Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 250 lb deer and 2005 Nissan Maxima's don't mix good...

Senior Member Master in FishingTX

250 lb deer and 2005 Nissan Maxima's don't mix good...

Well this is how the story starts...

My wife, 6 yr old, and 6 WEEK old, and I, were leaving Teamgonzo's house at around 10:30 PM Tuesday (March 22nd). We were traveling East bound down FM 1960 right by the new Walmart in Humble, going towards Lake Houston, which takes me right to my house. We were about 1 mile down 1960, when all of a sudden my wife and I see a brown thing about 3 feet in front of the car, and in less than half a second, we expereinced what is the worse thing that we have ever experienced in our lives. All we remember is driving down 1960 at around 65 mph, and seeing a brown thing jump in front of us, and then the car exploded, hood flipped over the windshield, car filled up with the nastiest, smoke/gas from both air bags deploying, and both my wife and I were dazed from the impact. She couldn't see anything for the next few seconds, but managed to pull into the middle turning lane. My wife and I are screaming and panicing, my 6 year old had no clue what happened, for all he knew we were in a bad car accident, and my 6 week old, was screaming and crying his lungs out. At that point my 6 year old jumps out of the car thinking that the car was on fire or something because of the loud explosion and all the gas/ smoke inside the car. Well he ends up jumping out of the car, in the middle of 1960 where there are cars flying at about 80 mph about 3 feet away from him on both sides. I imediately jumped out of the car, to get him before he ended up just like that deer; then my wife managed to gain concience, and got out of the car. She grabbed my 6 year old, and I hurried to get the newborn, as he was sitting in the car still screaming and crying his lungs off, and inhaling that nasty smoke/gas from the airbags. I got the baby out, and we are standing in the middle of the road, with both cell phones dead, and no cars stopping. My wife managed to power her phone on for a few seconds, and called Teamgonzo to hurry up and come get the kids from the accident. After about 10 minutes of standing there, Teamgonzo showed up, and right behind him was a sheriff. We got the kids to safety, and were able to inspect the damage.

It turns out that the deer might have totalled the car. The entire front end of the car is wasted, and the dash, windshield, hood, airbags, doors, fenders, engine components, etc. need to be replaced. I talked the the dealership that is going to perform the work, and he said that there is a possibility that this car is totalled.

Thank god everybody is OK now, and nobody got hurt, well except for the deer. We're just all a little sore, and my wife got a few burns from the airbag. The situation could have been a lot worse, and I probably wouldn't be here telling this story right now.

I've got some 35mm pictures that I took of what's left of the deer and car, and I'll scan and post them tonight.

Thank god for full coverage insurance....
    A bad day of fishing is better than a good day at the office!!!!

Senior Member FishingTX Angler Supreme flatcats's Avatar
    I, (we're) all glad that you and your family are safe and sound after such a horrific accident. That could have so easily resulted in a tragedy during the crash or shortly afterwards in the oncoming traffic.
    Airbags or not, God himself watched over you and your family! And who cares about that car, just as long as you're all safe and sound buddy!
    I'm not a sportsman, I'm a fisherman. There's a difference.

Senior Member Master in FishingTX tylerdan's Avatar
    Glad everyone is OK and hope you get a good resolution on the car. While living in Austin for 30 years, we had three encounters with Texas Hill Country deer. They usually don't give you a chance to miss them-just suddenly leap right in front of your vehicle. We were fortunate that none were as bad as your experience.

Senior Member Master in FishingTX waterspout's Avatar
    Wow, glad everyone was ok!
    That is one crazy road, people fly at ground level there way to much. Deer aren't the smartest animals unless its hunting season either.
    The fish are in the water!

Thank you guys... and yes we're all glad that everyone is ok!

Waterspout, you are sooooo right. These ignorant deer will throw themselves infront of cars and trucks when it's not deer season, but when it's deer season they're nowhere to be found..... GO-FIGURE!!!!!

I told my wife I'm gonna bring her a nice fat doe next season just to release our anger.

Registerd user Master in FishingTX dwaynez's Avatar
    Algonzo

Sorry to hear about your accident, Glad everyone is okay, those airbags can be pretty nasty, but they do help during a crash. Pretty scary description of being in the middle of all of that traffic and no one stopping to help.
    Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
    -Mark Twain

SIG70
    Hey Albert,sure Glad the familys fine. with all the consutrction going on here the deer are everywhere and have no place to go,yet these things happen alot,TPW needs to LET people thin the heard in some of these smaller sections of land that surround Humble Kingwood area..

What I don't understand is why doesn't TPWD go to these heavily constructed areas and set traps for these deer, and release them into the wild. They should know that if you knock down dozens of acres to build a neighborhood, there is going to be deer with no homes... I don't know... just my thought..

Registerd user Master in FishingTX dwaynez's Avatar
    Algonzo

I could'nt agree more
    Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
    -Mark Twain

Barbiez
    HI GOD WAS WATCHING OUT FOR ALL YOU HE IS ALWAYS THERE GLADE YOU ALL ARE ALL RIGHT BARBIE DWAYNES WIFE