Thread: Joining the ranks of the retired guys

Uncle Doug

Joining the ranks of the retired guys

Looks like I will be joining the ranks of the retired guys soon. I have been on light duty at work for the past year after another hernia (#6) surgery. The company Doc does not want to take a risk for an on the job injury so it looks like they are going to offer me a medical retirement. The pay is actually a little better than a normal early retirement at my age (54). I can still opt for the normal full retirement at age 60 which should give me a pay raise.

Looks like I will have more time to go fishing now.

Senior Member Master in FishingTX Snapshot's Avatar
    Welcome aboard Uncle Doug, you will find that you have less time to fish than you think you might. Seems like all those little things we put off surface very quickly when we retire. Health insurnace is a big thing to work out before you do retire. Will your company continue to carry and your family? Don't wait as it will only get worse.

However, if ya need to get out on the waters, I am pretty much available with just a little notice. There are a couple places south of Dayton I want to hit buy never have time or don't want to fish alone.
    ***** FISH ONLY BITE WET HOOKS *****

Uncle Doug
    From what I understand from the benefits folks is that I can keep my current health insurance for my family. They will require me to apply for Social Security disability and will even hire someone to help with that process. Being approved for SSD is not required to continue the company disability but if approved will change things somewhat. I would switch to medicade/medicare but my wife will still keep her health insurance.

As far as fishing south of Dayton there is Day lake and Champion lake both which are very low now. I live near the Champion lake area and last time I drove out there there was very little water other than the Picketts bayou side. The south Trinity river I have been out on a couple of times with my pontoon boat but I hear they are keeping the locks closed to slow the salt water up the river. Last trip we had a bad cross wind and had lots of trouble putting the boat back on the trailer so another hand on a rope comes in handy. Hopefully it will cool off a little soon and start getting some fall rains.

Senior Member Master in FishingTX muleherder's Avatar
    Congratulations. x2 on the available free time. I'm semi-retired and haven't really capitalized on the extra time away from work like I hoped. My financial and social director has me committed to all the **stuff** I put off over the years.

I'm certain you won't regret the move. Follow your tagline.
    FishMaster 192
    Suzuki DF 115

My Stress Relievers

Senior Member FishingTX Angler Supreme MicroSoft's Avatar
    Simple facts ;
    When you are working you have the money but never find the time to do the things you want to;
    then when you retire you have the time
    but money is scarce .
    I have retired twice but now I will work until I get laid to rest at the alter; in a casket.
    America, Love it or leave it!!

Senior Member FishingTX Skilled Angler eviesue'sdaddy's Avatar
    i might very well be the youngest guy to reply to this thread, but my father always told me to work to live, not live to work. if you put it in god's hands, he will watch over you and your family. i will tell you that i have another 20 years minimum until i am even eligible to retire and i am counting the days. i have so many hobbies and things that i want to do that i can hardly wait. also, spending more time with your family can't be too bad! i will say a prayer for you.