Thread: Doing something different this summer

Senior Member Master in FishingTX tylerdan's Avatar

Doing something different this summer

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As fishermen, we want to fish as much as possible. It doesn’t matter if it’s late July and a hundred degrees outside, we head for the lake. Between trips we dream and plan the next one. We are just like a real life line from the theme song of the Hank Parker fishing show—the grass may need mowing and the roof may have a leak, but we are gone fishing or we are thinking about it. When I was working summers during college for a plumber, he once told me that he often pondered which was the worse—skipping church to go fishing of sitting in church daydreaming about being fishing.

As fishermen, I fear our life is not balanced. Sometimes, I think we get too focused on going fishing that we fail to look for other interesting activities. Life must hold interests in other areas—there are just too many non-fisherman who claim to be leading interesting and fulfilling lives.

I thought I would try something different this year. Why spend August on the lake getting sweaty and sunburned when I can sit at home in the air conditioning? Why spend all that gas money running up and down the lake? Why have to clean fish and clean the boat? Surely there is something else I can do!

I stared looking in other areas of my life and exploring other interests. You might say that I stuck my nose into places that it doesn’t usually go. I looked long and hard at alternatives and finally found it! Here it is--

No, it is not a nose job. But I did get my septum rebuilt, sinus openings enlarged, and internal sinuses rotor-rooted to remove the tissues that had grown inside of them. All of this is secondary to an old injury that caused cartilage to grow over one of my sinus openings. The resulting chronic sinus infections caused the sinuses to fill with soft tissue. The doc says that this will make me normal again—at least where the sinuses are concerned! Unfortunately, it currently hurts a lot and drains a lot of blood. That little cotton pad catches the blood and gore that runs out. Several times a day I have to clean inside the nose with hydrogen peroxide. Did you know that it burns to put hydrogen peroxide in a raw nose? As you might guess, I feel pretty lousy, like little fires raging inside your sinus cavities where they rotor-rooted out the tissue. Let me just say that you ain’t never had a sinus headache like this one!

It will take 3-4 weeks to completely heal. There are plastic tubes sewed inside my nose. They act as splints to hold the septum straight while it heals. In a week I go back to have them removed. I am not supposed to do anything strenuous, lift heavy objects, or get my heart rate up for another week. Then only light duties for week three. By the time I get back on the lake, maybe it will be a little cooler! Cecelia will be so tired of me that she will be begging me to go fishing.

So, if you get bored with fishing, give me a call and let me help you find other interesting things to do.

dpiper
    Hey Dan that looks like one operation you don't want to have during Flu season.

One question, Is cranking aa reel concidered light duty?

piper, cranking a reel is probably light duty but those big blues could be problem.

Registerd user Master in FishingTX dwaynez's Avatar
    Dan

I have not had a sinus surgery, but it could be in my future plans down the road. I usually get 2-3 sinus infections a year. It used to be more, but I started trying some alternate methods of preparing for the weather.

One little trick I found to help prevent sinus and allergies is to take a teaspoon of honey that is made in your local area and either add it to your tea or just eat it plain. This will give you the sniffles and sneezes for a few days, but in the long run it builds up you immunity to the things that bother your sinuses and allergies.

Sure is a lot cheaper to buy honey than to pay for meds and dr visits. I still get them, but not as often as I used to.

Hope you get to feeling better soon
    Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
    -Mark Twain

dpiper
    At least you can pound on a computer.

Randy
    I have been needing the same thing done, My snoozer has been busted afew times over the years, but I have been putting it off cause I don't know what the affects of smelling that stink bait at full strength would be like........
    tylerdan, take care and heal up fast.......

I have never been able to smell things very well either. That is a great blessing when stink bait and diapers are concerned!