Thread: Laid offs! Why?

Layton

Laid offs! Why?

On what grounds does a person that has just been laid off :chop::chop:have? And If given the chance to work in a different part of the store. Can the company reduce his/her pay? And if that person files for unemployment and the Texas work force writes or calls the company to see if the person filing the claim has been laid off and and they ask if that person was given the chance to work in a different part of the store and that person says that the ccompany never offered....... his word.......there word. who gets the final say in this?

Administrator Master in FishingTX vett0111's Avatar
    Layton
    If a person gets laid off and goes to get Unemployment. The Texas work force will contact the former employer. To see if they were laid off, fired or left on there own. It depends on the company in question. Some fight it and some don't. Texas work force does work for the person that is filling the claim. The company has to prove it's case to the Texas work force. If the company offers to move an employee to another dept with cut in pay instead of a lay off I don't know what Texas work force will say. Again depends on company and what paper work they have former employee sign. Texas work force has the final say. But the company as well as former employee can appeal the decision and ask for a hearing on the case. Large Companies some time don't fight it. But it depends on the company. I don't know the laws of unemployment but I have been in Management for years. I have fought many a battle with Texas workforce commision. Mostly when someone gets fired and file unemployment on us. I keep good records and keep all paperwork on my employees. I as any HR Dept in a company have a job to do. I have to act on the best intrest of the company.
    Lay offs are a bad deal. Those are not easy. For the most part most companies work with employees when lay offs are being made. I don't know if this helps but it is what I have seen and have had to do during my years of being a manager where I work.

Administrator Master in FishingTX Gentleben's Avatar
    LAyton company has the last word ,

http://www.ehow.com/how_4664737_avoi...aign=yssp_art#

Texas is a Right to work state..

gator gar
    If you are not satisfied.......Appeal the process. If you loose, appeal again. It isn't a big deal. From what I have seen and heard, about the second appeal and you will win. It isn't hard to do, just time consuming. Then again, the whole TWC is time consuming when first getting started.

Once everything gets going, you get a check every two weeks. Once that certain amount of money that is available to draw, runs out. The federal stimulas will kick in, until the following Sept. when you are required to re-file your claim. If approved, (and you will be). You will draw off another lump of money and the federal money will end, until you deplete that lump of money.

Once that amount is depleted, then the balance of what you had left in the federal stimulas money will kick back in, as soon as you file for the extension. You won't even miss a check.

The only pause in your money, is when you first start your benefits, it takes about a month before you get your first check and two weeks later you get 3 checks. They hold one back, for some odd reason. Then it will be like clock work. Every two weeks, until you have to file for regular benefits again. When the federal money kicks in, it doesn't miss a beat.

The maximum amount in Texas, is 397 a week. One third of what I used to make on 40 hours. I have been drawing un-employment benefits for 6 long months. It is deffinately a humbling experience. You realize, just exactly what you need and what you want and you know the difference.

There is plenty of time for fishing and catching up on the chores around the house. You will get to see a whole lot more of your family and pets too. So, in my opinion, it isn't all a bad experience. Alot of lessons have been learned. Especially how to manage what money you already had and what money you have coming in.

Like I said, Humbling, but not the end of the line, by far. Texas is a right to work state. The employer can do just about what they like to you and there isn't a whole lot you can do, but go file for un-employment and wait for the economy to pick back up. Good luck and don't get discouraged. If there is a will, there is a way.

gator gar
    Quote Originally Posted by Layton View Post
    On what grounds does a person that has just been laid off :chop::chop:have? And If given the chance to work in a different part of the store. Can the company reduce his/her pay? And if that person files for unemployment and the Texas work force writes or calls the company to see if the person filing the claim has been laid off and and they ask if that person was given the chance to work in a different part of the store and that person says that the ccompany never offered....... his word.......there word. who gets the final say in this?
    I got on a rant about the whole process earlier. To answer your question. The company can do pretty much what it wants to. From laying you off, to reducing your pay. Unless you are in a Union, you don't have any protection,what so ever. The company has the right to do what it feels is right to protect the bottom line.

I have watched the whole Nepotism thing unfold in my old company. The foremans and superintendants have their whole sorry azz family in there now. The people that were brought back were kin folk, deer lease buddies and immediate friends of the family. There is nothing that can be done about it, either. Just sit back a watch it unfold.

There are alot of injutices in life, just keep a positive attitude and make the best of it.

Senior Member Master in FishingTX gator's Avatar
    hey i just talked to layton and he was not laid off but one of his fellow employees was. he feels guy got the dirty end of the stick. lets keep this guy in our prayers along with all those looking for work.
    Give me a sense of humor, Lord;
    Give me the grace to see a joke,
    To get some humor out of life,
    And pass it on to other folk.
    Amen!

c dubya
    Did one of the mechanics get let go Layton?

Senior Member Master in FishingTX
    I have never been laid off, but several of my freinds have. None of them really understood what their choices were. The info in this thread is very helpful.

Thanks.

Layton

yep

Quote Originally Posted by c dubya View Post
    Did one of the mechanics get let go Layton?
    Yep it was Jeff. They said not enough service work was comming in.

Most Famous Fishing Guide in Texas Master in FishingTX jackiekennedyfishingguide.com's Avatar
    In these hard times I reflect back to the words of Honest Abe Lincoln.
    "and this too shall pass"
    Jackie Kennedy
    Jackie Kennedy Fishing Guide

Full time fishing guide
    903-603-3793

Clients and I have caught 8 state and 18 water body records. The latest was a blue cat from Cedar Creek Lake on Christmas Day 2014 going 64.8# One of thirty-six TPWD Elite Anglers

www.jackiekennedyfishingguide.com