Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gentleben

Senior Member Master in FishingTX JonW's Avatar

Gentleben

Didn't get your message til this morning. My phone was in the truck and me and Mama (and the girl) were watching Without a Paddle. Did you even have to ask?????? :lol:

Caught 25 more perch this morning on rod-n-reel before breakfast. How many do you want?
    Catfish...the other white meat.

Registerd user Master in FishingTX dwaynez's Avatar
    Nice catch
    Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
    -Mark Twain

Fixing to go hit another pond. I've been throwing anything over about 4" back, but still ended up with 27 bait size this morning.

Cool

Good bait for those big flats, I have pretty good luck R&R fishing with large perch for blues as well.
    Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
    -Mark Twain

Dwayne,
    How big can you use them for bait? Should I keep them over 4" or so?

I have used them up to 6 or 8 inches when fishing for flatheads, when going for blues I will go up to 4 or 5 inches, but the optimal size is a perch in the 3 inch range. They really seem to bring in the cats.

Also if the Gar are around they seem to love them as well. I will take a few pictures of my setup on R&R and post them later tonight or tomorrow for you to see.

Also if they are really large you can make cutbait as well, blues seem to hit cutbait as well, A large perch can be cut into 3 or sometimes 4 sections. The head is one section the middle is 1 or 2 sections and the tail is the final section.
    -Mark Twain

Thanks, dwayne!

You're good people.

Senior Member Master in FishingTX BIGDAVE's Avatar
    Hey,.. JonW keep them big perch for me! You don't have to feed them to the big flatheads. I like eatin them too. HeeHe LOL
    IF You Don't Go, You Won't Know

They are good eatin'! I had my pond drained an dug out back in the fall. It filled up before they could finish it, so I haven't restocked it yet.

If I wasn't fishing out of my neighbors pond I'd be eating perch for supper tonite!

I told him I'd leave the big ones since his pond seems so overpopulated.