Thread: Unruly 5 year old handcuffed,,,

Bilbo

Unruly 5 year old handcuffed,,,

I saw on the news the a 5 year old in St. Petersburg Florida was sent to the Assistant Principles office for her behaivor. This child would not listen,
    she jumped up on the table several times, she pulled paperwork off the bulletin board, she slapped the Assistant Principle, she screamed, she pushed, and she even balled up her fist. The school called the local police, to no avail the girl would not settle down, the finally put her in handcuffs and then they used leg cuffs because she was kicking. Now the mother has hired a lawyer to sue the school.

Your Thoughts?

dpiper
    I was on the mother's side untill I saw the video. The little girl had full control over her behavior. She was purposely acting like a banchie (sp). Not only should the little girl of been cuffed but the mother need charges brought against her for child neglect. This goes way beyond poor parenting skills.

Please don't comment until you see the video. It will change your mind.

Senior Member Master in FishingTX
    That's why her mom hired a laywer, "cause it's not the child's fault"! I get so sick of hearing that **** it's unreal. Sometimes I feel sorry for my kids cause they're taught that they are accountable for their actions and most of their friends and the rest of society now days are not. I'll teach my kids the best I can and let God sort them out!
    watching the skies...

Bilbo
    My parents would need a lawyer nowadays if this had been me acting like this. They would need a lawyer for the case with Child Protective Services, because my dad would got a hold of me and I would not have been able to walk for two days let alone go back to school!

Thin Water Tracker
    The problem with lot of kid today is they are raised by other people because both mom and dad work. It's the mom and dad are to blame of the way thier kids act. they only spend a few hours a day with them if that. It's a shame that the world we live in that both mom and dad have to work to get ahead. The kids are the one that end up paying in the long run. Now in this case the school system is going to pay because someone kid can not be controlled. I wouldn't would have been able to set for a week or two. There are two many people out there trying to be there kids friends and not their parents. I'll get off my soap box now.

Senior Member Master in FishingTX
    I agree with Dpiper... when I first heard the headlines on this I thought it was rediculous to cuff a 5 year old girl.

But when I saw the video.... I figured that the little girl was lucky that she didn't live in Houston because I swear she would have been zapped with them new tazer guns HPD carries.

I'm also with you on that one Don... Both my wife and work fulltime to maintain the lifestyle that we chose with big houses and fancy cars and the luxuries that we have... and it's true, we only spend a few hours a day with our kids, and it's either the teachers or the baby sitters that spend most of the days with them.

That doesn't mean that as a parent you shouldn't have to worry about teaching your kids what's right from wrong.... that just means that you have to work twice as hard at it. Which reminds me of a famous quote I once read...

You have a lifetime to work, but children are only young once. ~Polish Proverb

And I agree.... too many people spend too much time trying to be their kids friends and not parents... and those are the ones that run all over them and display it at school.

I've always told my son that I'm his parent before being his friend, and luckily enough I actually receive lots of comments from his teachers about how respectful and well mannered he is at school.

And trust me... I was a 17 year old punk, raised in the lower class part of North Side Houston when I had my son, and I managed to get ahead in life and raise a respectful and well mannered young man....

Here are a few parenting quotes that I like to often read and keep me on my toes:

If I had my child to raise all over again,
    I'd build self-esteem first, and the house later.
    I'd finger-paint more, and point the finger less.
    I would do less correcting and more connecting.
    I'd take my eyes off my watch, and watch with my eyes.
    I'd take more hikes and fly more kites.
    I'd stop playing serious, and seriously play.
    I would run through more fields and gaze at more stars.
    I'd do more hugging and less tugging.
    ~Diane Loomans, from "If I Had My Child To Raise Over Again"

Good, honest, hardheaded character is a function of the home. If the proper seed is sown there and properly nourished for a few years, it will not be easy for that plant to be uprooted. ~George A. Dorsey

It's not only children who grow. Parents do too. As much as we watch to see what our children do with their lives, they are watching us to see what we do with ours. I can't tell my children to reach for the sun. All I can do is reach for it, myself. ~Joyce Maynard

To bring up a child in the way he should go, travel that way yourself once in a while. ~Josh Billings

Whenever I held my newborn baby in my arms, I used to think that what I said and did to him could have an influence not only on him but on all whom he met, not only for a day or a month or a year, but for all eternity - a very challenging and exciting thought for a mother. ~Rose Kennedy

OK... now I'm off my soapbox too... touchy subject for me.
    A bad day of fishing is better than a good day at the office!!!!

Administrator Master in FishingTX Gentleben's Avatar
    I beleive if you spare the rod you spoil the child, which appeared to be the case in this one. Almost like she had some kind ah demon working in and through her.
    Some one said it right kids today are not raised by their parents and grow up very unruley and eventually wind up in prison where the authorities can get control of them.
    18 months in TDC taught me alot about people and their behavioural patterns.
    Most inmates incarcirated had a few things in common , they came from a single parent dwelling and were poor.
    Kids grow up without God in their lifes and the devil gets ahold of them and those are the results,no more no less.
    Proverbs 13;24 states that he that spares the rod hates his child...........
    my daddy must ah loved me greatly causin he never spared the rod :cry:

michael dill
    I am a firm believer in the "spare the rod spoil the child" belief. I am fourtunate enough to be blessed with a very well mannered young man for a son ( 8 ) about to be nine. I never once have had a disipline issue with him, Why? Because I put the fear of God in him from a very early age and stand behind my word when it comes to rules and expectations, An art lost amongsest most parents now days.
    I also dont believe it takes both parents to work to provide for a family, its a choice to do so, so that you can live the life you choose...I.E. big house , new cars and generaly keepping up with the Jones's. Its one of the major factors for the decline in our society.
    In the case of this little girl I think its sad that a child feels like they have the right or need to act out in that manner for the attention or pseudo love that comes with it, But in no way was using that form of physical restraint necessary. There are just to many other options available esspecially when its obvious that the child is in mental/emotional turmoil. Children in that state have greater issues than a lack of disipline or parental care.
    More than likely there are some serious issues going on at home yet to be seen and I can assure you most of the fault lyes with the parents. Children like this need to be in your prayers not in your judgement, just my opinion.

Senior Member Master in FishingTX JonW's Avatar
    Great posts, all.

Sounds like that's a five-year-old that rules that house. I can't stand to see a grown woman (or man) argue with a three, four, or five-year-old like they're another adult.

We make a few sacrifices so that my wife doesn't have to work, and I promise it's the best feeling in the world to have her raising our little girl (and hopefully more in the future). Most people I know (even some of my own realatives) rely on schools, church, and grandparents to raise their kids. Guess where the blame goes when the kids turn out to be brats...I think too many people's priorities are on keeping up with everybody else, but I won't go any further than that.

All I can say is that we are VERY happy with the choices we've made.
    Catfish...the other white meat.