Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Flounder

Senior Member Master in FishingTX

Flounder

What about flounder. I've always loved to eat flounder. I'll go down to Pappa's Sea Food and get me a a nice stuffed flounder platter for like $25.00, with some rice pilaf, and a vegetable medley, topped with a creamy shrimp and crawfish sauce, and a tad bit of Tabasco sauce and finally sprinkled with some nice cajun seasoning and salt.

I get a stiffy every time I go down to Academy and see them pictures of the them boys holding them stringers full of flounders.

That's also on my "To-Do" list this year.

Can you guys tell me a bit about Flounder and whats a good spot around the Houston/Galveston area to go to?
    A bad day of fishing is better than a good day at the office!!!!

Registerd user Master in FishingTX dwaynez's Avatar
    I am right there with you Algonzo love to eat some flounder, the best I ever had was on a trip to Galveston at Pier 19 Resteraunt, that was some good eating.

I have only fished for flounder once but I loved it and want to go again sometime.
    Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
    -Mark Twain

Senior Member Master in FishingTX waterspout's Avatar
    There are still some flatties around they never all leave the bay. Seawolf would still be good I'd guess.

Cut the head off that flounder, fillet the bone out By cutting down the rib cage on one side and the cut the bone out. Fillet all around it as tight as possible and pull the backbone and ribs out.leaving the fish in one piece. Now take that suka and put you some DJ's Booo-dan(can be found at Kroger) in dar and slide it off in the oven a bake it. You won't need Pappa's no mo! You can put u sum cream suase if ya want.
    The fish are in the water!

Quote Originally Posted by waterspout
    There are still some flatties around they never all leave the bay. Seawolf would still be good I'd guess and the dike. I fish from a boat.

Cut the head off that flounder, fillet the bone out By cutting down the rib cage on one side and the cut the bone out. Fillet all around it as tight as possible and pull the backbone and ribs out.leaving the fish in one piece. Now take that suka and put you some DJ's Booo-dan(can be found at Kroger) in dar and slide it off in the oven a bake it. You won't need Pappa's no mo! You can put u sum cream suase if ya want.

That was suppose to be edit not quote.eeeeeeeerrrrrr!

Senior Member Master in FishingTX
    Some Boo-dan sounds real good about now too. Bu-dan with tabasco sauce and crackers, and I'll be set.

Every year I have a crawfish boil at my house for my wifes birthday at the end of march. Right when them crawfish start coming in big. I usually boil about 40 to 60 pounds with some corn, whole small red potatoes, and eggs. When them craw-daddys is ready pull it all out peel the eggs and let them soak in that spicy water for a few more minutes to pick up some flavor.
    A bad day of fishing is better than a good day at the office!!!!

I plan on having a crawdfish boil myself in the near future, but first I will make a huge pot of chili. The last time I made a 30qt pot and slow cooked it outside all day long and it was the best, if I have to cook inside I slow cook it for about 10 hours or so and it has the best flavor.
    Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
    -Mark Twain

Thin Water Tracker
    Spuot is right you can still hok up with some at wolf. The weather never did drop and hold cool temps. there always are some around. Once spring works it's way around bay marsh and old pier piling are your best places to look for them. Shell and rock will hold them. Normal if tyou find a area that's holding them there will always be some in that area most of the summer and fall til they start their run for the gulf in late fall. Some of the best eating fish you'll ever lay a lip on. They are a blast on R&R and the best way to put it on how to fish them is slowwww when using live bait. They will hit plastic and spoon. the main this is keep you bait on or close to the bottom. Fin fish are just about the best bait Mullet and black saltys being the top baits but they will hit shrimp. in my book they are the best eacting saltwater fish to put on a plate.

TWT

I have a few flounder lures I picked up when I was in Galveston a while back called flounder pounders or something like that they basically are a large tailed grub with a heavy jig head that is made of a heavy grade plastic almost like cutting board material so it is resistant the the abrassive rocks.

I use it for bass and have great success with it, There is also another one just like it but ti has a treble hook attached to the jig head, kind of a cream white white a chartreuse tint on the tail.
    -Mark Twain

Thin Water Tracker
    They are good ones to use, They stopped making them a few years back but someone started back up production on them last year. A good Coon A$$ trick is tip all plistic with dead shrimp and they will hold on to it longer and give you time to set the hook. That were most people fail when flounder fishing they don't get a good hook set and lose the fish at the boat. When using bait I give them a little free spool and let them move off with the bait for a about45sec. to a min. then cross their eyes. They are the ture master at thorwing a hook so you never want to give them slack or you'll pull in a empty hook. And Always use a net I've had more than I can count spit to hook once in the net and the line is slack. Beside it's like trying to hold on to a greased pig. If you don't get in the gills your not going to be able to hold on.