the waterhose. When eating just watch those fins cause they have about a million spines beneath the softer ones.

Registerd user Master in FishingTX dwaynez's Avatar
    TWT

Great Info on the hookset and the landing of the flounder, I have only fished for them one time but that was from the bank. They are one of the best eating fishes around in my opinion.
    Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
    -Mark Twain

I actually ate some flounder about 3 weeks ago, I tried a new resteraunt that had opened up and they offerred a stuffed flounder meal with a few sides as a special. It was pretty good, but the stuffing they used was not the best.

It is hard to beat a flounder that is cooked the right way.
    Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
    -Mark Twain

Has anyone tried the Frozen Flounder Fillets they sell at walmart and some of the other stores. I bought a box of them a while back and if you thaw them a day ahead of time and cook them in a skillet or grill them on the pit they have a great flavor, the box is like 3-4lbs of fillets and has about 6 fillets in the box.

Not as good as fresh fish, but not bad if you are unable to get your hands on some fresh flounder or if you don't wanna spend the money at a resteraunt.
    -Mark Twain

Senior Member Master in FishingTX
    Funny you mentioned that. I bought a box or them at Sam's about a month ago, and a box of Talapia fillets. I bought the big boxes though. like 12 to 15 fillets. I get a sheet of aluminum foil, lay down a bed of veggies, a couple of fillets, drizle some olive oil over the fillets, slice up some limes and oranges, and place the slices on top of the fillets, sprinkle some of that cajun seasoning, wrap that foil tight, and pop it in the oven for about 15 to 20 minutes...(still working on figuring out the exact time), and then take them out and leave them in the foil, still closed for about another five minutes, unwrap, and drop it next to some rice on the plate, and dinner is served.
    A bad day of fishing is better than a good day at the office!!!!

Thin Water Tracker
    Foil Pack was the way we would cook most of the fish when we camped down on PINS. Take a make a big foil pack. I would take one or two onions put them on bottom. Cut up three or four potatoes put them in on top of the onions. Then put in one of those packs of those baby carrots in on top of the potatoes. Then lay six or eight fish filets on top of it all, place a stick of butter on them. Then cover it with three or four chopped Texas Green beans for those that like it hot. Add a ¼ cup of water seal it leaving a vary small hole in the top middle. Place on camp stove with both burners on medium low. When you get a good strong flow of steam out of the small hole it ready.

TWT

Man that sounds good, I used to do something like that when camping down on the river with friends. Brings back some good memories and makes me hungry at the same time.
    -Mark Twain

Algonzo

The last few timesI hit Gibbons Creek I caught 4 or 5 Talapia each time they were all in the 1-2lb range. They hang around the dock where I catch my shad and perch and half the time you will pull a bunch of them in with the casting net or hook into a few while catching perch for bait.

I tried some Talapia at a local resteraunt a while back with a mango citrus pico sauce man it was good . The Talapia was spicy and the mango, onions, tomatos, cilantro, jalapenos, was great on top of the fish. Served on a bed of spicy rice.
    -Mark Twain

Senior Member Master in FishingTX
    Thats the why I like my Talapia, sweet, citrusy, and real spicy. Slicing up them oranges and limes and laying them over the top when baking them adds a real good citrusy flavor to it. I'm gonna have to catch me some talapia some day and see what freshly caught talapia tastes like.
    A bad day of fishing is better than a good day at the office!!!!

Algonzo
    Next Time I am at Gibbons I will keep the ones I catch and throw them in the freezer for you.
    -Mark Twain