Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: BOATER DIES ON LAKE HOUSTON

Registerd user Master in FishingTX dwaynez's Avatar
    Cheryl

You did something very important that day that a lot of us forget about doing you knew where Mark was going and you knew after not hearing from him something was wrong. It is vital to tell someone else where you will be while on the water and what time you expect to be back in. In the event of an accident like the one Mark had someone will come looking for you. It is something we all overlook but in the event of an accident it could be the one thing that saves your life.
    Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
    -Mark Twain

cherylrw
    You know thats funny dwaynez because he NEVER takes my cell with him,I always know where he is going though.Funny with Mark that day he had my cell,so I knew he was in trouble,when he was in Kuwait he called me everyday at noon on his cell,one day he didnt call and at 1pm I KNEW HE WAS HURT..I called that phone for 8 hours finally he answered it couldnt really talk,he had been burned very badly and his face was swollen,I immediately called his employer and began to YELL!! because I was not notified of his accident ,it then took me calling the red cross to find him over there because I couldnt get him on his phone again and nobody seemed to know anything.It took me 3 days,he had been flown to Germany I talked to a Dr there came unglued and started looking for a charter plane to get him to Dallas.Turns out the company paid for the chartered plane and private Dr.it took to get him here to Parkland burn center.He had 3rd and 4th degree burns that were NOW infected and had to undergo a LOT of painful scraping and eventually graphs. I LOVE CELL PHONES LOL...Sorry I got carried away

Senior Member Master in FishingTX CajunDan's Avatar
    I tell my wife everytime I go, every place I go, and what time I'll be home. If I'm not home by the specified time she is calling me.

If I don't answer she comes looking. If she can't find me she calls Dad and he comes with the boat and finds me on the water. She couldn't get me one time on the phone and called my Dad. He found me and I went in for new cell phone batteries.
    Phish On!

cherylrw
    LOL ...sounds like us ..But its better safe than sorry right..

Cell phones are very good in an emergency situation, That had to be very tuff on you to not know his condition. That is one thing that scares me the most when a friend or loved one travels over seas it is hard t maintain contact with them and there is a constant worry.

It sounds like he was able to get the proper treatment he needed and glad to see the company stepped up and provided the dr and charter plane to get him home.

Someone was looking out for both of you the day of his boating accident for sure, that is strange that the one day he borrowed your phone is the day an accident happened. Makes you really step back and think about the power of prayer and the protection that the Lord can provide.
    Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
    -Mark Twain

CajunDan

My wife is the same way we go fishing together a lot but I always let my parents or someone else know where I am going and when I plan on being back. My dad has always been very protective and he worries even to this day, now that I am married he has one more person to worry about and that is my wife and when we eventually have children I know for a fact he will be a over protective grandparent.

It is a good thing when you really think about it because his worrying is a sign of how much he loves his family and will do anything to protect it.
    -Mark Twain

cherylrw
    Yes it does and you are so right ..He was scared to death and mad as all get out about the boat ,when the nice fisherman got him to the bank lol he said HONEY Im sorry I lost your cell phone ..I started bawling and said is that what you think Im worried about? LOL..I told him you do realize this was Gods work right? And it was Gods work in Kuwait also ..Mark had already set up to come home and was supposed to leave on a plane the next day..He had been praying about it ,then he had second thoughts on staying and I belive God made it where he had to come home,this was just a few weeks before the war actually broke out. And actually in Germany they had nothing, no way to take care of his burns,they just kept them clean and bandaged everyday til he could get stable enough to get back in the states..He swore he would not go back overseas BUT WHERE IS HE NOW? I dont argue with him about it though,I just say whatever you wanna do honey Im not wasting my breathe to try and change your mind LOL

I will pray for his safety, that is a tough place to be for both of you. My Neighbor who is a policy officer is considering taking a private security job in Iraq. The money is very good and he can take time off from the department if he accepts the job. Only thing is he has A wife an 6 year old son, and twin daughters who are only 1 year old.

He is having a hard time with it because the amount of money he would make for being over there for 1 year would help them out a lot, but there are a lot of risks involved. He is a former Marine and currently a Police Officer. I have talked to him about it and we have told him if he goes we will do whatever we can to help out his wife and kids while he is gone. I think he is going to make his decision pretty soon.
    -Mark Twain

cherylrw
    Mark is in what they call THE GREEN ZONE he feels perfectly safe there.And I bet I know what your friends wife is thinking.Tara was 1 week old when Mark left,I was thinking geezzzz I already raised 3 boys got em grown by myself I did NOT know I would be raising another child by myself lol..It was scary at first for me now I have trained myself into thinking he is just on a longgggg vacation LOL

She is worried and does not say much when we talk, she knows it will be tough but she has her parents about 20 minutes away as well as lots of friends and family nearby so she will have a strong support staff.

Glad to hear he is in a safe area, it has to be a comfort to you to know he feels safe where he is at. I will continue to pray for him and all of our service men and women over seas, tough times for all involved but we are a strong country and we will prevail
    -Mark Twain