Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need recommendations for Salt Water Tip

Registerd user Master in FishingTX dwaynez's Avatar
    Checked out Cpt Elliots site again, it looks pretty good as well and not as long of a drive, I appreciate all the recommendations so far, keep em coming my way.
    Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
    -Mark Twain

Thin Water Tracker
    D the port is were I got the trout I'm holding in a vitar it was a trip we made down there last year. It a good area to do more than fishing so if you were going to make a weekend of it there something for everyone.

dpiper
    If your going to make a mini vacation out of it check this place out. I've never stayed here but would like to.

Wildhorse Lodge

Piper

Thanks for the link, looks like a really nice place to stay.
    Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
    -Mark Twain

TWT

From what I have seen so far Port Isabel looks really nice, I have never fished there before, my only salt water trip was out of Galveston. The guide service I am thinking about is Dolphin Docks, looks like a good company and good people. I talked to them on the one already and they were very friendly and told me the snapper would be plentiful in June.
    -Mark Twain

Senior Member FishingTX Angler Supreme
    Not sure of the best offshore boat but i do recomend getting a cast net. Then head down here and load up on fresh piggies, sand trout and/or mullets. Keep them on ice and leave the cut squid for the other squids to fish with. I know of quite a few folks that enjoyed Capt. Elliot. I do know the Bucaneer out of Galveston makes you leave your snappers on the deck all day long in the sun. I didnt think this was cool. I'd check on freezers or allowed coolers before forking over the cash.

michael dill
    Thats the good thing about Elliots, they allow Ice chest with food and drink where as others may not. Also they issue bags to tie off to the rail for your catch and keep them iced down for you. Anything big they throw in the saline frezzer and tag for you.

One suggestion for bait when you go is get some fresh ribbon fish and a few kingfish leaders and hang on! Last year when me and my son went he caught a 47" king i cast to with the ribbon fish and handed him the rod, the king just about jerked him overboard when he hit it, that and I lost a 40+# class wahoo that broke my line and my heart.

minner skinner

I went aboard the bucaneer in the past and they did the same thing with the fish on the deck, most of the others i have seen welcome coolers or at least provide a cooler with ice.
    -Mark Twain

michael

thanks for the info, we are looking at Elliots pretty closely as well, not quite as long of a drive as the dolphin docks charter ( 400 miles ) compared to 168 to go out with cpt elliot.
    -Mark Twain